KB EAR Audio impressions thread
Jul 20, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #1,861 of 2,441
Kbear Robin looks clean. Does it have any balanced armatures in the nozzle and what is the projected price?
Looks like there's one:
1626821029437.png

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #1,863 of 2,441
Looks like there's one:
1626821029437.png
And it seems like the one on the nozzle is a midrange BA as the two smaller ones are shown further back.

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #1,864 of 2,441
"The gale knows the strong grass, while the chaotic song knows the wild sound"
Guess this is a bit lost in translation

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #1,865 of 2,441
If this graph is accurate the Robin has the best tuning ***for my tastes*** of all the KBears
Ub41207a25daf4f1f817fad8d594dbe09P.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

Hopefully this is a good indication of how Aurora and TRI i3 pro will sound.

Jul 21, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #1,867 of 2,441
I hope you will like it! :ksc75smile:
Will do!

And here is ER4 vs Neon:
0F547F9E-A350-42A5-913A-5AC49DBC7552.jpeg

2023049B-1BD7-49D7-A3CE-1C79DA00C023.jpeg

-Noticed ER4S cables are not universal 2-pin, it does not fit to Neon... I used a 20ohm impedance adapter instead,

-ER4S: Clear upper-mid, transparent upper register, bass floor sounds clean but very thin, the sound stage is very narrow
-Neon(20ohm): Clear mid, warm tuning, laid-back upper register, wider sound stage, bass floor sounds clean but slightly lacks punch and richness

Resolution:
ER4S: B+
Neon: B-

Layering:
ER4S: C-
Neon: C-

Sound Stage:
ER4S: F
Neon: B

Image focusing:
ER4S: B+
Neon: C+

Musicality:
ER4S: D
Neon: C+

TL;DR

The specs of both IEM are equally same, the tuning priority for ER4 is upper mid focusing, and flat tuning for the rest of the spectrum, the narrower sound stage benefits image to stay near-ear and on focus all the time, but in exchange for a trade-off of congested image compressed at the same spot. ER4 works great for monitoring & language study if the recording is a small composition with its good and transparent monitoring capability.

Neon meanwhile tuned itself to a vocal-focused flat monitor, with a good amount of sound stage with a warm overall wrapping. It trades off some clarity of upper register to soft-sounding diffusions but is still pretty enjoyable for non-fatiguing and fully laid-back listening sessions.

Beware both are single driver BA, so lack of dynamism and instruments separation is an inevitable fate.

Considering the price, I'd pick Neon for $50 and add impedance adapters to modify the sound to the needs.

ER4S personality: Cool & Analytical (Pink character in the picture)
Neon personality: Warm & Emotional (Blue character in the picture)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #1,868 of 2,441
I hope you will like it! :ksc75smile:
Wendy, Just got following notice from KBEAR AE store:
“dear,because this order is out of stock,the shipping time will be a little long,pls wait some time”🥺

Jul 22, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #1,869 of 2,441
If this graph is accurate the Robin has the best tuning ***for my tastes*** of all the KBears
Ub41207a25daf4f1f817fad8d594dbe09P.jpg_640x640q90.jpg
Hopefully this is a good indication of how Aurora and TRI i3 pro will sound.

Yep, the KBEAR Robin graph is really very nice (I hope it is accurate)!

It will probably be easy to drive based on the specs of 18 ohm resistance and 110 db sensitivity (not sure what units).

Also is this the start of a KBEAR naming convention to follow birds? Lark and now the Robin?
Naming something Robin is definitely more memorable. Rather than some alphabet soup or jumbled number (looking at you Urbanfun YBF-ISS014, and all the CVJ/TRN/CCA/KZ numbers, which are confusing and hard to differentiate).

There is a descriptive term "robin egg blue" used to describe a blueish hue in paint, and perhaps it does live up to its namesake:
Robin1.PNG

My only other "bird" IEM is the BLON Cardinal, which is the predecessor of the BLON BL-03, I'm still using the Cardinal now and then in fact. It was aptly named after the red bird Cardinal.
WhatsApp_Image_2019-11-12_at_18.53.22 (1).jpeg

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #1,870 of 2,441
Yep, the KBEAR Robin graph is really very nice (I hope it is accurate)!

It will probably be easy to drive based on the specs of 18 ohm resistance and 110 db sensitivity (not sure what units).

Also is this the start of a KBEAR naming convention to follow birds? Lark and now the Robin?
Naming something Robin is definitely more memorable. Rather than some alphabet soup or jumbled number (looking at you Urbanfun YBF-ISS014, and all the CVJ/TRN/CCA/KZ numbers, which are confusing and hard to differentiate).

There is a descriptive term "robin egg blue" used to describe a blueish hue in paint, and perhaps it does live up to its namesake:
Robin1.PNG

My only other "bird" IEM is the BLON Cardinal, which is the predecessor of the BLON BL-03, I'm still using the Cardinal now and then in fact. It was aptly named after the red bird Cardinal.
WhatsApp_Image_2019-11-12_at_18.53.22 (1).jpeg

More pictures are not helping my willpower one bit :frowning2:

And no chance of sneaking an electric blue iem past my better half (my OCD got triggered, I went looking for colour charts after you mentioned robin egg blue, though I think to be completely accurate the Robin is deep electric blue...very fetching, whatever it is) :)

And that tuning, reminds me of VK4 but with a smoother sub to mid bass transition, and less shouty. Definitely in tasteful basshead territory.

And I've just talked myself into ordering a set...

Doh!

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #1,871 of 2,441
More pictures are not helping my willpower one bit :frowning2:

And no chance of sneaking an electric blue iem past my better half (my OCD got triggered, I went looking for colour charts after you mentioned robin egg blue, though I think to be completely accurate the Robin is deep electric blue...very fetching, whatever it is) :)

And that tuning, reminds me of VK4 but with a smoother sub to mid bass transition, and less shouty. Definitely in tasteful basshead territory.

And I've just talked myself into ordering a set...

Doh!

Haha I see a black version and a blue version of the Robin on Aliexpress. Probably the black one is easier to sneak past your other half, just tell her it is one of the 1000 other black shelled IEMs haha.

I've never heard the VK4, as a few of my friends who have it say the QC is hit and miss. But FWIW, Crinacle seems to have given the VK4 an A+ for tonality in his database and describes it as "U shaped".

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #1,872 of 2,441
@baskingshark

I got the blue, just going to have to front it out with her (and she will have had her birthday and presents by then, so I will have "credits")!

VK4 is one of my faves, excellent for electronica when I want some brightness to go with my bass. I bought a couple of them as a hedge against QC (and to test Amazon v Ali shipping speeds - Ali won by miles), both were fine, and identical tuning wise, though I've heard about the issues.

Jul 22, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #1,873 of 2,441
Haha I see a black version and a blue version of the Robin on Aliexpress. Probably the black one is easier to sneak past your other half, just tell her it is one of the 1000 other black shelled IEMs haha.
Hope Mrs Baskingshark is not on Head-fi 😂😂😂

Jul 22, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #1,874 of 2,441

Users who are viewing this thread

Back