Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jul 30, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #3,196 of 10,023
Do you know by any chance how the Thekk compares to the Meze Empyrean in regards to fullness?
Hi.

I was able to compare the Thror and the Empyrean, and of course the Thror and the Thekk.

The fullness of sound is even more pronounced with the Meze Empyrean.
But the Thekk (like the Thror) is more precise, especially in the bass.
Less pronounced bass, but more precise and fast with these two Kennerton planar headphones.

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #3,197 of 10,023
Hi.

I was able to compare the Thror and the Empyrean, and of course the Thror and the Thekk.

The fullness of sound is even more pronounced with the Meze Empyrean.
But the Thekk (like the Thror) is more precise, especially in the bass.
Less pronounced bass, but more precise and fast with these two Kennerton planar headphones.
Thx :)
Could you also throw in the Gjallahorn into that Comparison?

Would be much appreciated

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #3,198 of 10,023
Thx :)
Could you also throw in the Gjallahorn into that Comparison?

Would be much appreciated

Hi again.

Unfortunately I couldn't try the Gjallarhorn GH 50; it hasn't arrived in France yet, but Pierre Paya, Kennerton's importer in France is expecting to receive it (soon?) and will also make a comparative YouTube video of the Gjallarhorn 50 versus the Magni (3rd generation).

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #3,199 of 10,023
Hi again.

Unfortunately I couldn't try the Gjallarhorn GH 50; it hasn't arrived in France yet, but Pierre Paya, Kennerton's importer in France is expecting to receive it (soon?) and will also make a comparative YouTube video of the Gjallarhorn 50 versus the Magni (3rd generation).
Looking forward to it

Jul 30, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #3,200 of 10,023
Today I got an UPS box with the following:
IMG_20200730_134341.jpg
It went from St. Petersburg to the Netherlands in roughly 3 days. Inside I found
IMG_20200730_134422.jpg
Ah yes the traveling case with the price inside:
IMG_20200730_134557.jpg
A true beauty as far as I am concerned:
IMG_20200730_134737.jpg
IMG_20200730_134759.jpg
My cables have no left/right marking
IMG_20200730_143001.jpg
But other 3.5mm cables can be used like those I use with my Beyerdynamic T5p.2 and T1.2

Out of the box I was scared crap! These sound like an utter piece of crap! Like an 8khz high-pass filter has been applied :frowning2: No bass. No mids. Very soft and distant. Reminded me a bit of an incorrectly wired out-of-phase sound; but then with that 8khz high-pass filter.

Mailed Kennerton and they responded promptly, but the answer was of no use: "Do you have a proper seal? We cannot think of anything else at the moment.".
Since the headphones were send by airmail I thought of one more thing it could have been: sudden air pressure changes that deformed the membrane.
Kennerton responded that it indeed might have happened during the air transport of the headphones.

The headphones already sounded like crap and with a small test before sending them back I tested my hypothesis if I was able to 'fix' them by reverting the pressure build-up. What I did was that I put my hand on the ear cup and pressed down while letting the air escape easily. Once the ear pad was flat I "pulled" my hand up, creating under pressure in the cup: instantly the sound returned. All of it. Did the same for the other cup with the exact same result.

I'm letting them burn in for a bit now since they still sound a bit 'weird' to me but that might be the horn sound(?)
Did you read my reviews on the Ghorn?
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kennerton-magni-vs-gjallarhorn.24462/reviews

and then this
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/the-kennerton-gjallarhorn-modified-review.24478/

Jul 30, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #3,201 of 10,023
Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #3,202 of 10,023
the clamping force is terrible IMHO and the band needs to be bent inwards to really get good fit - other wise sound is off
(from the first review)...

