Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 18, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #3,257 of 10,026
Great article in English, very interested and enjoyable to read.
So, next step should be an high end closed back planar Headphones to compete against the ZMF Verite closed as well as the Stellia (the 2 main closed back references) maybe the GH-50 should be already above them, or the same level.
If anyone could compare them, it will be very useful and exciting.

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #3,258 of 10,026
Aug 19, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #3,259 of 10,026
maybe the GH-50 should be already above them, or the same level.
I own a Verite C and a GH50, I like the GH50, but it‘s not at the same level as the Verite.
The GH50 actually has a bigger stage, but the Verite separates better and the GH50 generally isn’t as resolving, It has more bass, but doesn’t present it with as much slam or impact.
The Verite has a more Neutral sound signature, but I don’t think the GH50 is trying to be neutral, it’s one of those headphones with a very unique sound, mine is in my regular rotation because of that uniqueness.

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #3,261 of 10,026
Hello everyone- it’s been a while - as you may have read my prior reviews of the Magni and the Ghorn GH50 modded by me - I am the very proud owner of the Wodans and am submitting my review for them now as they continue to break in- https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kennerton-wodan.24558/

Aug 20, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #3,262 of 10,026
Hello everyone- it’s been a while - as you may have read my prior reviews of the Magni and the Ghorn GH50 modded by me - I am the very proud owner of the Wodans and am submitting my review for them now as they continue to break in- https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kennerton-wodan.24558/
The upgraded Kennerton cable looks really well made

From the review
"and certainly better than the Meze Empyrean (not even close for detail compared to Wodan) which I absolutely loath because of the hype surrounding them- they are easily bettered by so many headphones in that price range"

I completely disagree, I can't name a single headphone in that price category that can best the Empyrean.
Sure I didn't audition all of them, but the Empyrean are far from overrated, rather underrated due to their "non linear" tuning.

I am very eager to test the Kennerton line up to compare them myself, but the Empyrean is a hard nut to crack. Especially if you also count in comfort

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #3,263 of 10,026

Thank you John, for this very interesting review of the Kennerton Wodan (open planar headphones) compared to your modified Gjallarhorn (closed-back electrodynamic headphones reinforced by a horn).

I discover with you a very serious competitor for the place of N°1 of the Kennerton fans! :beyersmile: :)

I note, that the Wodan described in your review is a very precise and detailed headphones, especially in the bass, more than with the (modified) Gjallarhorn and also than the Meze Empyrean ...

Quote:
" I am replaying the Woman in Chains song right now and between the GH50 and Wodans - the Wodans are more musically perfect and not by a small margin. But I do think I prefer the deep penetrating bass of the modded JM Version of the GH50 but they lack the detail of the Wodan. Subtract the bass impact of the GH50 and the Wodans beat the pants off any headphone I have heard- any Sennheiser under $2500 and certainly better than the Meze Empyrean (not even close for detail compared to Wodan) which I absolutely loath because of the hype surrounding them- they are easily bettered by so many headphones in that price range- clear case in point is the Wodan. Period. The bass is very very tight and accurate even at 35hours of break in. The bass keeps getting better with the Wodans and they already beat so many lesser designed headphones."

Otherwise, have you been able to listen to the Thekk and compare it to the Wodan?
I think the Thekk is a must have headphones when you're interested in Kennerton headphones, and planar headphones in particular.

Attached below are the FR comparisons of the Wodan ECL-01 with the Thekk ECL-01.

20082010105023553816973750.jpg

(Note: do not take into account on this graph the peak at 5.5 Khz and the trough at 9 KHz, these are known measurement artefacts from the RAA site).

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #3,264 of 10,026
Thank you John, for this very interesting review of the Kennerton Wodan (open planar headphones) compared to your modified Gjallarhorn (closed-back electrodynamic headphones reinforced by a horn).

I discover with you a very serious competitor for the place of N°1 of the Kennerton fans! :beyersmile: :)

I note, that the Wodan described in your review is a very precise and detailed headphones, especially in the bass, more than with the (modified) Gjallarhorn and also than the Meze Empyrean ...

Quote:
" I am replaying the Woman in Chains song right now and between the GH50 and Wodans - the Wodans are more musically perfect and not by a small margin. But I do think I prefer the deep penetrating bass of the modded JM Version of the GH50 but they lack the detail of the Wodan. Subtract the bass impact of the GH50 and the Wodans beat the pants off any headphone I have heard- any Sennheiser under $2500 and certainly better than the Meze Empyrean (not even close for detail compared to Wodan) which I absolutely loath because of the hype surrounding them- they are easily bettered by so many headphones in that price range- clear case in point is the Wodan. Period. The bass is very very tight and accurate even at 35hours of break in. The bass keeps getting better with the Wodans and they already beat so many lesser designed headphones."

Otherwise, have you been able to listen to the Thekk and compare it to the Wodan?
I think the Thekk is a must have headphones when you're interested in Kennerton headphones, and planar headphones in particular.

Attached below are the FR comparisons of the Wodan ECL-01 with the Thekk ECL-01.

