Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Nov 30, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #3,901 of 10,023
Good morning all !

First, I would like to thank all of you, for that great interest you are showing up on Kennerton Headphones

I haven't stepped back in here in years, and will no longer be doing it after this post.

I'm coming here for I aim to say :

1) Whatever I think, whatever I say, and I said it on "Musique O Casques" ,All I may say, only involves me.
It doesn't matter what I'm thinking. More important is what each of you is experiencing

2) I do not wish to offend anyone by announcing that I do not like JM mode, which for me "extinguishes" the life and dynamics of Gjallarhorn, an exceptional product so far...

3) Eric has been fired from all French forums for his stubbornness to argue about headphones which he finds no interest in listening to...:sunglasses:
He indeed refused to listen to the Gjallarhorn after I offered him a loan...

Having said that, I know you will be keeping your crtical mind regarding the written interventions of people who "speak" without having experienced, and also you will be keeping to sort through the rumours and the facts

And to put an end to this post, below is what I have just got from Mr Valentin Kazanzhi, CEO of Kennerton after I let him know about these bullshits :

Eric :

Otherwise, a question to ask Kennerton: how can the French buy a Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition headphone or a Kennerton Wodan headphone or a Kennerton M12 Studio, or a Kennerton JORD, since these four headphones do not appear in the sales catalog from the French importer: https://www.casques-headphones.com/portefeuille/Kennerton-c49575661
Apparently these four headphones do not interest Pierre Paya, the French importer from Kennerton in France.

Mr Kazanzhi :

........you were our main "comrade in arms" and partner. And I sincerely hope that this will be the case in the future. And I would like to be with you "on this front line" next to you. Because I believe you, I respect you, and I trust you.

Best regards,
Valentin.

Sorry Eric, your game is not working....

Kind regards to you all of you and long live Head-Fi !

Pierre Paya French importer of Kennerton products

Sans titre.png

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #3,902 of 10,023
Good morning all !

First, I would like to thank all of you, for that great interest you are showing up on Kennerton Headphones

I haven't stepped back in here in years, and will no longer be doing it after this post.

I'm coming here for I aim to say :

1) Whatever I think, whatever I say, and I said it on "Musique O Casques" ,All I may say, only involves me.
It doesn't matter what I'm thinking. More important is what each of you is experiencing

2) I do not wish to offend anyone by announcing that I do not like JM mode, which for me "extinguishes" the life and dynamics of Gjallarhorn, an exceptional product so far...

3) Eric has been fired from all French forums for his stubbornness to argue about headphones which he finds no interest in listening to...:sunglasses:
He indeed refused to listen to the Gjallarhorn after I offered him a loan...

Having said that, I know you will be keeping your crtical mind regarding the written interventions of people who "speak" without having experienced, and also you will be keeping to sort through the rumours and the facts

And to put an end to this post, here is what I have just got from Mr Valentin Kazanzhi, CEO of Kennerton :

........you were our main "comrade in arms" and partner. And I sincerely hope that this will be the case in the future. And I would like to be with you "on this front line" next to you. Because I believe you, I respect you, and I trust you.

Best regards,
Valentin.

Sorry Eric, your game is not working....

Kind regards to you all of you and long live Head-Fi !

Pierre Paya French importer of Kennerton products

Sans titre.png
It would be nice to hear more from you Pierre! Since french is not as common as english we could have interesting arguments in a polite way with people all around the globe. In the end this is a hobby for all of us; we enjoy listening to music and sharing our experiences. As I've already said I completely respect your opinion even though I can't understand your perception at all haha (my review of the JM Gjallarhorns clearly states why). Peace.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #3,903 of 10,023
As for glasses it dont make much of a difference. I usually have them on top of the earpad anyway. Not quite sure why they should be inside unless you have a very small nose :)

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #3,904 of 10,023
I was about to place an order for the Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition, but then I realized I will be wearing glasses most of the time. There will most likely be a slight gap between the glasses frames and the earpads.

