KB EAR Audio impressions thread
Jul 23, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #1,876 of 2,441
Which point of it is most impressive?

#kbear #robin #new #hybrids #Earphone #headphones #audio

16_极速看图.jpg
To me equally the same.

Jul 24, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #1,877 of 2,441
Yep, the KBEAR Robin graph is really very nice (I hope it is accurate)!

It will probably be easy to drive based on the specs of 18 ohm resistance and 110 db sensitivity (not sure what units).

Also is this the start of a KBEAR naming convention to follow birds? Lark and now the Robin?
Naming something Robin is definitely more memorable. Rather than some alphabet soup or jumbled number (looking at you Urbanfun YBF-ISS014, and all the CVJ/TRN/CCA/KZ numbers, which are confusing and hard to differentiate).

There is a descriptive term "robin egg blue" used to describe a blueish hue in paint, and perhaps it does live up to its namesake:
Robin1.PNG

My only other "bird" IEM is the BLON Cardinal, which is the predecessor of the BLON BL-03, I'm still using the Cardinal now and then in fact. It was aptly named after the red bird Cardinal.
WhatsApp_Image_2019-11-12_at_18.53.22 (1).jpeg
Wow good learning! Robin egg blue!
The hex code is easy to remember too #00CCCC

Jul 24, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,879 of 2,441
Just for notice from AE, KBEAR Robin is shipped! The FR looks very nicely tuned, now it’s time to try!
Just hope AE Standard Shipping is motivated on this delivery🥺

Jul 24, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #1,880 of 2,441
Just for notice from AE, KBEAR Robin is shipped! The FR looks very nicely tuned, now it’s time to try!
Just hope AE Standard Shipping is motivated on this delivery🥺
Mine are still in the "to be shipped" pile. Looking forward to hearing them.

Jul 25, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #1,881 of 2,441
Which point of it is most impressive?

#kbear #robin #new #hybrids #Earphone #headphones #audio

16_极速看图.jpg
#audio

My hopeful desire, when I hear them.

On another note, the blue looks so cool!
Screenshot_20210725-095413_Gallery.jpg

Jul 25, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #1,883 of 2,441
Will wait on some impressions.. the Robin looks like my next buy..
Yea considering how good KBEAR is about tuning their hybrids. I pulled out several hybrids when conducting benchmarking with CCZ Plume which I’m testing, I was so impressed by KBEAR Lark again both 4K model and current production, is very nicely tuned compared to hybrids of other brands (like KZ, CCA).
Robin succeeding Lark’s gene, looks very convincing 4+1. I’m expecting 7-80% of the performance of Blessing2 or CCZ Plume by 15-30% of the price.

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #1,884 of 2,441
"The gale knows the strong grass, while the chaotic song knows the wild sound"
Guess this is a bit lost in translation

For sure! You'd think that Kbear, with all their English speaking comrades (like those who have tuned for them etc) would take the trouble to pull off a better job on purple-prose slogans than that! I'm damn curious to know what the original Chinese words were that they fed into the translate-blender! Perhaps sonething to do with a robin?

Aug 1, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #1,885 of 2,441
Just received a review unit of the KBEAR Robin.

5d843dc0-716a-4174-9fd6-9bf2e97bfdd8.jpg

In terms of build, the KBEAR Robin appears externally similar in shape to the KBEAR Lark, but the Robin is heavier and sturdier. Comfort is good, have used the Robin for a few hours with no discomfort. I got the blue coloured version and it has a quite unique hue and stands out from the usual silvery/blackish shelled CHIFI IEMs. As usual, KBEAR uses a 2 pin connector on the shell, I'm happy with this, as I had my fair share of mishaps with MMCX connectors in budget models.

Accessories wise, it is very good at this price bracket, and is similar to the KBEAR Lark and Neon, where a grey semirigid case, cable and 2 variants of tips are provided. In this instance, there are more silicone tips provided than the predecessor KBEARs. One set of eartips is wide bore, one is narrower bore. YMMV, as we have different ear anatomies, but the narrow bore ones boost the bass, whereas the wider bore ones boost the higher frequencies.

The cable provided is really quite well braided and is a 4 N oxygen free copper cable, it looks thicker and sturdier than the usual noodle thin budget CHIFI cables. It has minimal microphonics and is very usable. The accessories are all very usable OOTB, no need to spend more on aftermarket accessories, which adds to costs.

Isolation is above average, and is quite good considering it is a vented set.

Now on to the tonality, the KBEAR Robin is a bassy and warm mild V shaped set. It kinda reminds me of the CCZ Plume and BGVP DMG in terms of tuning, if you have heard them before.
Bass on the KBEAR Robin is midbass focused. The subbass extends moderately for a DD bass with some rumble, but the midbass is still the predominant frequency. The midbass quantity is quite north of neutral, but it isn't a real basshead set per se. The midbass speed is on the slightly slower side, texturing is below average, and the midbass does bleed a bit. The good thing is that the midbass can be tamed a bit by using the wider bore eartips.

