Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Feb 13, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #7,186 of 10,121
Dark coffee? Same as mine ☕

Worth also trying the "bass tuned pads" if you don't already have them. I find them even more comfortable than stock.
I was wondering what exactly the name of those pads was. Are they the Rognir Dynamic pads? The way Kennerton names their accessories is really opaque.

Feb 13, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #7,187 of 10,121
Can someone explain to me what "heavy bass tuning" on the Rognir means?

Can you order this headphone with different tunings?
You can order either the headphones tuned this way, or order headphones neutral and swap pads for bass tuning. Latter option seems preferable to me, as I don't think you can go from bass tuned headphones to neutral. Might be wrong.

I have neutral with bass pads. Basically, they slightly elevate mid-bass without any bloom. It's subtle but effective and my preferred configuration.

Feb 13, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #7,188 of 10,121
The bassy heavy tuning is more or less just a fuller sound vs more neutral natural sound- its very slight - Ivan said most people at Kennerton factory prefer the more fuller sound... thats what my Rognir tuning is and I love it as is - but when using the different pads with preforations according to Ivan and me listening to my pair it brings it closer to the more neutral tuning - the three pads Kennerton has allows similar tuning from more neutral to more bassy if that makes sense

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #7,189 of 10,121
I was wondering what exactly the name of those pads was. Are they the Rognir Dynamic pads? The way Kennerton names their accessories is really opaque.
Yes, exactly - they're stock pads for Dynamic.

I agree on Kennerton being opaque - they need to study how ZMF give tutorials on pad rolling and more broadly on the ZMF style of giving specific information on gear.

Feb 13, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #7,190 of 10,121
Yes, exactly - they're stock pads for Dynamic.

I agree on Kennerton being opaque - they need to study how ZMF give tutorials on pad rolling and more broadly on the ZMF style of giving specific information on gear.
I have no idea which one is ECL-01 and which is ECL-02. And weirdly neither one lists Rognir as a compatible headphone.

Feb 13, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #7,191 of 10,121
I have no idea which one is ECL-01 and which is ECL-02. And weirdly neither one lists Rognir as a compatible headphone.
You need to ask for ECL-01 non perforated, as far as I recall.

Feb 13, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #7,193 of 10,121
BTW: for those folks who have bought ECL-01 non perforated, how do you position yours? I notice that on the Kennerton website, the Dynamic Rognirs have their pads, such that the line is at the back. On the Rognir Planar, I find this creates an open seal at the front. Thus, I've found for me the best seal is with the line at the top, as below. Anyone else?

20220213_200612.JPG

Feb 13, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #7,194 of 10,121
OH MY GOSH - the insane dynamics of the GH50JM-Mk2

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #7,195 of 10,121
If they fit a Gjallerhorn they’ll fit the HP-2. I know what you mean about the noisy headband
I put it on the HP Diamonds and Gjallarhorn

Feb 13, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #7,196 of 10,121
You need to ask for ECL-01 non perforated, as far as I recall.
When I spoke to Kennerton rep a week or two back, he mentioned they were going to update the pad compatibility listings in the near future and call out Rögnir versions.

Feb 13, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #7,197 of 10,121
I just brought my Gjallarhorn GH50 JME Mark 2 phones to a local friend who has the ultimate boat anchor solid-state amp, the Wells Audio HeadTrip II Version II, all $15K of it. I believe it has the same specs as the regular HeadTrip II, a mere $7K. This includes 25W into 33 ohms.

So, yes, it sounded great, very fast, spacious, and detailed with great bass extension and dynamic impact. It has a nearly opposite presentation of my Quicksilver amp which has that big, upfront, warm, dynamic presentation with fleshed-out images. Which is better? Can I have both? Ahhhh, why not! My take on it is that I prefer the QS on less dynamic recordings and the WA on more dynamic recordings like the Bruce Katz Band Transformation.

Anyway, it was fun.

Feb 13, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #7,198 of 10,121
The bassy heavy tuning is more or less just a fuller sound vs more neutral natural sound- its very slight - Ivan said most people at Kennerton factory prefer the more fuller sound... thats what my Rognir tuning is and I love it as is - but when using the different pads with preforations according to Ivan and me listening to my pair it brings it closer to the more neutral tuning - the three pads Kennerton has allows similar tuning from more neutral to more bassy if that makes sense
Is there a "bass version" and a "heavy bass tuning version" or are they the same thing?

Feb 13, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #7,199 of 10,121
Same thing - I call it full bodied but they call it heavy bass or bass version- you can request a frequency graph of the difference

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #7,200 of 10,121
Anyone ever listen to the Rognir on a Burson Conductor? I have a 3XP as my bedside listening setup, and the vocals are wrong... like, way recessed vocals and what seems to be an off tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back