Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Feb 21, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #7,276 of 10,023
That charts’ all wrong -
for me it’s the Gh50JM-MK2 at the summit
(lol yea I’m biased but it’s a true story)

Feb 21, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #7,277 of 10,023
Man, I just am wowed by these Rognir Dynamics paired with the Burson Conductor 3R and the v6 vivid opamps. These opamps are known for a sound that focuses on soundstage, imaging, and clarity (I don't want to say brightness is the right word, but it will definitely make already bright headphones moreso).

With the rolled back treble response of the RD's these opamps make this headphone shine. This is the first closed back I've heard where the soundstage sounds like it expands well outside of your head, and the sound is very balanced yet full and fun to listen to all while being able to pick out details and precise locations on the soundstage.

Feb 21, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #7,278 of 10,023
(A very long) Review on Cypher here if anyone wants to read it... (and yes- it works amazing with ALL my headphones better than any amp I ever heard- even my Apache in many ways)
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/co...eadphone-amplifier.25706/reviews#review-27978
A very interesting amp and a good article and comments.
I also like the mention of low power tube amps with sensitive speakers and your comment which I also agree with 100%; my speaker system is 3.5 watts, 45 based, and sounds gorgeous with sensitive MTM speakers.

The 6W6 family have very good curves when triode wired and are highly regarded, being likened to the 45 (which I use and love).
As for push-pull; I nearly built a 45 Push-pull amp which was rated to have very good sound, SET-like, so I can believe the Cypher can be superb.

The comments on single ended vs push-pull are generally good, but I stress the word 'generally' as they are not absolute truths. If the valve has very low distortion, there is perhaps no need for a cct that reduces distortion (which is perhaps why a 45 PP can work well, and this amp also).
In hifi, theory etc does not take you all that far; whatever works well and sounds good, is good, whatever the theory and common perceptions.

It is a shame I cannot find much detail of the circuit, but I guess the 2 12AU7's are phase splitters; no gain stage in front. MY EL11 SET headphone amps do not use a driver stage, and sound better for this; so I guess this amp also benefits from removing an unnecessary stage. Good!!!!

The big unknown is the output transformer, as this will make or break a transformer coupled amp and I'm sure this amp uses something special.
If I could find the exact OPTs I'd be very tempted to build something very similar. But I'm also tempted to mod a spare SET headphone amp to try the 6W6/50L6 family as it looks an excellent valve.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #7,279 of 10,023
Finally I got my "pair" of Rognir Dynamics and GH40, in Bog Oak and Brazilian Palisander.

DSC_2583.jpg

Here's RP (in Purple Heart) and RD side by side.

DSC_9102.jpg

No sound comparison. I have no idea if I'll ever do it. (I rarely listen to headphones one after another for comparison, I just mostly enjoy the music and too lazy to do frequent headphones swapping).

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #7,281 of 10,023
Can someone summarize or point me to a post that compares the the Rognir planar vs dynamic and GH40 vs GH50 vs JM. With all the different models I can’t just wrap my head around it
I’ll give it a yeoman’s try with the caveat that i only own the Rögnir planar and the Gjallarhorn JM (Mk2 mod).

1) Go GH40 if you want maximum portability (or prefer biocellulose driver sound over graphene coated).
2) GH50 has great (epic) bass.
3) JM has more articulate bass and I would argue a more nuanced overall FR while still maintaining a dark leaning presentation
4) Rögnir Dynamic — excellent overall dynamic closed back
5) Rögnir planar — my closed back planar nirvana

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #7,282 of 10,023
I’ll give it a yeoman’s try with the caveat that i only own the Rögnir planar and the Gjallarhorn JM (Mk2 mod).

1) Go GH40 if you want maximum portability (or prefer biocellulose driver sound over graphene coated).
3) JM has more articulate bass and I would argue a more nuanced overall FR while still maintaining a dark leaning presentation
3) Rögnir Dynamic — excellent overall dynamic closed back
4) Rögnir planar — my closed back planar nirvana
How would you compare/contrast the sound between the graphene coated and biocellulous drivers? Is it something that you can articulate?

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #7,283 of 10,023
Finally got my Rognir back. So far, first impression is that I like them more than my VC's so far - which is a really high bar to clear. I'm torn between the dynamic pads and the stock pads. Which pads do you guys prefer (for those of you that have Rognir planars)?

I'm very impressed with Kennerton! They really hit it out of the park with these headphones.

20220222_213500.jpg

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #7,284 of 10,023
Finally I got my "pair" of Rognir Dynamics and GH40, in Bog Oak and Brazilian Palisander.

DSC_2583.jpg

Here's RP (in Purple Heart) and RD side by side.

DSC_9102.jpg

No sound comparison. I have no idea if I'll ever do it. (I rarely listen to headphones one after another for comparison, I just mostly enjoy the music and too lazy to do frequent headphones swapping).
Those 40s look phenomenal 😳

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #7,285 of 10,023
Finally got my Rognir back. So far, first impression is that I like them more than my VC's so far - which is a really high bar to clear. I'm torn between the dynamic pads and the stock pads. Which pads do you guys prefer (for those of you that have Rognir planars)?

I'm very impressed with Kennerton! They really hit it out of the park with these headphones.

20220222_213500.jpg
Dang! That's art, absolutely gorgeous.

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #7,286 of 10,023
How would you compare/contrast the sound between the graphene coated and biocellulous drivers? Is it something that you can articulate?
I cannot but there are a few posts back which talk more about the treble “sheen” of the graphene compared to biocellulose within context of earlier Vali versus newer Vali which I assume may also inform GH40 versus GH50 contrasts.

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #7,287 of 10,023

20220222_213500.jpg
I love my VCs but I must admit the Rögnirs get more usage.

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #7,289 of 10,023

4) Rögnir Dynamic — excellent overall dynamic closed back
5) Rögnir planar — my closed back planar nirvana
Thank you! In terms of presentation and soundstage, are they all pretty similar?

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #7,290 of 10,023
I'm actually surprised how well the Rognirs pair with a tube amp
Agreed. I encountered some bad mojo trying to mix DCA and Hifiman planars with an OFT tube amp but the Rögnirs were great likely due to the much higher sensitivity / ease to drive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back