KB EAR Audio impressions thread
Sep 4, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #62 of 2,441
Nice. I really enjoyed the F1 so I too have a pair of the 06 on the way. Hoping they'll arrive tomorrow.
Yes, the F1 was good, I was lucky to get one with the Bellsing 32257 driver. You will enjoy the KB06, I'm sure.

Sep 4, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #63 of 2,441
What has been the general experience of the "swivel" connectors on the Tri units vs the two pin plugs? I had some real cheap universal iem with the swivels and on broke off in the Shell shortly after I started using them. Any good or bad experience / advice on that front? That's really the only thing that I'm unsure about with the Tri items.

Edit: and the KB Hi7... That's tempting, except the connector...

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #64 of 2,441
What has been the general experience of the "swivel" connectors on the Tri units vs the two pin plugs? I had some real cheap universal iem with the swivels and on broke off in the Shell shortly after I started using them. Any good or bad experience / advice on that front? That's really the only thing that I'm unsure about with the Tri items.

Edit: and the KB Hi7... That's tempting, except the connector...

I think by "swivel" you mean the standard known as MMCX, which has been around since the 1990s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMCX_connector

It's much more of a standard than the 2-pin connectors (0.75mm pitch, 0.78mm pitch, Paragraph A, Paragraph B, Paragraph C, QDC, recessed, raised, rectangular socket, keyed socket, rounded corner raised socket for cable with a shroud, etc.)

A proper MMCX connector is rated for a minimum cycle of 500 connects/disconnects. If you had an IEM fail before the 500 cycle count, it was defective and/or badly designed. High-end earphones (such as the Campfire Solaris, retail $1500) often use MMCX.

The TRI I4 is well built, solid metal body, MMCX connectors are solid, and I've had no trouble so far connecting/disconnecting cables a few times (not that I do it often with my earphones, once I settle on my preferred cable I tend to stick with it).

Sep 4, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #65 of 2,441
A proper MMCX connector is rated for a minimum cycle of 500 connects/disconnects. If you had an IEM fail before the 500 cycle count, it was defective and/or badly designed.

I know the 'official' rating is usually 500, but my personal rule of thumb is <30 cycles with mmcx. Any more than that is literally a gamble.

It's not about being high quality or defective or poorly designed. A tight fitting mmcx jack, coupled with inserting or removing it a little crooked, or using Gorilla grip force or being stupid and using something like pliers will trash even the best quality mmcx.

Honestly, the only time I swap out an mmcx cable is if I got a new/different cable, or if the cable is bad (which is the point of having a removable cable).

Because I limit the insertion/removal cycles as much as humanly possible, I've only ever had 1 mmcx jack break in my life. That even includes mmcx implementations in IT, such as external Wifi antennas.

Sep 4, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #68 of 2,441
Yes, the F1 was good, I was lucky to get one with the Bellsing 32257 driver. You will enjoy the KB06, I'm sure.
The 06 did arrive today, been bouncing around my music library with them since getting home from work. In short, they're lovely sounding. Especially for the price point.

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #69 of 2,441
I know the 'official' rating is usually 500, but my personal rule of thumb is <30 cycles with mmcx. Any more than that is literally a gamble.

It's not about being high quality or defective or poorly designed. A tight fitting mmcx jack, coupled with inserting or removing it a little crooked, or using Gorilla grip force or being stupid and using something like pliers will trash even the best quality mmcx.

Honestly, the only time I swap out an mmcx cable is if I got a new/different cable, or if the cable is bad (which is the point of having a removable cable).

Because I limit the insertion/removal cycles as much as humanly possible, I've only ever had 1 mmcx jack break in my life. That even includes mmcx implementations in IT, such as external Wifi antennas.

Are 2 pin connectors rated better than MMCX for disconnecting/connecting shelf life?
I've seen some custom IEM shell makers charge more money to include a 2 pin connector than an MMCX one.

Though I've seen my friend's 2 pin connector break off inside the IEM shell part before.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #70 of 2,441
Are 2 pin connectors rated better than MMCX for disconnecting/connecting shelf life?
I've seen some custom IEM shell makers charge more money to include a 2 pin connector than an MMCX one.

Though I've seen my friend's 2 pin connector break off inside the IEM shell part before.
Usually, yes. And that's because 2-pin connectors have larger pins and no parts that click. They can break, just as anything else, but it's rarer.

Sep 5, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #72 of 2,441
The 06 did arrive today, been bouncing around my music library with them since getting home from work. In short, they're lovely sounding. Especially for the price point.
That's right, and even better after a good burn in period!

Sep 5, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #73 of 2,441
That's right, and even better after a good burn in period!
Quick mini review. They have good depth to them, especially compared to the F1. A bit more of a "fun" sound, I find the F1 to be pretty straight forward & neutral. These have a bit more bass emphasis. Not basshead level, but definitely there. Really need to break them in more before getting too into it. I like them more than A few of the other Chifi I own in the same price area, and more than some I have that are a bit more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back