Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Apr 28, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #61 of 10,023
Ok so the Magister is an FA-003Ti + Bog Oak Helix cups + Leather ECL-01 ear pads + Magister cable. FYI the woody versions of FA-003Ti-W where using Amphitheatre wood cups but the Magister is using Helix wood cups. Basically Helix just adds spikes on the inside back of the cup, the amphitheatre is flat on the back. But drivers remain the same between all FA-003Ti and Magister, neither has angled drivers.

Amphitheatre:

Helix:

The Difference between Helix and Amphitheatre Cups

We use patented helix system in the most expensive versions of wooden cups. The process of making such cups is very labor intensive and time-consuming. But the result attained when you use this configuration is worth the effort. An Amphitheatre is a set of flat surfaces located at various depths and creating a pattern of favorable reflections. A helix does not have any flat surfaces and is asymmetric at every point; therefore, it disperses sound waves inside the cup chaotically, giving an incomparably richer pattern of internal re-reflections than an Amphitheatre. A helix provides better resonance suppression system that means that the dispersion of sound waves is much higher.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #62 of 10,023
  Ok so the Magister is an FA-003Ti + Bog Oak Helix cups + Leather ECL-01 ear pads + Magister cable. FYI the woody FA-003Ti-W was using Amphitheatre wood cups but the Magister is using Helix wood cups. The Helix just adds the spikes on the inside back of the cup and the amphitheatre is flat. But drivers remain the same between all FA-003Ti and Magister, neither has angled drivers.

Huh... I guess I'd want to hear both before saying anything for certain, but it seems like a pretty big price jump with that in consideration.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #63 of 10,023
^ Its quite normal in the headphone world, Mr Speakers Alpha that sell for $1K are just modded t50rp that cost $100.

A little known fact is that the beyerdynamic T1, T5p, T90, T70/p actually share the same drivers, the differences in sound only come from coil impedance, angled or flat mount driver, leather or velour ear pads, open or closed, and different cables. DT990/880/770 also share exact same drivers.
The cost of many headphones is not directly related to how much they cost to produce. The T5p sounds, looks and feels better than T70p even though they share exact same driver and will only cost beyerdynamic slightly more to produce T5p, but it is priced un-proportionally much higher than T70p.

Same goes for the Magister, it sounds, looks and feels better than the FA-003Ti even though same driver.

Whether the price difference is worth it is simply up to the individual. If you understand the breakdown I gave then you see Magister is just as good value as T5p . Actually I wood take the Magister over the T5p just for those glorious wood cups!

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #65 of 10,023
  Actually there is little more to it still. Damping and resonance suppression tuning also applied, and newer driver revision.

But surely newly built FA-003Ti will eventually get the same driver revisions? Anyway, revisions usually aren't a big deal (which is backed up by the lack of your advertising it in this case) and Beyer, Senn and AKG have also done revisions on their drivers without mentioning it just like this case also.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #66 of 10,023

But surely newly built FA-003Ti will eventually get the same driver revisions? Anyway, revisions usually aren't a big deal (which is backed up by the lack of your advertising it in this case) and Beyer, Senn and AKG have also done revisions on their drivers without mentioning it just like this case also.

Depends. I'm not saying it is big, but its not necessary the same. Ti's will not this reveision anytime soon (if ever), as recent bunch was made with older one, and we still have many in stock.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #67 of 10,023
Well I'm tempted to buy a Magister at any rate, they are nice headphones. Just gotta sort out TH600 vs Magister somehow. Already tried AKT5p, needed very specific pairings to shine so out for me.

May 15, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #70 of 10,023

Our model Kennerton ODIN was demonstrated a live in September 2014 in Berlin at the exhibition IFA-2014, which contains a huge amount of enthusiastic reviews not only from simple visitors, but also from representatives of the world's leading companies producing headphones.

After the IFA-2014 we started production. We ourselves have developed a driver and produce it in small lots in St. Petersburg (Russia). All our headphones assembled manually.

Each instance is exposed to debugging and testing. Therefore, the manufacturing process takes a long time.
But we are not looking for the quantity. It is much more important get a really cool sound and dignified workmanship. And soon we will present the first batch of these headphones on the market.
However, in recent times it has been seen in exhibitions samples suspiciously resembling our model as appearance and description. We dare to assure that our development is unique, and all copies thereof, which appeared after September 2014 - it is just an imitation, not having the most important - our unique driver inside.

Sincerely, Kennerton Team.

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #71 of 10,023
I bought the Magister in France through P Paya (Casques&Headphones) and these cans really compete with the TH900 even more closed and very nice trebles (perhaps the driver titanium made).

What about the Odin ?? None seen in Munich.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #73 of 10,023
This Kennerton Odin may become a serious ABYSS alternative ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back