KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #376 of 1,358
  p.s. Both dealers of the KEF m500 in London categorically told me that they preferred the senn momentum. They were suprised at how highly I spoke of it. Oh, and by the way, for those who don't know a thing or two about KEF, they're a speaker manufacturer originating and based in (Greater) London, Britain. 

We can take this to PM but no such statement has been uttered in my ear shot. Either I know a place you do not know about or things have changed
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #380 of 1,358
Can someone please compare nozzles size of M200 to nozzles of EPH-100 or Brainwavz R1? Just want to know how big they are.

I'm waiting on my replacement M200 so not with me atm can't compare side-by-side
But the EPH-100 tips fit perfectly on the M200 so nozzle diameter should be around the same size
Can't recommend the EPH-100 tips for these though, deeper insertion but maybe I'm too used to shallow fit now and they don't solve the driver flex issues so combined with a bit of suction it can get annoying for me. YMMV

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #381 of 1,358

The KEF really isn't far behind the LCD-2 to be honest. The most significant differences are in the treble and the soundstaging. 

Awesome image! And the sentiment bodes pretty well for the M500's methinks :)

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #382 of 1,358

Awesome image! And the sentiment bodes pretty well for the M500's methinks :)

Thanks! It bodes very well.. too well 
blink.gif

eek.gif

Could you please tell me what are the differences in the treble? LCD-2 was in my wish list.

I won't rush here yet because the KEF is not properly burned in. But as it is now, the LCD-2 does have a more "liquid" treble. A bit smoother and more effortless, whereas the KEF is a touch brighter and edgier. 

The LCD-2 is slightly more refined at the frequency extremes and images a soundstage that's more in front with a larger and more spacious sense of depth. In terms of overall character, both are rich, natural and laid-back and their mids are darn near identical (!)

The LCD-2 is an *excellent* headphone, and that the KEF comes so close is actually pretty amazing considering it's price and size. If just that slight treble edginess in the KEF goes away... 
atsmile.gif

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #384 of 1,358
  Maybe it goes away with burn-in. :) But aren't LCD-2 known for lots of bass too? I thought M500 was a bit anemic in comparison. Isn't that true?

The LCD-2 has neutral bass. Not elevated but certainly not lacking either. It's impactful and extends very low but it's *very* tight, pretty much zero boominess. And very well textured. The M500 has similar levels of bass, perhaps a touch more. It's not quite as tight and textured but still excellent, and better than most closed headphones out there. Depth is also excellent. In the end, both have satisfying, natural bass that never bleeds into the mids. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #385 of 1,358

We can take this to PM but no such statement has been uttered in my ear shot. Either I know a place you do not know about or things have changed
wink.gif

PM sent. 

I have no reason what so ever to lie. I like KEF a lot and have genuinely tried to make space in my room for the stunning LS50. Stunning speakers. Given the amount of headphones I've come across I bear no grudge against any, unlike many on this forum. Actually, I've avoided writing a review on the Tiesto K167 because of the negative reception it will very likely get, where after solid burn in, and played back from a suitable dac/amp system (like the bushmaster/Mdac with burson soloist) it sounds very nearly as good as a burnt in signature pro. By the way, for the k167 burn in is mandatory. 

Overall, I'd say probably 80%+ of the people with an opinion on this headphone haven't heard it. Probably 95% haven't heard a burnt in one through a powerful amp and as a result the opinion is a negative one.   

I find it pretty sad how these threads work. You guys are saying that it's the best portable headphone ever, and anyone saying anything below that gets flamed. I fully believe there's a dozen or so users who think the same as I do, or think less of the KEF, but can't be bothered to share their views because of all the compulsory arguing that will follow. I've done the same with other headphones, remaining tight lipped about a few 'headfi' favourite headphones that I own now where I think they sound rubbish, which won't go down well on these forums. Better to say nothing.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #387 of 1,358

I'm waiting on my replacement M200 so not with me atm can't compare side-by-side
But the EPH-100 tips fit perfectly on the M200 so nozzle diameter should be around the same size
Can't recommend the EPH-100 tips for these though, deeper insertion but maybe I'm too used to shallow fit now and they don't solve the driver flex issues so combined with a bit of suction it can get annoying for me. YMMV

The M200 nozzles diameter are about 6mm, which is consequent...

Thanks a lot everyone, I just want to make sure that I'll have no problem with the nozzles of M200 coz both EPH-100 and R1 can fit my ear canal perfectly.

For the tips, I found that Meelec double flange and generic memory foam tips from Lostearbuds can fit my EPH-100 nicely so I think they might fit M200 as well

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #388 of 1,358
Thanks a lot everyone, I just want to make sure that I'll have no problem with the nozzles of M200 coz both EPH-100 and R1 can fit my ear canal perfectly.

For the tips, I found that Meelec double flange and generic memory foam tips from Lostearbuds can fit my EPH-100 nicely so I think they might fit M200 as well

I too use the Meelec double flange. Works well but still have fit issues. If the sound was not that excellent, I would have sold my M200 since the first days I got them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back