Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 21, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #4,306 of 10,023
Hi.

The V3 version of the Magni would be preferable to the V2 (and V1) version because it uses a solid wood structure that would eliminate some intermediate resonant plastic parts at the junction of the cups and the driver. The sound would be cleaner and more balanced.

For the FR graph below, made by the RAA measurement site, do not take into account the frequency peak at 5.5 Khz, it is a notorious measurement artifact, for example found in all Focal headphones.

21012101332423553817223118.jpg

PS: Review to read on the Magni V3 showing the physical differences between the two other versions (V1 and V2) : https://soundnews.net/headphones/full-size/kennerton-magni-review/

kennerton-magni-all-3-versions_small.jpg
Thank you very much for the detailed information!. I will definitely look for the V3 then.

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #4,307 of 10,023
Today I've visited Kennerton's office. Listened to Rognir's prototype, that's very close to the final version.

20210121_185026.jpg

20210121_190641.jpg

Sorry for my idiotic facial expression, I'm not good at selfies.

What can I say, well balanced and spot on:
  • I suppose this headphone will establish new standard of how close back headphones should sound. I'm trying to keep myself together.
  • I suppose Rognir sounds better than every other Kennerton headphones. Except for Thror, which I did not listen to.
  • Rognir tends to be slightly V-shaped, but without any sharp peaks or deeps, so they sound very harmonic.
  • Unbelievably high dynamics and fast punch. While listening to the swipe tone with the naked ear Rognir are completely flat below 1200 Hz. In this part of frequency range it sounds like Utopia, you can take a look at its measurements. Like there's no rise in bass, but you can hear slam. Very fast driver, to my ear (headphones were connected with balanced cable).
  • Sound delivery is "tasty", "fun" and involving, but not honky, sharp, blurry or bassy at the same time. There is no "signature" Kennerton's peak at 11 kHz. Sound is very comforting and beautiful. I don't know, how can it be that at the same time, seriously.
  • New earpads. Look the same, but much softer and way more comfortable than everything Kennerton did before. Near ideal.

It's still a prototype, but dammit... i'm intrigued as never before. Especially considering it's a closed back model.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #4,308 of 10,023
Today I've visited Kennerton's office. Listened to Rognir's prototype, that's very close to the final version.

• I suppose this headphone will establish new standard of how close back headphones should sound. I'm trying to keep myself together.
  • I suppose Rognir sounds better than every other Kennerton headphones. Except for Thror, which I did not listen to.
  • Rognir tends to be slightly V-shaped, but without any sharp peaks or deeps, so they sound very harmonic.
  • Unbelievably high dynamics and fast punch. While listening to the swipe tone with the naked ear Rognir are completely flat below 1200 Hz. In this part of frequency range it sounds like Utopia, you can take a look at its measurements. Like there's no rise in bass, but you can hear slam. Very fast driver, to my ear (headphones were connected with balanced cable).
  • Sound delivery is "tasty", "fun" and involving, but not honky, sharp, blurry or bassy at the same time. There is no "signature" Kennerton's peak at 11 kHz. Sound is very comforting and beautiful. I don't know, how can it be that at the same time, seriously.
  • New earpads. Look the same, but much softer and way more comfortable than everything Kennerton did before. Near ideal.

It's still a prototype, but dammit... i'm intrigued as never before. Especially considering it's a closed back model.
Wow.

There are now two of us (at least) to be intrigued by this closed-back planar headphones.
The design of the cups is even more complex than I thought.

Coming from you, your first appreciations of these headphones (prototype in the process of being finalized) are very precious: the sound seems realy very promising. :)

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #4,309 of 10,023

20210121_185026.jpg

20210121_190641.jpg

Not so closed, judging by this little grid on the rear of the cups ... Even a little less than the Magni or GH 50.

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #4,310 of 10,023
Not so closed, judging by this little grid on the rear of the cups ... Even a little less than the Magni or GH 50.

Indeed.

But, according to another Russian user, the sound insulation of the Rögnir would be comparable to that of the Gjallarhorn, despite these two small ventilation grids located at the back and top of the headphones.

хорошая звукоизоляция у них получается?

На уровне Gjallarhorn

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ken...hror-discussion.732814/page-284#post-16108384

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #4,311 of 10,023
Indeed.

But, according to another Russian user, the sound insulation of the Rögnir would be comparable to that of the Gjallarhorn, despite these two small ventilation grids located at the back and top of the headphones.

хорошая звукоизоляция у них получается?

На уровне Gjallarhorn

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kennerton-odin-magister-vali-magni-gjallarhorn-rögnir-thridi-wodan-thekk-and-thror-discussion.732814/page-284#post-16108384

And also no holes on the earpads, unlike the open planars (These open planars can't work whithout holes on the earpads, according to Valentin).

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #4,313 of 10,023
IT looks so small, I want a full over ear, Not ON ear

Small ???
Driver alone is 80 mm wide. Cups are probably 10 cm wide like on my LSA HP-1 and other Kennerton planars.
Earpads are also probably 105 mm wide like all Kennerton planars' earpads and full over ear.
Look at the size here : https://kennerton.org/shop/ecl-01/

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #4,314 of 10,023
IT looks so small, I want a full over ear, Not ON ear
Hi.

Not so much; in fact, I would have said the opposite.

I have just measured the dimensions of the (unperforated) earpads on the two pictures above of the Kennerton Rögnir tried in preview by our Russian friend Igor Boitsov from St Petersburg, Russia, the author of the now famous blog of the same name, and who will, no doubt, later give us a complete review of the Kennerton Rögnir in its final form, with measurement curves and a full description of the smallest physical details as well as the sound.
In short, with the help of a decimeter, knowing that the emerging length of the miniXLR connector of the Custom cable of the Rögnir measures precisely 25 mm, I deduce that the outside diameter of the earpads measures 105 mm, and the inside diameter (using the second photo), at least 60 mm. This is a full size, over-ear, closed-back headphones, not on-ear.