Since this headphone is so fit/seal dependent and you need to bend the headband to get the best audio quality, is it not a wise decision to purchase this? Anyone wearing glasses with GH50 JM Edition can test if you suffer heavy audio quality loss?
I can definitely answer you, since I wear glasses most of the time... except when I listen to music with over-ear headphones (closed backs specially). As @eric65 mentioned the bass is pretty much destroyed when the glasses open a gap in the upper part of the can and the JM Gjallarhorns NEED all the bass from the seal in order to sound properly, so if you are going to wear glasses I would look somewhere else for sure. Nevertheless I have to mention that I remember there was an earpad mod that allowed the glasses temple to sit inside the earpad it by making a precise cut, but that takes guts and precision so... If I need "full vision activated" and need to listen to music at the same time I just put on contact lenses.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #3,906 of 10,023
Yes certainly gets very individual with headshape and glasses design. I couldn´t detect a difference either with magnis earpads or the GH-50s earpads. What people need is a way to compress the earpads for more juicy midrange with the GH-50 :D just the clamping force from the headband is not enough to achieve that not to mention the long term comfort :)

If I would do another endevour with pad switching I would find one with a slightly less cavity and a bit thinner to get the driver closer to the ear. Wonder if there is some ingenius way to flatten the existing earpads like putting them in a press or something.

Nov 30, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #3,907 of 10,023
While I am waiting for the ECL-02 pads to arrive I decided to try the Eikon pads I still have laying around and from the brief listening I have done so far it gives the LSA HP-1 a move V shaped sound, which is not a bad thing with the HP-1 since it is kind of flat. The Eikon pads are quite a bit thicker and the overall experience is less comfortable but it isn't half as bad as I imagined.
Back to waiting for the ECL-02 pads now :p

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #3,908 of 10,023
Regarding the seal on the Gjallarhorn GH50, the bass is at its absolute best when the clamp is naturally strong, but not overbearing (i.e. stock, out-of-the-box experience). If I press on the headband or if I push the cups closer together, the bass texture, quantity and/or quality changes (in varying degrees). Hence, I don't think I'd make any amendments to the current Gjallarhorn; I love it in its stock form.

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #3,909 of 10,023
thats what's so great about this hobby! customization and different ideas of what we like and don not like- I love the GH50 JM Edition newly released by Kennerton more than any other HP; open back, closed back, electrostatic or planar or even IEM period. Numerous close friends and engineers I am friends with all feel the same exact way when I let the try a few half dozen in my collection in person- the JM Edition does the most right and the least wrong of any other headphone they ever heard- including my first gen Mod edition- yes the JM Edition has tighter bass but not as much quantity as my mod- which for certain/most songs I like more. Take it for what that is or worth anyway you want- I could care less what peope buy or mod- I make ZERO dollars from anyones purchase because I do not distribute headphones for a living or as a side job, I do not work for any audio company. For headband- I need a tight seal for best sound with Kennerton Magni, or the GH50- so I bend the band to obtain best sound pressure and max performance and isolation- I recomend someone who buys these try slightly pushing gently on cups inward and holding them there while playing music to hear/see if they need to fit tighter- and make adjustments based on that test. Mod bend headband or don't bend, and mod with fluffy flexible dots OR don't mod- I think it's great you could mod and then unmod the same headphone in less than a half hour! HOW awesome! On to glasses- I wear reading glasses occasionally and never experienced problem with fit after I adjusted headband to fit a nice tight seal. They are pin point accurate headphones with very tight enjoyable bass unlike any other HP i have yet heard - be it headcamjams or over friends homes. I did the mod b/c I didn't like the reverb in the GH50 in stock form- for me I am very time phase acute aware- and certainly feel the mod was necessary - and stand by all the recommendations/statements I made in the 2 reviews- the latest being linked https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ke...d-generation-horn-graphine-closed-back.24769/ AND 1st https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/the-kennerton-gjallarhorn-modified-review.24478/

