Katatonia - "Night Is the New Day" (For fans of Porcupine Tree, The Cure & Opeth)
Dec 4, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #47 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" and "Viva Emptiness".

LFDGD is one of my absolute favorite albums right now!
atsmile.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #48 of 65
I am definitely a latter-day Katatonia fan, and I have to admit that upon first listen, I wasn't as into this album as I was into previous albums (Tonight's Decision, Last Fair Deal Gone Down ("5 four-letter words"), Viva Emptiness, and Great Cold Distance). Especially the first couple tracks -- but it's been growing on me. It's now gotten to the point where my favorite track is whichever one I'm listening to. Might be album of the year for me; definitely at least top 10.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #49 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am definitely a latter-day Katatonia fan, and I have to admit that upon first listen, I wasn't as into this album as I was into previous albums (Tonight's Decision, Last Fair Deal Gone Down ("5 four-letter words"), Viva Emptiness, and Great Cold Distance). Especially the first couple tracks -- but it's been growing on me. It's now gotten to the point where my favorite track is whichever one I'm listening to. Might be album of the year for me; definitely at least top 10.

Dusty-if its good for you, im gonna have to give it a couple more listens.
Ive listened to it a good 5+ times and it just hasnt done it for me.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #50 of 65
Sad news from Katatonia.com
frown.gif

Sad but true, today’s announcement will be heavy hearted for us to bring to you. We can hereby confirm that the brothers Fredrik ‘North’ Norrman and Mattias ‘Krypt’ Norrman have decided to step off the ride and leave Katatonia. We respect their decision and would like to take the opportunity to collectively thank them both for all the years gone by, all the up’s and down’s we shared out on the road, in the studio and basically the memories and moments we shared of our 20’s growing up together. Fredrik was with us for 15 years and Mattias for 10 years and we were lucky to have the same intact line-up going since 1999, but it’s true what they say – all good things come to an end.

We also know that out of the ashes of a setback new possibilities open up. We’ve already found temporary replacements for the upcoming tours and this will not affect any of our agenda or plans for 2010. Currently filling in for Fredrik on guitar will be long time guitar tech and also guitarist of Bloodbath, mr. Per ‘Sodomizer’ Eriksson while we have Niklas ‘Nille’ Sandin filling Mattias shoes on bass until we decide how to move on with the replaceable positions on a permanent long term.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #52 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dusty-if its good for you, im gonna have to give it a couple more listens.
Ive listened to it a good 5+ times and it just hasnt done it for me.

No worries, it seems very few people have come around. My love for it has grown -- it's probably album of the year for me. I suspect it's not heavy enough for the metal crowd, and too heavy for everyone else -- which ends up being just right for me.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #53 of 65
The new Katatonia in a lot of ways is like the new Swallow the Sun for me. On its own a good record, but when compared to some of the truly great work the band has done, it falls down a bit. "Unfurl" is my all time favorite Katatonia song, and there's nothing on Night that comes close to that.

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #56 of 65
man i just checked out "The Great Cold Distance" because of this thread, and i think i liek it even more than Night is the New Day, though they really are just different, TGCD is heavier, so i guess itll just depend on my mood
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #59 of 65
Give me oldd Katatonia! Loved Dance of December Souls and October Tide's Rain Without End. Brilliant albums. Latter day Katatonia is fine, and I enjoyed Viva Emptiness, but those old albums were magical!

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #60 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ill get there, need to finish absorbing The Great Cold Distance first
smily_headphones1.gif

It's worth finding the extra songs from the singles for Cold Distance - Unfurl, Displaced, Dissolving Bonds, and Code against the Code. Most Katatonia extra tracks are not really that necessary unless you are a completist, but the Cold Distance extras are necessary, especially Unfurl from the July single.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back