Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 10, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #301 of 10,023
Karelian birch sure looks good.

By the way, out of curiosity, any update/news on the Vali? Seems to be pretty quiet about this one since the announcement.
In the website it still listed as pre-order, so I guess it's not out yet.

Anyway, any news about it?

5 French testers, enough "old"
wink.gif
and experienced are volunteered to test, at home, the new Kennerton Vali which will be lent by the French distributor (P. Paya) of the brand Kennerton ; this french distributor should receive in January (or February) 2016 the first copies of the K. Vali available in the world; a kind of "Beta Test"; I am the volunteer 5th included in the list; I should give an assessment of this headphone (which, of course, I'll compare with my K. Odin).
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178738695.html#p178738695

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #302 of 10,023

5 French testers, enough "old"
wink.gif
 and experienced are volunteered to test, at home, the new Kennerton Vali which will be lent by the French distributor (P. Paya) of the brand Kennerton ; this french distributor should receive in January (or February) 2016 the first copies of the K. Vali available in the world; a kind of "Beta Test"; I am the volunteer 5th included in the list; I should give an assessment of this headphone (which, of course, I'll compare with my K. Odin).
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178738695.html#p178738695

Glad to hear that! Will wait for the impression/review. I wonder if my local (Thailand) Kennerton-dealer/distributor will also get it, and if so, when. So I can audit it myself.

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #303 of 10,023
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #304 of 10,023

Subscribe! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise, very soon a comparison of the Enigmacoustics Dharma D1000 with the Kennerton Odin, by dub (in french)

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/casques-sedentaires-f1483/dharma-d1000-casque-hybride-electro-statique-dynamique-t30063725-150.html

Interesting. I'm waiting for my Dharma now. Audited it at Jaben Thailand late October and liked it enough to order it right away. However, it seems to take longer than I thought since they don't have it in stock (too niche). Should get the Dharma later this month. Normally I don't write headphones reviews, but I might do a comparison writeup as well.

Jan 10, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #305 of 10,023
Dharma D1000 Vs Odin (french review, by dub)

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178761345.html#p178761345

The Odin (more expensive) remains more powerful in the bass (with more foundation) than the D1000; it also has a fuller midrange (and richer) and the treble are softer ; it sounds with a more natural and truthful manner.

The D1000 (less expensive) is more demonstrative and incisive than the K. Odin; the tone is clearer with an upper midrange and treble more forward (and even quite significantly forward) ; It please also.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #306 of 10,023

The Odin (more expensive) remains more powerful in the bass (with more foundation) than the D1000; it also has a fuller midrange (and richer) and the treble are softer ; it sounds with a more natural and truthful manner.

The D1000 (less expensive) is more demonstrative and incisive than the K. Odin; the tone is clearer with an upper midrange and treble more forward (and even quite significantly forward) ; It please also.

That's exactly how I think it would come out, from my memory of Dharma when I audited it in October (and briefly again in December). Still waiting for mine so I can really do extensive comparison with the same settings. (The shop I audited doesn't have my DAC/Amp so I can't really call it fair).

Hope my Dharma would be arriving soon, possibly this or next week.

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #308 of 10,023

It was a bit hard for me to decipher based on the grammar of the translation but which one had the wider soundstage based on his impressions?

sorry for two back to back posts. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #309 of 10,023

It was a bit hard for me to decipher based on the grammar of the translation but which one had the wider soundstage based on his impressions?

sorry for two back to back posts. 

If I'm not wrong, Odin don't provide a wide scene, but with D1000, it's a little "behind the head" and not right between the ears (with Waters' Too Much Rope from Amused to Death, but also with string quartets: 1st and 2nd violin are little low and back)

B.r. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #310 of 10,023

Dear kind sir,

Would you be able to compare the Odin to the Pioneer Se-master 1?

I don't own SE-MASTER1 (had an opportunity to listen them for a couple of weeks), so I'll quote some lines from my mini-review in a metal cans thread (more - in a head post of http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution) 

Sound signature of headphones is deliberately neutral. But, not quite absolutely completely neutral ) Highs are no problem - detail worthy TOTL title in the absence of brightness which can strain on Senns 800 or say AKG 812. Mids perhaps could be neutral and natural, but taste of mids... I do not like such cold and "gray" mids (can't find another words). The same 800 I think neutrally and are neutral-neutral in my view proceeds in the light color. LF particular, with the rise of fashion, but not linear, an impression that is raised mostly lower bass (without continuing to bully sub-bass). Rather like effectively, quickly and without busting by volume. The scene is spacious in size, decent stamp (but not the stadium like the course 800).
But first, one more feature. Compared to 800 (and not only to them), there is something "material" in a sound, a sort of "dark matter". No veil, such kind of substance, that is not obstructing the lens, not masking details, but anyway clearly presents, giving the "weight" of the sound. Is this good or bad? Hard to say. I'm more at side of ease and transparency of the heart 800. But that's what can generate interest om classical music.
Total. Headphones I did not like. And the problem is - I did not found a "spark" for me. A technical performance is very, very good, true TOTL headphones.