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #3,910 of 10,023
thats what's so great about this hobby! customization and different ideas of what we like and don not like- I love the GH50 JM Edition newly released by Kennerton more than any other HP; open back, closed back, electrostatic or planar or even IEM period. Numerous close friends and engineers I am friends with all feel the same exact way when I let the try a few half dozen in my collection in person- the JM Edition does the most right and the least wrong of any other headphone they ever heard- including my first gen Mod edition- yes the JM Edition has tighter bass but not as much quantity as my mod- which for certain/most songs I like more. Take it for what that is or worth anyway you want- I could care less what peope buy or mod- I make ZERO dollars from anyones purchase because I do not distribute headphones for a living or as a side job, I do not work for any audio company. For headband- I need a tight seal for best sound with Kennerton Magni, or the GH50- so I bend it to obtain best sound pressure and max performance- I recomend someone who buys these try slightly pushing gently on cups inward and holding them there to see if they need to fit tighter- and make adjustments based on that test. Mod bend headband or don't bend, and mod with fluffy flexible dots OR don't mod- I think it's great you could mod and then unmod the same headphone in less than a half hour! HOW awesome! On to glasses- I wear reading glasses occasionally and never experienced problem with fit after I adjusted headband to fit a nice tight seal. They are pin point accurate headphones with very tight enjoyable bass unlike any other HP i have yet heard - be it headcamjams or over friends homes. I did the mod b/c I didn't like the reverb in the GH50 in stock form- for me I am very time phase acute aware- and certainly feel the mod was necessary - and stand by all the recommendations/statements I made in the 2 reviews- the latest being linked https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ke...d-generation-horn-graphine-closed-back.24769/ AND 1st https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/the-kennerton-gjallarhorn-modified-review.24478/

Great ! :)

Quote (JM) " For headband- I need a tight seal for best sound with Kennerton Magni, or the GH50- so I bend it to obtain best sound pressure and max performance- I recomend someone who buys these try slightly pushing gently on cups inward and holding them there to see if they need to fit tighter- and make adjustments based on that test. Mod bend headband or don't bend, and mod with fluffy flexible dots OR don't mod- I think it's great you could mod and then unmod the same headphone in less than a half hour! HOW awesome! On to glasses- I wear reading glasses occasionally and never experienced problem with fit after I adjusted headband to fit a nice tight seal. "

That's what I did (and also recommend to do) with the Magni V2 (which I gave to my musician friend's son) (and he's very happy about it).
(Note: I had bought the Magni V2 for my eldest son; in the end he prefers the Thror (*) which he borrowed, let's say, for a very long time period :beyersmile:).
For my part, I'm content with the Thekk! :)

EDIT : (*) For three good reasons:
- the Thror is an open headphones, and my son likes to hear what's going on next to him.
- The Thror is more airy than the Magni V2 for the sound stage.
- the Thror is more neutral and fine than the Magni V2, especially when listening to the piano.

On his workstation KORG Kronos 61, he uses a small boost in the bass, with the integrated equalizer, to correct a slight lack of bass with this headphones Thror.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #3,911 of 10,023
Yes certainly gets very individual with headshape and glasses design. I couldn´t detect a difference either with magnis earpads or the GH-50s earpads. What people need is a way to compress the earpads for more juicy midrange with the GH-50 :D just the clamping force from the headband is not enough to achieve that not to mention the long term comfort :)

If I would do another endevour with pad switching I would find one with a slightly less cavity and a bit thinner to get the driver closer to the ear. Wonder if there is some ingenius way to flatten the existing earpads like putting them in a press or something.
Yep that's true. I myself use wide temples glasses so the gap they create is pretty noticeable and the sound is definitely affected. I guess thinner and/or narrower temples wouldn't affect the sound as much or nothing at all.
Changing directions, I'm still amazed by the JM horns depth of sound. Many albums sound completely different with this sound signature. It's a big studio kind of sound, and it completely gets me everytime. Yesterday I went to my friend's house. He is a piano player and an avid music lover. He never went deep into the audiophile market but he's got pretty good entry level cans and sources. When he heard the music through the JM horns his first reaction was of complete awe. He remarked the sound was so wide and deep at the same time (Michael Scott: "That's what she said :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:") it felt like being played in front of you in a theater. Again, soundtracks were what got the best reaction.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #3,912 of 10,023
Hi to all.

