Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
May 19, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #7,936 of 10,023
Interesting, what kind of custom headphone are you looking at getting?
I asked about a Karelian Birch green Gjallarhorn JM edition.

May 19, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #7,938 of 10,023
That sounds incredible. If you can get it I would love to see pictures of it.
Of course, I'll post some photos when I get a hold of it. Kennerton told me they're in the process of stabilizing the wood.

May 20, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #7,939 of 10,023
I wanted to report on using a Synergistic Research Foundation headphone cable with both my Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition Mark 2 and my Rognir bass-tuned headphones. I compared this $449 (1 meter length) SRF cable with both the stock OFC copper cables that came with both Kennertons and with the upgraded braided OFC copper cable that comes with the Rognirs. I also tried a pricey aftermarket UPOCC copper cable on the JME2. The SR uses some type of silver conductors called a silver string, whatever that is, but apparently a silver conductor deposited onto a dielectric tube. Yes, SR is a polarizing company that makes some what I would call "curious" products that stretch credulity such as minute machined metal parts that attach to various areas in the listening room and other items that could best be described as relying on pseudoscience or alchemy.

However, their cables are a different matter entirely. When I previously used a USB cable from my laptop to a DAC I found the SR USB cable to soundly trounce every other USB cable I tried including USB cables with costs up to $500. Similarly, the SR Foundation cable easily bested every other headphone cable I have tried and by a wide margin. I also use High Fidelity cables in my headphone system and I would describe the SRF cables' effects as similar to those of the HFC cables. There is a sense of ease and dynamics while being spacious, smooth, and an instrumental clarity that is mesmerizing. It is easy to hear how instruments are played and each instrumental line stands proud from the mix. The best way to describe it is that you can follow each instrumental line on whichever you decide to focus, i.e. the bass, guitar, bass drum, keyboard, voice, or other instrument. Once the system warms up you get a sense that you are sitting on the soundstage with the players; one person I know refers to this as "spatial solidity".

I would highly recommend seeking out this cable. If you can find one used it would be a honking good deal and hopefully you will like it as much as I do.
what model cable can i ask link maybe- I know when I hook up my GH50JM Mk2 up to anything detailed it really shines-

May 20, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #7,940 of 10,023
what model cable can i ask link maybe- I know when I hook up my GH50JM Mk2 up to anything detailed it really shines-
Hi, John: The link to the Synergistic Research headphone cables is below. The interesting thing about SR cables is rather than simply changing the number, size, and materials of conductors and dielectrics, they employ some different technologies, such as configuration, of them along with improved shielding. I just happened along when someone was selling a cable with 3.5 mm connectors and I tried it on a whim. It was considerably better than the terrible stock microphonic OFC cable and easily bested an aftermarket UPOCC copper cable, providing a lot more detail which, as you mentioned, seems to be a boon to the JME2. It also improves the Rognir, enhancing the spatiality, detail, and bass.

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/cables/foundation/foundation-headphone/

May 24, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #7,942 of 10,023
In case anyone wants to see my comparison between the Rognir and the DCA Stealth, I posted it in the Stealth thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dan...w-interview-measurements.959214/post-16906103

I was shocked in that the comparison was so damned close for both headphones...I thought the Rognir was going to easily beat the Stealth, but it wasn't the case. They're pretty much neck and neck.
the problem is you're using solid pads. I went for 2 weeks with the zmf universal hybrid non perforated back to stock(bass tuned with perforated) the last few days and my god the difference is unreal.... like I literally have the pads up for sale at the time I swapped them I had put the rognir's away safe from the world (sorry I felt like I needed to treasure them for a while) and I listened to them for the last 2 weeks with the zmf hybrids and just came back to the stock pads. I am astonished at the difference it makes and I just feel like the zmf pads made the Rognir sound way worse more so than the stock pad make made them sound out of this world for me....

I'll give my biggest noticeable differences right now, the micro and macro dynamics are superior with the stock, so is the bass it doesn't sound like its hitting a wall and stopping...... it's like the bass came to life texture liveliness extension all came back. The soundstage doesn't sound diffused anymore which I didn't notice because I had them locked up for months and left the zmf pads on before I did. I wasn't sure why I was so disappointed when i started listening to them.... now I know why.

