KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #436 of 1,358
I own the m200. Listening to audio books I notice crackling in the highs. I'm not sure if it was there when I first got them. Also it might be the audio recording itself. Would it be possible to damage these due to being over driven by an fiio-e17? If so I will get them replaced. 

In other news, I own a pair of Senn Momentums. I absolutely love them. So I am unbelievably excited to try the M500. They look beautiful.

A buddy of mine went to Cedia and they had them on sale for pretty low. I should have asked him to pick up two pair but whatever. If I end up not liking them as much as my momentums keep a lookout, they will be up for grabs.  

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #437 of 1,358
  I own the m200. Listening to audio books I notice crackling in the highs. I'm not sure if it was there when I first got them. Also it might be the audio recording itself. Would it be possible to damage these due to being over driven by an fiio-e17? If so I will get them replaced. 

In other news, I own a pair of Senn Momentums. I absolutely love them. So I am unbelievably excited to try the M500. They look beautiful.

A buddy of mine went to Cedia and they had them on sale for pretty low. I should have asked him to pick up two pair but whatever. If I end up not liking them as much as my momentums keep a lookout, they will be up for grabs.  

It should be an interesting battle if this thread is any indication!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-beats-executive-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-kef-m500-and-skullcandy-aviators

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #438 of 1,358
How are people finding cable noise with the M200's and has it been determined what, if any, Comply tips fit on them?

Edit: Something that just occurred to me, based on the over the ear design it seems like they wouldn't work all that well with glasses, would that be correct?

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #439 of 1,358
I don’t hear much cable noise with the M200. If i rub the cable directly with my fingers, I hear a little, of course. But it’s not very loud and is pretty much inaudible if music is playing.

As for glasses and the ear hooks, the combination has not been an issue with me. I think the main reason is that the M200 ear hooks can be hooked loosely over the ear. they don’t necessarily need to be tight around the skin. so they lay over the hooks of glasses, which are much closer to the top of the ear. If someone were to bend the M200 hooks to be very tight, then it might interfere.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #441 of 1,358
So,
What are all you m500 users using to play your headphones? I got a kef m500 a while back and its great but I'm curious as to how much sources will affect the sound... I have an e11 but I'm tempted to get something like a jds labs c5, e12, or maybe even a fiio x3 or something like that if its worth it in terms of sound quality.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #442 of 1,358
  So,
What are all you m500 users using to play your headphones? I got a kef m500 a while back and its great but I'm curious as to how much sources will affect the sound... I have an e11 but I'm tempted to get something like a jds labs c5, e12, or maybe even a fiio x3 or something like that if its worth it in terms of sound quality.

I'm very happy with the M500's off of my Colorfly C3 + C&C BH combo. From what I have read so far, they sound great off of the DX50 and X3, but more reviews would be helpful.

Sep 30, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #443 of 1,358
  So,

Source and amp definitely affect the sound for the better as you upgrade amp and source. I've had good luck with iMod and Leckerton Audio UHA-6S mkii  

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #444 of 1,358
  So,

I just plug'em into my iPhone or iPad.

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #446 of 1,358
I prefer not to use a headphone amp for the M500 when listening to an iPhone 5 or MacBook Pro.  The FIFO E17 seem to slightly degrade the sound quality of the M500 instead of improve it.  The soundstage sounded wider and the instrument separation was more pronounced when I plugged the M500 directly into the iPhone 5 or the MacBook Pro.  Maybe using the Aux Input on the E17 was the reason why.  I wasn't able to use the USB with the iPhone 5 because of the lightning connection being incompatible.  

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #447 of 1,358
Hmm... For me i use an htc one to run these, but there's a fairly noticeable improvement when paired with the e11, which is why I asked. Though with my aune t1 the sound is a but crappy mainly because the output impedance is too high I think, only other headphone amp i have right now is the e11 since i sold the magni a while back. But really not sure whether to go for an amp or dap in this case, but hey plenty of time to decide haha need to save up after buying this thing.

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #448 of 1,358
Hmm... For me i use an htc one to run these, but there's a fairly noticeable improvement when paired with the e11, which is why I asked. Though with my aune t1 the sound is a but crappy mainly because the output impedance is too high I think, only other headphone amp i have right now is the e11 since i sold the magni a while back. But really not sure whether to go for an amp or dap in this case, but hey plenty of time to decide haha need to save up after buying this thing.

The HTC One isn't the best sounding phone out there I'm afraid. It sounds good, but when I switch to an iPhone 5 the difference is there. However, switching from the iPhone 5 to my computer with the Meridian Explorer, I can't say for sure I hear a difference with the KEF M500. 

This is why I'll switch to the iPhone 5 very soon, that and IOS 7 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #449 of 1,358

Using X3 line Out to Neco Soundlabs V4 dual mono portable amp the Sound Quality is outstanding! Almost as good as my desktop rig.

Totally defeats the purpose of portable headphones IMO. They sound great just out of my iDevice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back