KEF new headphones!
Jun 27, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #241 of 685
Quote:
Very nice impressions! My impressions are the same with about 20 hours of burn in on the headphones and on my mind. They definitely sound different than many headphones. There's no sense of bass roll off, and the vocals are just so... hard to explain.

Anyway, my WS99 sounds more like a headphone with the common characteristics, but they excel at bassier genres.

Anyone has any tracks that sound great on the m500?

I listened to the whole of Dark Side Of The Moon last night, my favourite album and the one I am most familiar with in terms of sound etc.

The vocals were mesmerising, and like you said they are hard to explain, but it felt like I was in same room with them!

The main thing that stood for me was the drum sound. When I have listened to this album on other headphones in the past, whilst the drum sound is there and noticeable, it has not really made any impression one me (and don't subscribe to the theory it is either Nick Mason's drumming or the production of the album). However, with the M500s, they are really prominent along with all the other instruments, with natural, resonant sound.

In fact, I am finding that all instruments, including any overdubs, backing vocal (and flaws) are exposed with these headphones, the separation is absolutely fantastic without having a wide sound stage, it is all enclosed and very detailed. 

Yes , I am really liking these headphones and so far I am impressed - I need more sound time with them as I have only had them a couple of days so the sound will get looser as time goes on.

Amazing!   
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #242 of 685
Quote:
The esw9a sounded the worse to me, and felt very cheap.
Can't recommend the ATH ESW9a after that short listen.

Momentum sounded nice, but was kinda congested sounding. They had the most bass of the bunch, but not bloated at all. The layering was done very well (didn't touch the 558), and it was overall pretty neutral.

I like the momentum and m500 equally really.

interesting your thoughts on the ESW9 which are complete contrast to mine... I had a good few hours on a pair, the build was top notch & the real wood cups really sets them apart... the SQ was way better to the Amperiors I owned at the time, value for money you'd be hard pressed to fault them imo.

The Momentums are crap, there I said it... the packaging probably cost more than the headphones, you can figure where the R&D money went.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #243 of 685
!!! You think they have good build? It felt very cheap, and if I dropped it, it probably would've broken.
I can see you disliking the momentum though, as its fairly colored.

What's so good about wood? Id much rather have some type of metal.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #244 of 685
Got my kef m500 while staying few days in Hong Kong (2450 hkd). After 4 days of testing. My feed back is this head phone very comfortable to wear. The leather is similar to Bose qc3. But heavier due to the alloy material. Overall build quality is good in fact I think it's better than the Bose one which I have also tried in the show room. Sound quality wise, this head phone is beyond my expectation, base is solid and deep yet not over power like the Bose headphones, like other comments, some songs feels base heavier than some songs lighter than usual. Over all its well presented. Dynamic is well controlled. Played Rebecca Pidgeon's Spanish Harlem (itune version). I can feel I am in the same room as she sang the song.

I think this is a good headphone to replace my half broken Klipsch 10i( been in the washing machine too many times :) )

Jun 27, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #246 of 685
!!! You think they have good build? It felt very cheap, and if I dropped it, it probably would've broken.
I can see you disliking the momentum though, as its fairly colored.

What's so good about wood? Id much rather have some type of metal.

If you think the mo's are coloured what does that make the esw9? :)

I have spent quality time with both and do not think there is a wrong choice. Question of taste and preference.

Incidentally am also an ex-esw9 owner. Unless they're was a ridiculous bargain to be had I would pass due to the swivel mechanism build quality

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #247 of 685
Quote:
I just pulled the trigger.. the KEF M500 should arrive here next Monday. I currently have the Vmoda M100 and Audio Technica's W3000anv, so I would be able to provide a comparisson against those (bear in mind that the W3000anv price is 3x the KEFs).

Looking forward to your comparisons.

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #248 of 685
Esw9a just lacked what I need: basically speed and good layering. I don't really care what the sound signature really is that much, as long as it isn't over the top. Eq can fix that.

Though I did like the look of them, the little hinges (the esw9a) didn't seem stable.

The momentum has emphasized bass that was made very obvious after listening to the m500, and Sony mdr ma900.

Lol, let's just focus on the m500 for now.

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #249 of 685
Just been playing around with different tunes this evening...played Buddy Holly's "It Doesn't Matter Any More", which is a recording over 50 years old and it literally made the hairs on the back of my neck go up. The vocal was eerily present in the room with me. Trying some jazz now, Coltrane and Miles and really digging the versatility of these headphones.

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #250 of 685
Quote:
Just been playing around with different tunes this evening...played Buddy Holly's "It Doesn't Matter Any More", which is a recording over 50 years old and it literally made the hairs on the back of my neck go up. The vocal was eerily present in the room with me. Trying some jazz now, Coltrane and Miles and really digging the versatility of these headphones.

Good to hear. Music just seems to flow so naturally out of these headphones.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #252 of 685
I've been listening to them straight from my iPhone, they sound awesome. I've also tried them on an old iPod Nano, although I only listened to one song (Van Halen). I haven't tried them with an amp yet, that's a week or two away from happening.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #253 of 685
Yep, they sound great without an amp. As I mentioned earlier, amping is an option, not a necessity.

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #254 of 685
I ordered mine a few days ago from kefdirect.com and they should be here on Monday. This is my first post here but I've been lurking for quite a while. Thanks everyone for the reviews and input. I'm a new KEF LS50 owner and I'm really hoping they are in the same ballpark as those phenomenal speakers. 

Craig 
New Orleans, LA

Jun 28, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #255 of 685
Welcome! and Congrats on the M500. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back