Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 10, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #5,716 of 10,023
Maybe you mean the Eikons? They were ZMF's flagship before the Verites came along....imo you get much more value for the money with those
VC are better than Eikons but its a significant price difference

All current LSA/Kennerton use the new self-adjustable headband that have a wide arch to fit a big head. As a result depends on the person it may have a loose fit so you may not get the proper seal due to not having enough clamp force. That's where the headband bending technique comes into play especially on closed back headphones where proper seal and isolation is important.
I have a rather massive head. Which means, if I'm reading this right, It should fit fine without having to bend?

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #5,717 of 10,023
I have a rather massive head. Which means, if I'm reading this right, It should fit fine without having to bend?
That should be fine then...if you wear the headphones and it feels like there's a bit of clamp on the side and not just draping on your head...means you're head prob big enough for them w/o requiring bending the band.

Aug 10, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #5,718 of 10,023
1628599605609.png

wow

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #5,719 of 10,023
indeed...I prefer the bat symbol over the heart shaped so I requested it....I thought the heart shaped was a bass port but it turned out to be just an engraving so it was possible to design anything you want - within possible means - on the wood of the Rognir cups.

I must say the cups turned out beyond expectations from my original vision and its thanks to @Kennerton for that effort.

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #5,720 of 10,023
indeed...I prefer the bat symbol over the heart shaped so I requested it....I thought the heart shaped was a bass port but it turned out to be just an engraving so it was possible to design anything you want - within possible means - on the wood of the Rognir cups.

I must say the cups turned out beyond expectations from my original vision and its thanks to @Kennerton for that effort.
probably the best looking headphone ever designed period - wonderful choice - I hope to have mine soon and will post but the color of yours is a historic beauty

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #5,721 of 10,023
I have been looking at getting a pair of closed back headphones and the Kennerton brand has really peaked my interest. I did have a couple questions though before I jump into the Kennerton boat. I do apologize if this has already been asked/answered in this thread, I didn't see it after a quick search.

Has there been a direct comparison between the HP-2 Ultra, Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM, and the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH 50?

Comfort is very important to me and it seems like with the Kennerton you have to do bending to get them to fit properly do you have to do that on the HP-2 Ultra too?

Are the Kennerton Gjallarhorn models comparable to the AH-D9200/ZMF VC/Aeon 2C/other headphones in the $1k-$1.5k range? They seem to be around the same price as those headphones. Well, used for the ZMF VC...if you can find them.

Again, apologizes if all this has been answered/asked already.
Here you have a comparison of these cans: Comparison between the Audio-Technica ATH-WP900, the Denon AH-D9200, the Fostex TH900 Mk2, and the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 written by our friend @Malevolent I hope it will be useful for you.

Just go to the first page of the closed back headphones thread by him and there are a lot of useful comparisons linked :relaxed:

@Malevolent wants to lead us deep into the rabbit hole :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #5,722 of 10,023
Here you have a comparison of these cans: Comparison between the Audio-Technica ATH-WP900, the Denon AH-D9200, the Fostex TH900 Mk2, and the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 written by our friend @Malevolent I hope it will be useful for you.

Just go to the first page of the closed back headphones thread by him and there are a lot of useful comparisons linked :relaxed:

@Malevolent wants to lead us deep into the rabbit hole :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Thank you. I will give that a read. I did however just buy a pair of the LSA HP-2 Ultras :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But still very interested in the Kennerton headphone line.

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #5,723 of 10,023
I have been looking at getting a pair of closed back headphones and the Kennerton brand has really peaked my interest. I did have a couple questions though before I jump into the Kennerton boat. I do apologize if this has already been asked/answered in this thread, I didn't see it after a quick search.

Has there been a direct comparison between the HP-2 Ultra, Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM, and the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH 50?

Comfort is very important to me and it seems like with the Kennerton you have to do bending to get them to fit properly do you have to do that on the HP-2 Ultra too?

Are the Kennerton Gjallarhorn models comparable to the AH-D9200/ZMF VC/Aeon 2C/other headphones in the $1k-$1.5k range? They seem to be around the same price as those headphones. Well, used for the ZMF VC...if you can find them.

Again, apologizes if all this has been answered/asked already.
To keep things short - it's going to be a long post otherwise, here's my personal rankings of these headphones.

In terms of technicalities -

1) ZMF Vérité Closed
2) Denon AH-D9200 (they are almost neck-and-neck with the ZMF, to be honest)
3) Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed
4) Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 (a close step behind the Dan Clark Audio)

In terms of enjoyment / musicality -

1) Denon AH-D9200
2) ZMF Vérité Closed
3) Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50
4) Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed

If you've got $1,500 to spend, go for the AH-D9200.

