Keeping ears clean
Oct 20, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #31 of 85

Quote:
I get the dry, flaky kind of wax, so I occasionally use a Japanese mimikaki tool to gently remove anything rattling around. But the daily use of Qtips after a shower keeps this to a minimum.

You won't hurt yourself if you're careful. It's not any more delicate than knowing not to poke yourself in the eye if you're putting in a contact or sawing into your gums with floss.

Mimikaki! Yeah, feels so good makes your eyeballs roll back in your sockets. 
L3000.gif

Yeah sure, be very gentle and careful, but I don't go more than a few days between cleaning sessions.

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #32 of 85
Got my mom for you guys. She has: doctorate in audiology, and board certified. You can't get any more qualified than that. Qtips are bad. mmmkay? Don't poke stuff into your ears. Hydrogen peroxide is good, make sure it is fresh (as in not several years old). It will bubble and such, don't worry. After 10 minutes or so you get up, take a tissue, and dry up what drains out of your ear. (note the lack of qtips for that). Most people shouldn't ever have a problem with ear wax. An ACTUAL problem with too much ear wax is when it actually is blocking your ear canal, so that you can't hear very well out of it.

I personally have a birth defect where one ear is slightly smaller than the other (not really noticeable unless you look for it), but it really effects the size of my ear canal and ear wax buildup. I deal with my one ear getting actually CLOGGED frequently, so I use ear removal drops once a week - for just the one ear - to keep it from getting too much buildup. You also have to be careful about using stuff too frequently, can irritate the skin in your ear as well as lead to ear infections/fungus.

On another note, if anyone has further questions about stuff, send me a PM. I'll forward it to my mom and send you the answer.

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #33 of 85
joemort, what about those of us with the dry, flaky rice krispies in our ears? Is it OK to use something to gently pull them out?

They do work out after awhile, but will make crunchy crackling sounds for several days first. I don't see how this is much different from flossing, putting in a contact lens or cleaning up after using the toilet. Delicate areas, for sure, but I put fingers into my eyes for a couple of years and still get a clean bill of health from the opthamologist. I'm not sure why a flake of wax is much different.

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #34 of 85
I go down to the local ear clinic every 6-8 months and have mine microsuctioned out. I'm quite waxy it seems
redface.gif
. I unsuccessfully tried peroxide, ear drops and some cleaner that had French sea water! 

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #36 of 85

EYEdROP said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lie down on your side with your ear facing the ceiling and pour a capfull of hydrogen peroxide directly in the ear canal. Let it bubble for a while, then use a paper towel and water to rinse. Do the same for the other ear. Shower afterwards of course.

Q tips work, but you must be careful with them.

Now I got it, Thanks for your effort! It's good for reference.

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #37 of 85
Sorry to bump an old thread but I just came back from a visit to the Audiologist to get impressions done on my ears.

Since I was there I figured I'd ask her about peroxide in the ear to clean them, she said you should never put peroxide in your ears.  It eats through the tissue in your ear drum and can cause serious damage over time.

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #38 of 85

Quote:

I guess I shouldn't use sharp utensils when eating since the chair could break causing me to fall and cut myself.  Or I could slip and fall while washing them.  I probably need to give up my DIY since that soldering iron is just too dangerous.  I need to quit my job too.  I have to drive there!  Have you seen those statistics?  I guess I should just stay home in my safe room and never do anything.  After all, its dangerous outside.

People to potentially dangerous things every day.  Everything carries some risk or another.  Nothing is perfectly safe.  If you use IEMs and aren't blessed with an exceptional lack of earwax, then daily ear cleaning is a requirement.  There isn't other convenient way to do it besides sticking something in your ear.  Grow a pair and deal with it.

There's a difference between "potentially dangerous" (e.g. eating peanuts while talking) and "stupid and against medical advice" (e.g. swallowing shiny new pennies.) Can you post ANY links to doctors who say that using a q-tip to clean inside your ear isn't a bid idea? Because all the opinions from competent sources that I can find say that you're being an ass. (And btw - that "pair" you're talking about? When you get old enough to realize to talk like a grown-up, you'll have hair there!)

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #39 of 85
The point you're missing is that I don't care what some doctor advises.

I happen to have a lot of earwax and I need to clean my ears on a daily basis in order to keep my IEMs clean and comfortable and Q tips are the most convenient way of doing that.  Its a choice made with knowledge of the small risk it carries.

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #40 of 85
I lie back in a bath and leave my ears under water for a little while. Shake my head left to right (Like saying 'No') and that's it. If you put iem's in after that, you get a great seal too. 
blink.gif

Ian

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #41 of 85
Anyone who has a doctor who knows them well knows that any "my doctor advises me to ..." advice you find on the web has to be taken with a big grain of salt. Human bodies, while having globally the same mechanics, have their perks; without knowing your body's perks, a doctor can't advise you reliably.
These advices are good for 90% of people, if you belong to the remaining 10 % :frowning2:

Regarding Q-tips,the one time I went to an ENT doctor, he told be I'd be fine as long as I knew how to use them.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #43 of 85
This is the best way IMO. I need to do this, tho i dont get alot of wax buildup, just refresh them ears of mine.

<iframe width="1280" height="750" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WH_9yJ3YYss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #44 of 85
My solution works best ...for me. 

With a dilute solution of hydrogen peroxide (5% or so), swish your ears until you start hearing bubbles; that's the wax being dissolved. Now, do the other ear. This will make your ears squeaky clean.

Do it again, just for the fun of hearing the bubbles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back