And also no holes on the earpads, unlike the open planars (These open planars can't work whithout holes on the earpads, according to Valentin).

Indeed, planar membranes, at Kennerton, need to "breathe" to express themselves fully, hence the need for holes in the ear-pads for open planar headphones, and in the very particular case of the Rögnir, a closed-back planar headphones, the presence of these two small holes (small ventilation grids) on the back and top of the wooden cups, which are very elaborate and "complicated" so that the new planar membrane of the Rognir (whose thickness has until now been kept secret) can express itself freely.

Moreover, this will avoid accidents of overpressure of the planar membrane when the headphone Rögnir will be placed on the head with the seal.
Finally, the ears will be less hot inside, especially in hot countries: this internal ventilation of the headphone will undoubtedly be welcome.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #4,315 of 10,023
Received my Magni today! Only have about 90 minutes on it, but color me impressed. Is there any video on how to properly bend the headband without messing it up? If not, can somebody walk me through the process? The fit isn't terrible, but it could definitely stand to be a bit tighter.

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #4,316 of 10,023
Received my Magni today! Only have about 90 minutes on it, but color me impressed. Is there any video on how to properly bend the headband without messing it up? If not, can somebody walk me through the process? The fit isn't terrible, but it could definitely stand to be a bit tighter.
Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition 2nd Generation Horn Graphine Closed Back - Reviews | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org (head-fi.org) gives some hints on how to do it.

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #4,317 of 10,023

Hi.

The bass level (SPL) of the Magni (and Gjallarhorn) are very dependent on the clamping level of the headphones.
The stronger the headphones clamping, the stronger the bass.
The new flexible and soft headband on the Magni (and Gjallarhorn) is quite loose.

Indeed, apart from the big heads, you can (and should) strengthen the headphone clamping by twisting the metal branches of the headband as suggested by John Massaria (with his Gjallarhorn JM Edition) and as indicated by @frost15 in his review of the same Gjallarhorn JM Edition, sharing the same headband, and the same high-tech driver technology as the Magni.

@frost15 gives some hints on how to twist the metal headband to reinforce the headphone's base clamping (Gjallarhorn, but also Magni).

Quote @frost15: "The first thing I noticed out of the box was how comfortable these headphones were, yet the clamp wasn't great and they tended to move up and down too much, which generated a kind of inconsistent sound. I found myself re-adjusting the cans too often and it became a bit problematic. That's when I realized how important is to bend the metal band just like John Massaria specified in his review. At first I went a bit shy on the bending and I did not like the results I was getting, then I went too strong and the clamp was too hard. It was a tedious task and it took me about 2 hours of different bending angles to find the sweet spot, but once I found it was pure bliss sonically and comfort wise.

11367087.jpg

The bend should be done with both hands simultaneously, pulling inward at the same time shylessly. Repeat the operation on both sides. Test the clamp and re-bend outward/inward to find the right spot. "

Source: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ke...e-closed-back.24769/reviews#item-review-24802

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #4,318 of 10,023
Hi.

The bass level (SPL) of the Magni (and Gjallarhorn) are very dependent on the clamping level of the headphones.
The stronger the headphones clamping, the stronger the bass.
The new flexible and soft headband on the Magni (and Gjallarhorn) is quite loose.

Indeed, apart from the big heads, you can (and should) strengthen the headphone clamping by twisting the metal branches of the headband as suggested by John Massaria (with his Gjallarhorn JM Edition) and as indicated by @frost15 in his review of the same Gjallarhorn JM Edition, sharing the same headband, and the same high-tech driver technology as the Magni.

@frost15 gives some hints on how to twist the metal headband to reinforce the headphone's base clamping (Gjallarhorn, but also Magni).

Quote @frost15: "The first thing I noticed out of the box was how comfortable these headphones were, yet the clamp wasn't great and they tended to move up and down too much, which generated a kind of inconsistent sound. I found myself re-adjusting the cans too often and it became a bit problematic. That's when I realized how important is to bend the metal band just like John Massaria specified in his review. At first I went a bit shy on the bending and I did not like the results I was getting, then I went too strong and the clamp was too hard. It was a tedious task and it took me about 2 hours of different bending angles to find the sweet spot, but once I found it was pure bliss sonically and comfort wise.

11367087.jpg

The bend should be done with both hands simultaneously, pulling inward at the same time shylessly. Repeat the operation on both sides. Test the clamp and re-bend outward/inward to find the right spot. "

Source: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ke...e-closed-back.24769/reviews#item-review-24802
Yeah guys, the bending is a MUST. I cannot stress this enough.

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #4,319 of 10,023
Thanks for the tips. Are we trying to bend the metal band in uniform - so it keeps the nature round curve, or are we bending the lower section only inward, creating an unnatural curve? Seems this way would make it look a little deformed.
Also - Is this normal (pictured) with the pads? I know it doesn't affect the sound, but it definitely looks strange.
20210122_114350.jpg

Jan 22, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #4,320 of 10,023
Thanks for the tips. Are we trying to bend the metal band in uniform - so it keeps the nature round curve, or are we bending the lower section only inward, creating an unnatural curve? Seems this way would make it look a little deformed.
Also - Is this normal (pictured) with the pads? I know it doesn't affect the sound, but it definitely looks strange. 20210122_114350.jpg
I don't know about the pads (mine are a bit asymmetric) but the curve after the metal bending does look a bit crazy. Here is the picture from my review
11366803.jpg

Notice how the earpads touch each other when set inwards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back