Keep UM2 or Exchange Em
Oct 23, 2006 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

Fr3sH

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I just got my UM2 2 days ago and I have tried them all evening these 2 days(with complies and bi-flange). I dunno why but I still feel that there is something missing in the music. I like R&B, a bit pop, christian songs, and a bit trance. I usually turn my eq to have a lot of bass and highs(Little bit more bass). So, I want to hear from you guys about what I should do. Should I keep the UM2 or sell it and get E500 or get super fi 5 pro. Thanks

P.S: I think UM2 do not blow my EP 630. Yes, Um2 are a lot more details but the price gap is just too high.

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 87
What do you feel tehy are missing?

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr3sH
It's hard to describe it. I just can't say "wow" when I'm listening to my music with UM2.

If the UM2 don't wow you, the super.fi probably won't either. Their sound is more exciting, but far less natural. They're fun, but could never "wow" me like the UM2 do.

Then again, I guess it depends on what exactly "wows" you. For me, falling asleep to live music and feeling like I'm actually at the concert is a "wow" moment. Maybe you're looking for something else?

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose

Then again, I guess it depends on what exactly "wows" you. For me, falling asleep to live music and feeling like I'm actually at the concert is a "wow" moment. Maybe you're looking for something else?

That is exactly what I'm looking for. I heard that UM2 were very musical and I thought that they would make me feel like I'm actually at the concert. I found out that I did not get that feel. Is it because the sleeves ? I only tried complies and bi-flange. The complies are so comfortable and give a lot of isolation. BTW, what IEM make u feel that way ?

Oct 23, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 87
Have you tried the "Treble Boost" EQ setting on your iPod? I never listen to my UM2's without it.

Oct 23, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113
Have you tried the "Treble Boost" EQ setting on your iPod? I never listen to my UM2's without it.

Just tried it
eggosmile.gif
. I still prefer the R&B and Dance. The dance one makes me feel like the singer is right close to me hehe. BTW...what sleeves do u use ?

Oct 23, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr3sH
That is exactly what I'm looking for. I heard that UM2 were very musical and I thought that they would make me feel like I'm actually at the concert. I found out that I did not get that feel. Is it because the sleeves ? I only tried complies and bi-flange. The complies are so comfortable and give a lot of isolation. BTW, what IEM make u feel that way ?

It could be because of the sleeves. I hate the Complies, but I think the UM2 and Shure soft flex sleeves are a killer combination. The bi-flange and soft flex should sound pretty similar though, since they're the same material (right? maybe someone more knowledgeable could chime in about this...). Maybe you just need to give them some more time? The UM2 are a little dark sounding, so it took me some time to really "get" them the first time. I don't know if you've done that, or if you've been furiously changing settings trying to get them to click for you. If it's the latter, you might want to just try giving them an hour with a good live recording using the biflanges and no EQ.

Of course, it could also just be that the UM2 isn't your thing. Given what you've told us, I think the super.fi would be a step in the wrong direction, so you might want to look into trading for an E500.

Oct 23, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #9 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
It could be because of the sleeves. I hate the Complies, but I think the UM2 and Shure soft flex sleeves are a killer combination. The bi-flange and soft flex should sound pretty similar though, since they're the same material (right? maybe someone more knowledgeable could chime in about this...). Maybe you just need to give them some more time? The UM2 are a little dark sounding, so it took me some time to really "get" them the first time. I don't know if you've done that, or if you've been furiously changing settings trying to get them to click for you. If it's the latter, you might want to just try giving them an hour with a good live recording using the biflanges and no EQ.

Of course, it could also just be that the UM2 isn't your thing. Given what you've told us, I think the super.fi would be a step in the wrong direction, so you might want to look into trading for an E500.

-Jeremy

Are E500 a lot better than UM2? can some1 tell me how do they sound ? I heard some1 said that the difference was only about 5% better. I don't wanna waste another $150 for that. BTW, E500 were my first choice before I bought UM2. The reason was I really like the design
rs1smile.gif
(as simple as that). They are so elegant. Yet, I ended up buying UM2 because my GF thinks that $400 for IEM is crazy.

Oct 23, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 87
Trade the UM2s in for UM1s (not a huge performance difference given the huge price difference, in my experience), and use the saved $$ to buy new ♫♫, which is what it's all about in the first place.

Oct 23, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #11 of 87
Or try a big rig (full-sized headphones) - as much as I like my IEM's, they'll never have quite the same imaging as my home steup.

Oct 23, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #12 of 87
Keep the UM2s - let them burn in (yes the do burn in) and try my tip mod in my sig!(you can use tips from the 630s)

I find with UM2's dont stick them in your ears too far - even with bi-flanges... they just need to sit in your ear just enough to make a seal.

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #14 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by niknik
UM56..

Seconded, and if you still don't like them, you can use the UM56s on lots of other IEMs. The seal/attenuation I got today during my UM56 molding was amazing! $100 out the door.

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #15 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫
Trade the UM2s in for UM1s (not a huge performance difference given the huge price difference, in my experience), and use the saved $$ to buy new ♫♫, which is what it's all about in the first place.

Really ? Dang...Should have tried UM1 first. Earphonesolutions only allow me to exchange with equal or greater value IEM to avoid restocking fee. I guess my choices are triple.fi and e500 or 2 IEMs
confused.gif
?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back