Kennerton Audio Closed-Back Headphones (Rögnir, Gjallarhorn GH50, Magni, M-12S, Jord)
May 30, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #91 of 100
Grab them and let us know!

Done! I did chat with them to make sure it was the 2020 version as I wanted to try that driver over the newer 40mm driver. They realized they had both, but didn't even know of the change, so you can now choose either to order on the site.

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #92 of 100
So far the 2020 M12s sound great, details are fantastic and the sound is well balanced, while still being "fun". Right now have just gotten through some Alternative / Classic Rock / Punk / Rock / Electronic (the more generic-ish stuff, no DnB yet) and have my Loki at approximately +6 20Hz | 0 400Hz |+1 2kHz | +3 8kHz which is pretty consistent with how I usually like to listen.

The ONE thing that may trigger a return is that the self adjusting headband doesn't seem to have enough resistance to hold the weight of the cups, so they just aren't wearing well on my head.... Bummer since I immediately liked the sound. From what I have tried so far on my brief pursuit of my favorite HP, they are like a slightly brighter Meze 99 with 5x the detail and a wider soundstage.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #93 of 100
Yep, put about 4 hours on them and they are SUPER uncomfortable. Back to the drawing board (while listening to the Meze 99's). :frowning2:

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #94 of 100
Yep, put about 4 hours on them and they are SUPER uncomfortable. Back to the drawing board (while listening to the Meze 99's). :frowning2:
It's common for folks to slightly bend the metal headband for a more secure fit. Just make sure that you want to keep them before doing so.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #95 of 100
Haven't seen a lot about the M12s, anyone have experience that could share some thoughts? Audio46 seems to have the "2020" version with the 50mm drivers for $490 on sale right now, might pick those up if they have decent feedback.
What are you looking for in a headphone? The closest, most similar sound signature to the 99 Classics I've heard would probably be the E-mu Teak. More of a balanced sound with better separation, yet still fun, musical, and engaging like the 99s. The Denon ah-d7200 is a solid option as well, though it's a little darker in nature, and the mids are slightly recessed.

Jun 7, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #96 of 100
What are you looking for in a headphone? The closest, most similar sound signature to the 99 Classics I've heard would probably be the E-mu Teak. More of a balanced sound with better separation, yet still fun, musical, and engaging like the 99s. The Denon ah-d7200 is a solid option as well, though it's a little darker in nature, and the mids are slightly recessed.

I really like the sound signature of the 99's but would just like a little more clarity / detail and separation. I could even deal with a little less bass than the 99's to pick up that clarity / detail. I have no problem EQ'ing (I actually enjoy fiddling with it to make the sound match what I enjoy) so if the D7200 responds well to EQ, that may be a good option.

I really wanted to like the M12, it was just painful to wear. May just be my head, but none of the others that I have tried were like that. It was weird too, other than the band not seeming to be able to properly support the cups, even with the looser clamping force it felt like the tops of the pads were digging in to my head.

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #97 of 100
I really like the sound signature of the 99's but would just like a little more clarity / detail and separation. I could even deal with a little less bass than the 99's to pick up that clarity / detail. I have no problem EQ'ing (I actually enjoy fiddling with it to make the sound match what I enjoy) so if the D7200 responds well to EQ, that may be a good option.

I really wanted to like the M12, it was just painful to wear. May just be my head, but none of the others that I have tried were like that. It was weird too, other than the band not seeming to be able to properly support the cups, even with the looser clamping force it felt like the tops of the pads were digging in to my head.
I'd suggest the E-mu Teak

Jun 8, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #99 of 100
Would you suggest the Teak over the D7200s? It's a shame the Teaks that Drop has right now are fixed cables...
Depends on what your preferred sound and listening preferences are. The Teaks have a little more treble energy, but nothing offensive. They sound more neutral than the 7200. Both have excellent weight, dynamics, and transients. The 7200 is relatively dark in the upper mids and lower treble, yet they still have really good resolution up top. I think the bass on the Teaks is a little quicker with less decay, but the bass on the 7200 is a touch more aggressive with more decay. Let me know if you would like any add information.

Jul 7, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #100 of 100
I have a set of GH50s on the way, very excited to try a horn loaded headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back