KB EAR Audio impressions thread
Dec 2, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #661 of 2,441
The KBEAR BElieve's midbass doesn't sound as prominent as that on BGGAR's graph for sure. It is north of neutral but not a true basshead set. When using an underpowered source or unamped, the BElieve's bass is more slow, muddy and boomy. But when properly amped, then the bass gets better texturing and is about of average speed. If you have heard the KBEAR Diamond before (the predecessor of the BELieve), that set looks similar on graphs and has a similar shell, but utilizes a different driver. The Diamond's bass is more prominent with a slight midbass bleed (and is just a level shy of basshead levels), I'm postulating that beryllium graphs sound a bit different from conventional graphs as they have faster transients than conventional drivers.

The KBEAR BElieve as the others have said is very good in technicalities for a single DD (in clarity, details, instrument separation), great resolution and good timbre, quite smooth. If one pumps the volume up a lot (Fletcher Munson curve) then the upper mids can get hot, but at low to moderate volumes, it is overall very smooth, excellent tonality in a U shaped tuning. It handles complex passages very well too. The only issues with the KBEAR BElieve as we have discussed, is the average soundstage width (though this improves with amping) and the high power requirements (bass is muddy and congested when not amped).

Some folks will then ask, what is the point of pairing a more expensive source such as an amp/DAP with the KBEAR BElieve, does that add to the additional costs of the IEM? Well, for one, the KBEAR BElieve is a midfi IEM, and I guess folks that buy midfi stuff may probably own a higher end source or two. And getting an amp/good DAP is probably a one time investment as we progress further down this rabbithole hobby. Sources may end up being the limiting factor in the audio chain sooner or later, and is a worthwhile investment I feel, more worthwhile then spending tons on cables for sure. Getting a good amp/DAP will also be future proofing as we can unlock other gear that have high requirements. I mean if it were a sub $20 set like the recent BLON BL-01 and someone told me I need an amp to unlock the BL-01's potential, I would ask them to fly a kite. But a lot of other IEMs such as the Final E series (Final E3000, Final E4000, Final E5000) and even the more expensive full beryllium Final A8000 are painful to drive, and need amping to scale to their optimal sound. At the end of the day, if one doesn't intend to invest in a powerful source, then I would advise to look elsewhere from the KBEAR BElieve, there's lots of other options around the same price that don't need amping. Horses for courses as they say.

FWIW, I did some A/B testing versus the DUNU LUNA and I think the DUNU LUNA has slightly better timbre and thicker note weight. The DUNU LUNA is more refined, has faster transients and has better technicalities, but it costs 10 times more, so that's kinda expected. If I were to give a ballpark figure, I think the KBEAR BElieve can hit around 70 - 80ish% of the DUNU LUNA's technical performance (when amped). The DUNU LUNA is also not perfect, it has a subbass/higher treble rolloff. DUNU LUNA is easier to drive, but has worse isolation. So depends if you wanna chase the last 30% sound for huge diminishing returns, or are happy with hitting 70% for 10% of the cost, but I think the BElieve is an excellent set for single DD lovers considering the price for a purported pure beryllium DD, the caveat is if you must have the source to power it.

Anyways, BGGAR just came out with a KBEAR BElieve review here, seems he likes it:

Funny you should mention that, I a/b-ed with the A8000 and came to the same conclusion, 70-80% of the technical performance. Phenomenal for the price, the next closest things are the mid tier acoustune which cost 2-3 times as much as themselves are incredible performers with excellent DDs.

In terms of bass I feel while the decay is drawn out, helping to add some warmth and offset some of the beryllium shoutiness, the attack is respectably quick and so transients are all still resolved and dynamics are good. But that bass resolution gets hidden as the drawn out decay smooths things over. I don't think bass is slow at all, quite fast in fact, it's just a matter of whether you're sensitive to the more drawn out mid-bass decay or not.

Overall, even if the driver turns out not to be pure beryllium, the DD that kbear has developed is excellent, quality wise probably the second best I've heard under a thousand, second only to the acoustune DD. One caveat is that I've yet to hear the nm2+ and illumination but my guess is that this driver will be more cable than then nm2+ and close to the illumination's. Ultimately, I believe (heh) the value proposition of the believe is immense, even at the final retail price, extremely happy with my set.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #662 of 2,441
In term of Holographic and Sound Quality how do you rate Believe compared to its competitor within $200-$500 (Including multiple driver)?

