Keep UM2 or Exchange Em
Oct 23, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #16 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate
Seconded, and if you still don't like them, you can use the UM56s on lots of other IEMs. The seal/attenuation I got today during my UM56 molding was amazing! $100 out the door.

How much did it cost u to get impressions of ur ears ?

Oct 23, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #17 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr3sH
How much did it cost u to get impressions of ur ears ?

$100 total. That includes getting the impressions made, shipping both ways, the actual tips and the second "fitting" visit. BTW, you don't want to go back to UM1s. Trust me, I have both.

Oct 23, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #18 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate
$100 total. That includes getting the impressions made, shipping both ways, the actual tips and the second "fitting" visit. BTW, you don't want to go back to UM1s. Trust me, I have both.

That's cheap for $100. Where did u get it from ? Earphonesolutions sell the UM56 only for $109

Oct 23, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #19 of 87
I think 2 days is a little early to tell, try the shure soft flex tips, they are the best with the UM2 imo.

I've had UM2's for a couple of weeks now and they just seem to sound better every time I use them, dunno about burn in or if they are burning my ears in or what but they have really grown on me.

Oct 23, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #21 of 87
Quote:

That's cheap for $100. Where did u get it from ? Earphonesolutions sell the UM56 only for $109

I got them through a "real" Doctor of Audiology at the local hospital. You can open up a "hearing aid center" after a two week training course and a test. This guy is the real deal. He wasn't even listed on the Westone website. Just find the local otolaryngology dept of your local hospital, make sure they do business with Westone (I think they all do, they're huge in the custom molds for hearing aids business).

These guys can even do cochlear implants, so making a pair of molds is no big deal.

Oct 23, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #22 of 87
Could it be a question of expectations? I'm beginning to realize what IEMs can and cannot do, and unless serious isolation is absolutely necessary (air travel, for example), I find myself drifting away from my two low-level IEMs (Etymotics ER-6's and Shure E3C's, admittedly not in the league we're talking about in this thread).

Since I usually don't really need isolation (although it's great to have), I'm wondering if I should bother upgrading to UM2's (I know -- that's Head-Fi heresy). Maybe I've been conditioned to my more "fun-sounding," cost-effective 'phones such as the Koss PortaPro 2, Sennheiser PX 100 and the Creative EP-630, and when something "X" times as expensive doesn't immediately sound an equivalent "X" times better (however good it might be), it's inevitable that I'll be disappointed if I don't manage expectations.

Fr3sH -- maybe IEMs aren't for you. But then maybe you just need to keep trying and get used to the sound -- and the trade-offs that come with any IEM. I hope you find the solution - and the price point -- that works for you.

Oct 23, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #23 of 87
Any more comments
lambda.gif
?

Oct 23, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #24 of 87
I think what you are going through is an adjustment to IEMs. I LOVE the sound of my SR80s, but you can't get the same sound from an IEM. However, I use my UM2s a lot more than my SR80s. They are more comfortable, smaller, easy on and off, and they don't make my ear itch. The sound is very good for an IEM, but it will never be the same as a full size headphone. I have E3Cs that I only use to mow the lawn because the only way they generate enough bass is to turn them up. Besides, the UM2 is one of the best IEMs for sleeping in!

Oct 23, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #25 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbrad
I think what you are going through is an adjustment to IEMs. I LOVE the sound of my SR80s, but you can't get the same sound from an IEM. However, I use my UM2s a lot more than my SR80s. They are more comfortable, smaller, easy on and off, and they don't make my ear itch. The sound is very good for an IEM, but it will never be the same as a full size headphone. I have E3Cs that I only use to mow the lawn because the only way they generate enough bass is to turn them up. Besides, the UM2 is one of the best IEMs for sleeping in!

Hmm...I tried em these 3 days and still can't click with the sound. My GF tried em and she said, "Awesome." She eventually like em and said that the price I paid was well worth it.

BTW...may I know what tips do u use ?

Oct 23, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #27 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by codine
I think 2 days is a little early to tell, try the shure soft flex tips, they are the best with the UM2 imo.

I've had UM2's for a couple of weeks now and they just seem to sound better every time I use them, dunno about burn in or if they are burning my ears in or what but they have really grown on me.

You are probably right. I only tried bi-flange and complies. I would love to try shure soft flex but I don't have any shure IEM and I can't buy just one pair to try.

BTW...probably the problem is because I love the E500's design so much. So I keep thinking that I won't be satisfied until I get em.

Oct 24, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #29 of 87
Quote:

I usually turn my eq to have a lot of bass and highs(Little bit more bass).

Sounds like the iM716. UM2 is too dark for you.

Oct 24, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #30 of 87
Quote:

Hi guys,

I just got my UM2 2 days ago and I have tried them all evening these 2 days(with complies and bi-flange). I dunno why but I still feel that there is something missing in the music. I like R&B, a bit pop, christian songs, and a bit trance. I usually turn my eq to have a lot of bass and highs(Little bit more bass). So, I want to hear from you guys about what I should do. Should I keep the UM2 or sell it and get E500 or get super fi 5 pro. Thanks

P.S: I think UM2 do not blow my EP 630. Yes, Um2 are a lot more details but the price gap is just too high.

Actually for Dance, R&B, I also agree that Super.Fi 5 Pro may sound better. Since it doesn't emphazise on the midrange, it has strong bass as well as sparkling extended high. Usually this character suits very well dance and R&B music. I also find that Super.Fi 5 Pro has a wow factor, great soundstage, and music very fast, texture is very good. But for vocal the midrange is a bit shy. I could also get fatigue but not as bad as E500. Isolation in Super.Fi 5 Pro is disaster in my opinion. Customs, Ety, UM2 have amazing isolation. Even E500 doesn't have as good isolation.

I find UM2(UM56) is not as detailed but the midrange is very addicting and very sweet!! I can't stop listening to vocal from them. The midrange itself worth keeping. It's very involving unbelievable! So when I'm listening to Opera like IL Divo or Vittorio Grigolo, ah sooo beautiful!! The bass of UM2 is there but it's a bit loose especially with comply tips. So it depends on the type of music you are listening as well. I can go on for full day of comfort listening no fatigue.

E500 is treble is still a bit rolled off compared to Super.Fi 5 Pro, the bass quality is the best out of the three. very tight, very deep and low, and strong!! It's amazing. but midrange a bit sharp and harsh to me. The high, also either not sharp or splashy, I got fatigue after couple hours of listening to E500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back