May 24, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #7,944 of 10,023
Currently, I need money, so I decided to sell KENNERTON Rognir.

I'm currently in Korea, so is there anyone who can buy this? I'm wondering.
I'd sell my wife(i dont have one, just a joke) and house before.... :p sorry to hear hope the Rognir finds a wonderful home !!

May 24, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #7,945 of 10,023
the problem is you're using solid pads. I went for 2 weeks with the zmf universal hybrid non perforated back to stock(bass tuned with perforated) the last few days and my god the difference is unreal.... like I literally have the pads up for sale at the time I swapped them I had put the rognir's away safe from the world (sorry I felt like I needed to treasure them for a while) and I listened to them for the last 2 weeks with the zmf hybrids and just came back to the stock pads. I am astonished at the difference it makes and I just feel like the zmf pads made the Rognir sound way worse more so than the stock pad make made them sound out of this world for me....

I'll give my biggest noticeable differences right now, the micro and macro dynamics are superior with the stock, so is the bass it doesn't sound like its hitting a wall and stopping...... it's like the bass came to life texture liveliness extension all came back. The soundstage doesn't sound diffused anymore which I didn't notice because I had them locked up for months and left the zmf pads on before I did. I wasn't sure why I was so disappointed when i started listening to them.... now I know why.

I didn't like the stock perforated pads to be honest. @John Massaria 's pads strike a better balance (non-fuzzy one). It's solid on the outside, but the inner ring is perforated to open things up a bit without costing too much on isolation and bass.

May 24, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #7,946 of 10,023
I didn't like the stock perforated pads to be honest. @John Massaria 's pads strike a better balance (non-fuzzy one). It's solid on the outside, but the inner ring is perforated to open things up a bit without costing too much on isolation and bass.
OMG that reminds me! I have ear pads!!! tons of em!!!! PM me for the headphones size you have (100mm or 105mm) and I will send anyone out both version (fuzzy and perforated gel) pads for $65 shipped in USA - I need to clear house! I have a gazilion brand new ear pads and my wife just found em! lol im in trouble! dang it ! wish this world would get back to normal but for now someone gona get great deal on new pads

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #7,947 of 10,023
Probably not the best thing but I taped some small pieces of black electrical tape over the perforations inside the perforated stock Rognir pads just to see what kind of effect it had for little to no cost and I like the effect. As I mentioned previously, these things have space, space, and more space along with great transparency, speed, and detail. The one thing they don't have is bass on a lot of recordings. Or should I say that there is great, extended, fast bass with fabulous pitch definition but it is minimal in weight. In no way would I ever trade more spaciousness, transparency, speed, or detail at the expense of bass weight as they don't need to be any more lightweight. I have been listening almost solely to the Rognirs so when I went back to the Gjallarhorn GH50 JME2 there was a welcome amount of bass and dynamics but they also sounded closed-in, bass-prominent, and slow by comparison to the Rognirs. I guess you cannot have it all.

May 24, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #7,948 of 10,023
OMG that reminds me! I have ear pads!!! tons of em!!!! PM me for the headphones size you have (100mm or 105mm) and I will send anyone out both version (fuzzy and perforated gel) pads for $65 shipped in USA - I need to clear house! I have a gazilion brand new ear pads and my wife just found em! lol im in trouble! dang it ! wish this world would get back to normal but for now someone gona get great deal on new pads
what are your pads ?

May 24, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #7,949 of 10,023
https://www.head-fi.org/threadgallery/732814?page=5
click pic to enlarge (soft memory foam fluffy and soft perforated gel pad I have some 105mm and some 100mm sizes left that the wife yelled at me for having new in plastic)
33F1A4D1-782F-44B8-917F-D20AE4EBDFC8.jpeg
71B32B9A-418D-4A09-A006-CD1B54F61B5C.jpeg
20220309_171010-01.jpeg

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #7,950 of 10,023
@John Massaria I was referring to this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back