Which amplifier to use with Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition headphones?

I don't have the answer, but as in medicine, we can advance by elimination to establish a diagnosis: the examinations carried out make it possible to tell a patient that he does not have this or that pathology; as to know what the patient presents as pathology, well it's a whole different story; it is necessary to seek still ...by elimination.

All I can say with the Gjallarhorn GH 50 (and its JM Edition version) is that one should think before using a tube amplifier with a not very good signal-to-noise ratio.

To give you a concrete example: I have a priori a very good tube amp, a Viva 2A3, reputed to be silent (even a little more than its big brother the Viva 845) which however presents a little breath (hum) perceptible in the silence with an Odin mk2 (sensitivity 104 dB / 1 mW - 40 Ohms https://fischeraudio.store/products/42594891) and which becomes borderline audible (in the greatest silence) with the Thekk (sensitivity 100 db / 1 mW - 40 Ohms https://fischeraudio.store/products/43260838).

On the other hand, with the Magni V2 (sensitivity 112 dB / 1 mW - 33 Ohms https://fischeraudio.store/products/40838053) I have a much higher noise level (more than 10 dB higher) compared to my Thekk, which becomes clearly audible and annoying to hear (on my Viva 2A3 amp) as soon as there is the slightest silence in the music played.
So, with the Gjallarhorn reaching a record sensitivity of 118 dB / mW - 33 Ohms https://fischeraudio.store/products/jmm) in its JM Edition version, well you can imagine the extra noise compared to the Thekk (nearly 20 dB higher) , which is huge, and imho quite incompatible with listening on a tube amp, like mine.

This is perhaps (and even surely) the reason why I can't acquire such high sensitivity headphones, for sedentary use, with my tube amp Viva 2A3.
On the other hand, the Magni V2 works very well (without annoying breath) with my small Matrix M-Stage transistorized amp, which incidentally currently drive the Thror used by my son. But this "little" amp is not as qualitative as my Viva 2A3, far from it.

So, be careful when buying a headphone as sensitive as the Gjallarhorn, or the Magni; this main strength (high sensitivity) can also be a weakness, for some amplifications not very quiet, including the most prestigious ones.

(Note: the optimal sensitivity of headphones to be associated with the Viva 2A3 amp ranges from 90 to 100 dB / 1 mW (roughly speaking from the HE-1000 to the Thekk/Thror, maxi Odin/Utopia with its 104 dB sensitivity), it is important to know this, especially for sensitive ears and allergic to the background noise of the amplifiers).

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #3,913 of 10,023
No issues at all with my trafomatic audio head one so that works :)

Dec 1, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #3,914 of 10,023
To be sincere I don't think the Gjallarhorns need an amp, but I'm one of those guys who likes to keep the audio chain as short as possible. Anyway I don't feel the need for any extra power at all with my 1Z as source.

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #3,915 of 10,023
I always wear my glasses with both my Magni and HP-1. Neither suffer from a seal loss. Think it also depends on the size and width of the arms. I have very slim arms on my glasses and absolutely no issues with seal.
repeating but to be clear- I second that again glasses not an issue for seal for me- everyone has different shaped heads and ears and could be logical conclusion for the difffence of fit- that's why I love the fact that Kennerton has 30 day trial period. When I got my first pair of Magni's and GH50 - I needed to adjust band to fit tight- but glasses never an issue- I guess depends on frame design of your glasses as well... all normal stuff I would think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back