The midbass bleed adds a lot to warming the lower mids, and gives it a lot of heft and weight to this area. The upper mids/lower treble are quite well done in my book. Disclaimer, I'm sensitive to this area, and on the Robin, the upper mids are well within my tolerances, nothing shouty, perhaps unless you jack the volume up a lot (Fletcher Munson curve). It manages to balance a fine line with having a forward upper mids without veering into banshee territory, not the easiest line to balance if you have tried other budget CHIFI gear. The upper treble on the Robin isn't the most extended, it is quite treble safe for treble sensitive folk and there is some lack of air and muted microdetails. But consequently, this set isn't fatiguing and is well suited for longer listening sessions.

Techicalities are at least above average to good (at this price) for imaging, instrument separation, and soundstage. Will need to do some A/B testing against other similarly priced hybrids to confirm. There's some slight BA timbre in the higher frequencies for acoustic instruments, but it isn't as bad as some TRN/KZ BA types I've tried.

Will do more A/B testing in the coming week and report back!

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #1,886 of 2,441
For sure! You'd think that Kbear, with all their English speaking comrades (like those who have tuned for them etc) would take the trouble to pull off a better job on purple-prose slogans than that! I'm damn curious to know what the original Chinese words were that they fed into the translate-blender! Perhaps sonething to do with a robin?
Yea and for Japanese @WendyLi you can pm me, my native language is Japanese.

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,887 of 2,441
Just received a review unit of the KBEAR Robin.

5d843dc0-716a-4174-9fd6-9bf2e97bfdd8.jpg

In terms of build, the KBEAR Robin appears externally similar in shape to the KBEAR Lark, but the Robin is heavier and sturdier. Comfort is good, have used the Robin for a few hours with no discomfort. I got the blue coloured version and it has a quite unique hue and stands out from the usual silvery/blackish shelled CHIFI IEMs. As usual, KBEAR uses a 2 pin connector on the shell, I'm happy with this, as I had my fair share of mishaps with MMCX connectors in budget models.

Accessories wise, it is very good at this price bracket, and is similar to the KBEAR Lark and Neon, where a grey semirigid case, cable and 2 variants of tips are provided. In this instance, there are more silicone tips provided than the predecessor KBEARs. One set of eartips is wide bore, one is narrower bore. YMMV, as we have different ear anatomies, but the narrow bore ones boost the bass, whereas the wider bore ones boost the higher frequencies.

The cable provided is really quite well braided and is a 4 N oxygen free copper cable, it looks thicker and sturdier than the usual noodle thin budget CHIFI cables. It has minimal microphonics and is very usable. The accessories are all very usable OOTB, no need to spend more on aftermarket accessories, which adds to costs.

Isolation is above average, and is quite good considering it is a vented set.

Now on to the tonality, the KBEAR Robin is a bassy and warm mild V shaped set. It kinda reminds me of the CCZ Plume and BGVP DMG in terms of tuning, if you have heard them before.
Bass on the KBEAR Robin is midbass focused. The subbass extends moderately for a DD bass with some rumble, but the midbass is still the predominant frequency. The midbass quantity is quite north of neutral, but it isn't a real basshead set per se. The midbass speed is on the slightly slower side, texturing is below average, and the midbass does bleed a bit. The good thing is that the midbass can be tamed a bit by using the wider bore eartips.

The midbass bleed adds a lot to warming the lower mids, and gives it a lot of heft and weight to this area. The upper mids/lower treble are quite well done in my book. Disclaimer, I'm sensitive to this area, and on the Robin, the upper mids are well within my tolerances, nothing shouty, perhaps unless you jack the volume up a lot (Fletcher Munson curve). It manages to balance a fine line with having a forward upper mids without veering into banshee territory, not the easiest line to balance if you have tried other budget CHIFI gear. The upper treble on the Robin isn't the most extended, it is quite treble safe for treble sensitive folk and there is some lack of air and muted microdetails. But consequently, this set isn't fatiguing and is well suited for longer listening sessions.

Techicalities are at least above average to good (at this price) for imaging, instrument separation, and soundstage. Will need to do some A/B testing against other similarly priced hybrids to confirm. There's some slight BA timbre in the higher frequencies for acoustic instruments, but it isn't as bad as some TRN/KZ BA types I've tried.

Will do more A/B testing in the coming week and report back!
Thanks for the first impressions!

Based on what you said, the Robin sounds interesting, not bad at all. I, like you, have no problem with the mid-bass encroaching marginally into the mids, all that means is you get longer, which is realistic, bass decay, as you would if you heard the instruments live. It gives some weight to the mids, as you said.

Looking forward to listening to the Robin.

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #1,888 of 2,441
Thanks for the first impressions!

Based on what you said, the Robin sounds interesting, not bad at all. I, like you, have no problem with the mid-bass encroaching marginally into the mids, all that means is you get longer, which is realistic, bass decay, as you would if you heard the instruments live. It gives some weight to the mids, as you said.

Looking forward to listening to the Robin.
Mine processed thru US customs! (Same package with GS Audio ST10😁)

I like Plume over Blessing2’s midrange so Robin’s tuning sounds very welcoming

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #1,890 of 2,441
The first half sentence is an ancient poem from the Han Dynasty, about 1800 years ago. Cultural differences caused misunderstandings and lost the original poetry after being translated into English. Sorry for the mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back