The Gjallarhorn GH50 is an enjoyable can. However, if you value clarity, air and a hint of treble brilliance, they won't provide the highs that you crave; they are dark headphones.

Aug 11, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #5,724 of 10,023
To keep things short - it's going to be a long post otherwise, here's my personal rankings of these headphones.

In terms of technicalities -

1) ZMF Vérité Closed
2) Denon AH-D9200 (they are almost neck-and-neck with the ZMF, to be honest)
3) Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed
4) Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 (a close step behind the Dan Clark Audio)

In terms of enjoyment / musicality -

1) Denon AH-D9200
2) ZMF Vérité Closed
3) Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50
4) Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed

If you've got $1,500 to spend, go for the AH-D9200.

The Gjallarhorn GH50 is an enjoyable can. However, if you value clarity, air and a hint of treble brilliance, they won't provide the highs that you crave; they are dark headphones.
Thank you for your advice!

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #5,725 of 10,023
As many know I own a few Gh50JM edition’s- and the last latest version I got has some changes in sound that do make me question how and why it sounds so different than my original modded version - I can say yes for certain they sound darker - Kennerton and I are talking and tweaking more to see if a new revision GH50JM Edition Mk2 will bring more sparkle and clarity with deeper bass - I am working very hard daily on this with them- this may be some break through stuff regarding its sound signature… stay tuned

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #5,726 of 10,023
As many know I own a few Gh50JM edition’s- and the last latest version I got has some changes in sound that do make me question how and why it sounds so different than my original modded version - I can say yes for certain they sound darker - Kennerton and I are talking and tweaking more to see if a new revision GH50JM Edition Mk2 will bring more sparkle and clarity with deeper bass - I am working very hard daily on this with them- this may be some break through stuff regarding its sound signature… stay tuned
I bought the limited edition ‘Baltic Sea’ version of the Gjallarhorn JM Edition almost two years ago. Neither ‘dark’ nor ‘bright’ are adjectives that describe the GH/JM sound to me. For tonal balance etc, the GH/JM rank as even and as highly as my ZMF Auteur.

Aug 11, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #5,727 of 10,023
Well, I think it helps metal listeners to connect better with the brand, if existing users profess their enjoyment of said genre with their headphones. :)

I'm no metal-head myself (sorry, guys!), but, in general, my interest would be (heavily) piqued if a brand's headphones are constantly discussed in conjunction with my favorite genres of music.
The closest brand to music genre (Metal) has to be Abyss.

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #5,728 of 10,023
I bought the limited edition ‘Baltic Sea’ version of the Gjallarhorn JM Edition almost two years ago. Neither ‘dark’ nor ‘bright’ are adjectives that describe the GH/JM sound to me. For tonal balance etc, the GH/JM rank as even and as highly as my ZMF Auteur.
The latest version of the GH50JM Edition I received has a slight tuning change that I did not like (although they are certainly the most gorgeous looking HP I ever seen in person... but speaking just on sq I do know I can make 2 changes to bring them to even better performance than my original tuning easily). There is always room for improvement and if Kennerton is willing I would like to help actually tune the GH50JM Edition to Mk2 level - further past my original tuning - but the one unannounced change they did make I just discovered in my latest version and made me realize it's a step backward in sq. For me - Kennerton always looks to improve sound quality and is usually open to making positive changes and I believe what separates them from other company's and why they are so awesome- they listen to their customers... but honesty is my only policy - the new changes to the latest edition is not the same anymore but rather more muted and less detailed as I hear it - I said something to Ivan and I know what the change was that made the change in sq (its a simple fix not driver related at all)- so far I have not heard back - my goal and vow is always to make improvements not going backwards ever- and I will never keep my opinions to myself or secret- I expect honesty with myself and others always- I am here to help makes things better

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #5,729 of 10,023
The latest version I received has a slight tuning change- there is always room for improvement and if Kennerton willing I would like to help to make more changes for the better with the latest version - I would think they are open to making things always improve which makes Kennerton so awesome
Have you received your Rögnir? (I don't know if the pics you published were from Kennerton). If so, what are your first impressions?

Aug 12, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #5,730 of 10,023
Have you received your Rögnir? (I don't know if the pics you published were from Kennerton). If so, what are your first impressions?
My rognir is coming soon I hope
I’m very excited

Users who are viewing this thread

Back