(Note: do not take into account on this graph the peak at 5.5 Khz and the trough at 9 KHz, these are known measurement artefacts from the RAA site).
So according to the graphs the Wodan has more sub Bass than the Thekk?!

From reviews I always had the impression it is the other way round

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #3,265 of 10,026
So according to the graphs the Wodan has more sub Bass than the Thekk?!

From reviews I always had the impression it is the other way round

It is possible, but it seems minimal (and probably not very audible) on this graph.

On the other hand, the higher level (peak) at 3 KHz for the Wodan versus Thekk, on this graph, must, for its part, be well heard and appear as a coloration that can modify the higher harmonics of human voices.

I think, in this sense, that by its better linearity, Thekk is more neutral (and natural) than Wodan, for the restitution of human voices (both for the fundamental notes, between 80 Hz and 1000 Hz (from the Bass voice to the Soprano voice), and for the higher harmonics of these same notes, between 1500 and 4500 Hz, for these same voices (male and female).

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #3,266 of 10,026
The upgraded Kennerton cable looks really well made

From the review
"and certainly better than the Meze Empyrean (not even close for detail compared to Wodan) which I absolutely loath because of the hype surrounding them- they are easily bettered by so many headphones in that price range"

I completely disagree, I can't name a single headphone in that price category that can best the Empyrean.
Sure I didn't audition all of them, but the Empyrean are far from overrated, rather underrated due to their "non linear" tuning.

I am very eager to test the Kennerton line up to compare them myself, but the Empyrean is a hard nut to crack. Especially if you also count in comfort
I understand- the Empyrean is a sexy looking headphone with comfort and build quality and tons of press- but the Empyrean doesn't have the detail of the Wodan. William Murdock said the same thing in his review of the Wodan vs the Empyrean - 'the Empyrian don't have the detail anywhere close to the Wodan.'
I should add the bass on the Empyrean is a bit lazier than the bass quality on the Wodan. The Empyrean is a bit rolled off in upper region- a pleasing sound but certainly not as detailed as Wodan. It's not near as fatiguing detailed like a Hifiman HE1000SE - and I am still at 60hrs of break in for Wodan... I think the actual use of real wood (Wodan) vs the plastic or metal composite or carbon fiber adds to the unraveling the mystery here- while I love the use of carbon fiber it must add some sort of sound that can not compare with wood.

Quote:

I have not heard the Thekk yet- I know its one I have my eye on (soon my ears too I hope)- but I am loving the Wodan ... and my modded GH50 oh so much... lol.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #3,267 of 10,026
I understand- the Empyrean is a sexy looking headphone with comfort and build quality and tons of press- but the Empyrean doesn't have the detail of the Wodan. William Murdock said the same thing in his review of the Wodan vs the Empyrean - 'the Empyrian do have the detail anywhere close to the Wodan.'
I should add the bass on the Empyrean is a bit lazier than the bass quality on the Wodan. The Empyrean is a bit rolled off in upper region- a pleasing sound but certainly not as detailed as Wodan. It's not near as fatiguing detailed like a Hifiman HE1000SE - and I am still at 60hrs of break in for Wodan... I think the actual use of real wood (Wodan) vs the plastic or metal composite or carbon fiber adds to the unraveling the mystery here- while I love the use of carbon fiber it must add some sort of sound that can not compare with wood.

Thx for the review, last 40 minutes went by so fast.

It once again confirmed, that the Wodan isn't for me

Aug 20, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #3,268 of 10,026

I should mention I am still breaking mine in- I will add things as they come up. One thing I really noticed and will post pictures of- the ear pads are stitched unevenly compared to my Dakoni Elite Hybrids - and I am still evaluating sound of different pads as the headphone continues to break in- all addressed in review

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #3,269 of 10,026

Hi.

It is quite possible, especially if you like the sound of your Meze Empyrean very much.

It seems that the Wodan is a less dark headphones and with a less thick-sounding tonality than the Empy; moreover, the supposed higher resolution and presence of the Wodan, especially in the high-midds and low-treble tonality, may be less pleasant to hear, especially on bad recordings (or a little hard in this frequency range), than the Empy (which is probably more permissive than the Wodan on bad recordings).

20082005105723553816974892.jpg

Perhaps the Thekk, also very detailed, but perhaps a little darker than the Wodan would suit you better?

If you can try to compare them ... :)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #3,270 of 10,026
Hi.

It is quite possible, especially if you like the sound of your Meze Empyrean very much.

It seems that the Wodan is a less dark headphones and with a less thick-sounding tonality than the Empy; moreover, the supposed higher resolution and presence of the Wodan, especially in the high-midds and low-treble tonality, may be less pleasant to hear, especially on bad recordings (or a little hard in this frequency range), than the Empy (which is probably more permissive than the Wodan on bad recordings).

Perhaps the Thekk, also very detailed, but perhaps a little darker than the Wodan would suit you better?

If you can try to compare them ... :)
Yeah really interested in the Thekk and somehow also in the Gjallarhorn, even though the latter isnt in the same League as the flagships.

Unfortunately car maintenance is unexpectedly expensive this year, so no new headphones for me any time soon.

I must admit that these Kennerton cans are currently the only headphones I am still interested in trying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back