KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #407 of 1,358
That's true. The bass on the Momentum sounds boomier so that may make it sound like it's bassier than it would actually measure.

Exactly 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #409 of 1,358
As I write this I am listening to the M200s directly out of my iPhone 5 (Death Cab For Cutie "I Will Possess Your Heart" is playing).  The M200s are not bass heavy to my ears but close to it.  I've only owned them for a week.  They probably have only two hours on them.  Besides the M200s, I have the Heir Audio 4ai, Westone 4R and the Westone UM3X.  The M200s have the most bass out of the bunch.  Still I wouldn't say the M200s are bass heavy.  The bass doesn't take away from the mids and highs.  There hasn't been a song I heard yet that has made me want to use the Bass Reducer setting on the EQ.  Worth mentioning is the fact the M200s are not very comfortable due to their large size.  I have to the use the smallest pair of tips to get a proper seal.  Despite the fit issue, so far I really like the M200s.  The sound signature is very clear and distinct throughout the frequency spectrum for the music genres I primarily listen to, especially indie rock.

IEM's I had that I returned or sold because they were too bass heavy were the Bowers & Wilkens C5, Sennheiser I80, and the Audeo PFE 232.  My main issue with the PFE 232 was the midrange sounding too recessed.  

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #412 of 1,358
Yes, they are. If I wasn't satisfied with the Ety ER4S and HF-3s, I know I'd be going for the M200. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #413 of 1,358
  Are the M200 bass heavy?

Yes. I've been saying so since I picked up my first pair. (Of two - I did the exchange because. I never got to hear them side-by-side but the FR is definitely tilted to the bass.

I'm not the only one who thinks so: http://www.whathifi.com/review/m200

With time, the bass tends to be a little less present. But it cannot be said that these IEMs are bass shy... If you want the bass to be better controlled, you need an amp.

No, an amp won't change things, unless it has an EQ in front of it. Sorry.

I know the head-fi mantra is "buy more stuff. More more more more more more MORE!" but let's have some basic understanding of the physics of sound reproduction, please!

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #414 of 1,358
M200 is much more refined than the w4 and ie-8. Ie-8 has more bass quantity but m200's bass far superior quality. M200 beats both of them.

can you compare the m200 with the asg-1.3s? currently looking to buy one of them. thanks!

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #415 of 1,358

I know the head-fi mantra is "buy more stuff. More more more more more more MORE!" but let's have some basic understanding of the physics of sound reproduction, please!

I think that we have different opinions.
For me, the M200 are more bassy than the Etys ER4S but less than the JVC HA-FX700.
With the M200, I will probably buy less stuff in the future as I am very happy with them.

Sep 16, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #416 of 1,358
With time, the bass tends to be a little less present. But it cannot be said that these IEMs are bass shy... If you want the bass to be better controlled, you need an amp.

Yes. I've been saying so since I picked up my first pair. (Of two - I did the exchange because. I never got to hear them side-by-side but the FR is definitely tilted to the bass.

I'm not the only one who thinks so: http://www.whathifi.com/review/m200

I think that we have different opinions.
For me, the M200 are more bassy than the Etys ER4S but less than the JVC HA-FX700.
With the M200, I will probably buy less stuff in the future as I am very happy with them.

I agree with denis
Bass becomes little less present after burn-in. 
And adding an amp/DAC is night and day difference if you dont have a good source. My new laptop can't even power the M200 properly even at max volume due to the ridiculous EU hearing safety restriction on the M200 and adding a proper amp/DAC simply brings out its true potential

Sep 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #417 of 1,358
  As I write this I am listening to the M200s directly out of my iPhone 5 (Death Cab For Cutie "I Will Possess Your Heart" is playing).  The M200s are not bass heavy to my ears but close to it.  I've only owned them for a week.  They probably have only two hours on them.  Besides the M200s, I have the Heir Audio 4ai, Westone 4R and the Westone UM3X.  The M200s have the most bass out of the bunch.  Still I wouldn't say the M200s are bass heavy.  The bass doesn't take away from the mids and highs.  There hasn't been a song I heard yet that has made me want to use the Bass Reducer setting on the EQ.  Worth mentioning is the fact the M200s are not very comfortable due to their large size.  I have to the use the smallest pair of tips to get a proper seal.  Despite the fit issue, so far I really like the M200s.  The sound signature is very clear and distinct throughout the frequency spectrum for the music genres I primarily listen to, especially indie rock.

IEM's I had that I returned or sold because they were too bass heavy were the Bowers & Wilkens C5, Sennheiser I80, and the Audeo PFE 232.  My main issue with the PFE 232 was the midrange sounding too recessed.  

And what was your main issue with the IE80?

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #419 of 1,358
  Negative finding on cardas model 1: 
Sadly the driver flexes. This occurs when I try to insert the IEM deeper in my ear while the music is playing. I have learned that if I was to hold the hole at the back of the ear pieces the flexing would not occur but it is a little concerning as  I had two dynamic IEM that died a while after I heard their driver flex. 

Sadly as I predicted the left driver that was flexing stopped working. 

Driver flex does kill dynamic drivers as noted by findings on Cardas EM5813

My M200 replacement is here and few hours of using them later there's a noticeable difference between this and my original pair:
- The clicky driver flex is much less present on this than my original pair using stock tips even when I moved my jaw a lot
- It actually sounds decent now at max volume out of my laptop without amp/DAC. It still scales well with an amp/DAC. Previously my original pair sounded like crap on its own. My other IEMs sounded fine straight out of my laptop on their own.

Hopefully my original pair was faulty to begin with, not killed by driver flex

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #420 of 1,358
Driver flex does kill dynamic drivers as noted by findings on Cardas EM5813

My M200 replacement is here and few hours of using them later there's a noticeable difference between this and my original pair:
- The clicky driver flex is much less present on this than my original pair using stock tips even when I moved my jaw a lot
- It actually sounds decent now at max volume out of my laptop without amp/DAC. It still scales well with an amp/DAC. Previously my original pair sounded like crap on its own. My other IEMs sounded fine straight out of my laptop on their own.

Hopefully my original pair was faulty to begin with, not killed by driver flex

Welcome back to the club!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back