I should note this before we get started - sorry for delay in review but I need to go through this first...
Ok... after letting the Gjallarhorn and Magni break in playing non-stop for a 75hrs+ - I still was unsatisfied with sound. I decided to try something that would transform these headphones into the unbelievable high performers they could be- out of box they both were extremely comfortable (my head is large (62mm)) so I figured they were as they should be... BUT! They were not tight enough I thought- if I press the headphones inward slowly and gently- so not to deform the voice coil or membrane structure - the bass and dynamics would increase tremendously- so I decided to bend the metal band by the left and right indicators on either side evenly (see pic).

d.jpg

Originally I tired bending on top and that made them tighter but look unsymmetrical and a bit funny- so I reshaped the top back to original oval and bent it by the side burn area instead. Yes it's extreme but like a suit that was off the rack... I tailored these headphones like a bespoke custom suit- they now not only fit my head better than stock- but add a transformation to the sound and dynamics that is now addicting- I can't stop listening to the changes this small modification made- and they look completely normal on my head

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #3,204 of 10,023
Hi everyone.Regarding the "Thekk"model.The description of the drivers on Kennerton website is confusing to me..
Re:"Multi-layer 10µm polyimide film diaphragm, tested to have the highest reliability and longevity in the most extreme environmental conditions".... &
"Kennerton 80 mm planar magnetic carbon-fiber speaker".....
Is this a hybrid design where both the Carbon Fibre & Polyimide receive electrical input OR is it just the Polyimide that is the actual transducer,simply held in place by a CF Frame?Thanks much..

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #3,205 of 10,023
Hi everyone.Regarding the "Thekk"model.The description of the drivers on Kennerton website is confusing to me..
Re:"Multi-layer 10µm polyimide film diaphragm, tested to have the highest reliability and longevity in the most extreme environmental conditions".... &
Is this a hybrid design where both the Carbon Fibre & Polyimide receive electrical input OR is it just the Polyimide that is the actual transducer,simply held in place by a CF Frame?Thanks much..
Carbon frame only. Cheers

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #3,206 of 10,023
There is honey cone reinforcing on the polyimide, but I don't know what this is made of. Probably kevlar...someone else might know. Eric65? Cheers

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #3,207 of 10,023
There is honey cone reinforcing on the polyimide, but I don't know what this is made of. Probably kevlar...someone else might know. Eric65? Cheers

Hi.

I'm not in the secret of the gods, but the high-tech drivers equipping the Thror and the Thekk, with a carbon fiber frame construction (against metal frame for the Odin, Thridi and Wodan) have several "secrets" including an unidirectionally pleated (corrugated) membrane, as well as a "honeycomb" membrane reinforcement (material ??), but only on the two outer sides of the membrane (along an axis orthogonal to the pleating of the membrane).
If I understood correctly, according to Valentin, the purpose of these two structures is to reinforce the membrane to prevent it from distending, or even tearing, and also to reduce distortions during high power solicitations.
The carbon frame of the Thror and Thekk, in addition to reducing the weight of the driver, resonates less (in parasitic frequencies) than the metal frame of the Odin and Odin derivatives. The sound is thus cleaner.

20073109034923553816942389.jpg

High-tech Thror and Thekk planar driver.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #3,208 of 10,023
the clamping force is terrible IMHO and the band needs to be bent inwards to really get good fit - other wise sound is off
(from the first review)...

I should note this before we get started - sorry for delay in review but I need to go through this first...
Ok... after letting the Gjallarhorn and Magni break in playing non-stop for a 75hrs+ - I still was unsatisfied with sound. I decided to try something that would transform these headphones into the unbelievable high performers they could be- out of box they both were extremely comfortable (my head is large (62mm)) so I figured they were as they should be... BUT! They were not tight enough I thought- if I press the headphones inward slowly and gently- so not to deform the voice coil or membrane structure - the bass and dynamics would increase tremendously- so I decided to bend the metal band by the left and right indicators on either side evenly (see pic).

d.jpg

Originally I tired bending on top and that made them tighter but look unsymmetrical and a bit funny- so I reshaped the top back to original oval and bent it by the side burn area instead. Yes it's extreme but like a suit that was off the rack... I tailored these headphones like a bespoke custom suit- they now not only fit my head better than stock- but add a transformation to the sound and dynamics that is now addicting- I can't stop listening to the changes this small modification made- and they look completely normal on my head
Hi,
What comparisons can you make with the Gjallarhorn and the Magister Pro ..
Thank you

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #3,209 of 10,023
Hi,
What comparisons can you make with the Gjallarhorn and the Magister Pro ..
Thank you
I haven’t heard the Magister pro
I’m sorry just what is in my review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back