So, comparing Odins vs SE-MASTER1 I would be far from objectictive )) I really like sound signature of Odins. And don't find MASTER1 interesting for me at all. I could (and let me know if I should) carry on with comparison, but wheter It will be useful - I have doubts.

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #311 of 10,023
I don't own SE-MASTER1 (had an opportunity to listen them for a couple of weeks), so I'll quote some lines from my mini-review in a metal cans thread (more - in a head post of http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution)
"Sound signature of headphones is deliberately neutral. But, not quite absolutely completely neutral ) Highs are no problem - detail worthy TOTL title in the absence of brightness which can strain on Senns 800 or say AKG 812. Mids perhaps could be neutral and natural, but taste of mids... I do not like such cold and "gray" mids (can't find another words). The same 800 I think neutrally and are neutral-neutral in my view proceeds in the light color. LF particular, with the rise of fashion, but not linear, an impression that is raised mostly lower bass (without continuing to bully sub-bass). Rather like effectively, quickly and without busting by volume. The scene is spacious in size, decent stamp (but not the stadium like the course 800).
But first, one more feature. Compared to 800 (and not only to them), there is something "material" in a sound, a sort of "dark matter". No veil, such kind of substance, that is not obstructing the lens, not masking details, but anyway clearly presents, giving the "weight" of the sound. Is this good or bad? Hard to say. I'm more at side of ease and transparency of the heart 800. But that's what can generate interest om classical music.
Total. Headphones I did not like. And the problem is - I did not found a "spark" for me. A technical performance is very, very good, true TOTL headphones."

So, comparing Odins vs SE-MASTER1 I would be far from objectictive )) I really like sound signature of Odins. And don't find MASTER1 interesting for me at all. I could (and let me know if I should) carry on with comparison, but wheter It will be useful - I have doubts.

Well, if I summarizes a number of reviews of the owners of Odin, given in this thread:

You seem to better appreciate the Odin than the Pioneer Se-master 1.

Dub seems to better appreciate the Odin than the following headphones :
HE-6
LCD-X
HD-800
HE-1000
HE-X
Dharma D1000
although obviously, all these headphones are not the same price, and have many qualities (matter of preference?).

Myself, I appreciate more the Odin (with my current amp) than the following headphones :
HD-800
LCD3-F
Stax SR-007 mk2 (with the Stax SRM 727 and the Luminare amp)
Stax SR-009 (with the Stax SRM 727 and the Luminare amp, too).

Other listener (misterc) likes as Odin as Abyss (nb: appreciation of these two headphones varies depending on the size of musicians ensemble and the style of listened music).

(Nb : see the link for the synthesis of the different "listening impressions" of the K.Odin : http://www.head-fi.org/t/791653/kennerton-odin-listening-impressions#post_12173077).

Finally, the K. Odin is, perhaps, not so bad headphone than that?
smily_headphones1.gif

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #312 of 10,023

Sound signature of headphones is deliberately neutral. But, not quite absolutely completely neutral ) Highs are no problem - detail worthy TOTL title in the absence of brightness which can strain on Senns 800 or say AKG 812. Mids perhaps could be neutral and natural, but taste of mids... I do not like such cold and "gray" mids (can't find another words). The same 800 I think neutrally and are neutral-neutral in my view proceeds in the light color. LF particular, with the rise of fashion, but not linear, an impression that is raised mostly lower bass (without continuing to bully sub-bass). Rather like effectively, quickly and without busting by volume. The scene is spacious in size, decent stamp (but not the stadium like the course 800).
Total. Headphones I did not like. And the problem is - I did not found a "spark" for me. A technical performance is very, very good, true TOTL headphones.

if you could compare sound signatures that would be awesome! 

My key desires are instrument separation. Sound stage atleast as wide as say the LCD-x or LCD3f. transparency. Strong and nimble transient action (not soft attacks but engaging like the he-6)

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #313 of 10,023
If you like also the powerful bass, I think that Levap will answer you:

1- Abyss (if you like the strong and articulating bass, and a big width of the sound stage, and also all you have described above).

2- K. Odin (if you do not want to spend as much money as the Abyss and if you do not mind to have a sound stage more conventional in width (comparable to the LCD-X and LCD3-F), but more precise, for focusing and localization of instruments; also with a less demanding amplification (for power) than Abyss.

Otherwise, I posed your question on the French forum
(link: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178762821.html#p178762821)
(NB: dub's answer is quite strange
wink.gif
)

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #315 of 10,023
"US newbie !!!"  Sorry, that was not my intention!

Comparatively, it's more me who am a newbie; especially compared to the dub's experience for listening to headphones.
His reviews (and his humor), not always easy to translate with a translator, are very popular on the French forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back