Which one definitely better in terms of Holographic (3D) Sounding and Sound Quality?
I don't have anything really in the $500 range. An IEM I have which I like a lot for it's soundstage, (although some criticise it for other reasons) is the TRi Starsea. I do tend to concentrate on an IEM for sometime and hopefully get break-in, brain-burn in and any other burn-in behind me. Some of us who have listened the most to the Starsea think it is the most 'live' sounding and has really good three D staging, and sounds do come from where they should come. It's the most underrated IEM I have. You may well have much more expensive, better sounding IEMs than me, so may come from a different perspective. But the Starsea has a great stage with its DD, Knowles BA and excellent, in house, treble BA. The TRi Starlight I had for a week, and I thought that had a great three dimensional stage (relying on memory). The LZ A7 has really good staging too, but I am still giving them time to break-in, burn-in. The Believe though is, IMHO, a brilliant sounding IEM....a good test of it's bass quality is Ornette Coleman's track 'Focus on Sanity' which is wonderful on the Believe.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #663 of 2,441
I don't have anything really in the $500 range. An IEM I have which I like a lot for it's soundstage, (although some criticise it for other reasons) is the TRi Starsea. I do tend to concentrate on an IEM for sometime and hopefully get break-in, brain-burn in and any other burn-in behind me. Some of us who have listened the most to the Starsea think it is the most 'live' sounding and has really good three D staging, and sounds do come from where they should come. It's the most underrated IEM I have. You may well have much more expensive, better sounding IEMs than me, so may come from a different perspective. But the Starsea has a great stage with its DD, Knowles BA and excellent, in house, treble BA. The TRi Starlight I had for a week, and I though that had a great three dimensional stage (relying on memory). The LZ A7 has really good staging too, but I am still giving them time to break-in, burn-in. The Believe though is, IMHO, a brilliant sounding IEM....a good test of it's bass quality is Ornette Coleman's track 'Focus on Sanity' which is wonderful on the Believe.

How about against Tri I3?

Dec 2, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #664 of 2,441
How about against Tri I3?
Good news in the UK. We are going to the first country to declare a vaccine for Covid safe, and will soon start to vaccinate people. May all of you be well and all around you be well.

The i3 is a quality IEM with good bass and a really nice midrange. Highs are not detailed enough for orchestral classical music. For classical music I would recommend the Starsea or even the A7. I like the i3 a lot. I have quite a few IEMs that I can pull out and surrender to the music without having any critique or need to differentiate. I like Western classical music, Indian classical music, African music and Blues, Folk and Jazz. For the music I listen to I recommend (for different reasons) the TRi Starsea...classical, the i3 Blues, pop and folk, the Shuoer Tape Pro for retro music like 60's Psychedelia, 70's, 80's, jazz, pop and folk. The Believe most music and Jazz,, and LZ A7 for about every genre. I hope that is not too generalised for you.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #666 of 2,441
Good news in the UK. We are going to the first country to declare a vaccine for Covid safe and will soon start to vaccinate people. May all of you be well and all around you be well.

The i3 is a quality IEM with good bass and a really nice midrange. Highs are not detailed enough for orchestral classical music. For classical music I would recommend the Starsea or even the A7. I like the i3 a lot. I have quite a few IEMs that I can pull out and surrender to the music without having any critique or need to differentiate. I like Western classical music, Indian classical music, African music and Blues, Folk and Jazz. For the music I listen to I recommend (for different reasons) the TRi Starsea...classical, the i3 Blues, pop and folk, the Shuoer Tape Pro for retro music like 60's Psychedelia, 70's, 80's, jazz, pop and folk. The Believe most music and Jazz,, and LZ A7 for about every genre. I hope that is not too generalised for you.

no, that's a good summary... I just have to save up some money to get LZ A7 and be happy with not so pretty casing...

Dec 2, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #668 of 2,441
Dec 2, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #670 of 2,441
Sorry I’ve not heard either.

got it... was going to get Lark, but if it's another version of KZ or TRN, I'll just wait, save my money to get LZ A7 instead of Tri Starsea

Dec 2, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #671 of 2,441
got it... was going to get Lark, but if it's another version of KZ or TRN, I'll just wait, save my money to get LZ A7 instead of Tri Starsea
It’s not V-shaped at all lIke most KZ or TRN models I’m familiar with. That said the LZ A7 or Starsea would no doubt be much better if you want to spend the money.

Dec 2, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #672 of 2,441
It’s not V-shaped at all lIke most KZ or TRN models I’m familiar with. That said the LZ A7 or Starsea would no doubt be much better if you want to spend the money.

yeah, it's easier to spend $30-$50 than $300, but before you know it, you already have 6 $50 IEM which by itself already can afford you two Tri Starsea or one LZ A7

Dec 2, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #674 of 2,441
no, that's a good summary... I just have to save up some money to get LZ A7 and be happy with not so pretty casing...
While the A7 don’t have pretty shells, they are exaggerated in all of the close-up photos. IRL the print is so small that I really don’t notice it, and they are simple black shells.

But no, they are not really beautiful like the Starsea is.

Dec 2, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #675 of 2,441
While the A7 don’t have pretty shells, they are exaggerated in all of the close-up photos. IRL the print is so small that I really don’t notice it, and they are simple black shells.

But no, they are not really beautiful like the Starsea is.
Yeah I was expecting much worse appearance before I got my A7. IRL it’s really fine even if not ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back