Katatonia - "Night Is the New Day" (For fans of Porcupine Tree, The Cure & Opeth)
Sep 17, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #16 of 65
I like his choice of words - he doesn't call it metal.
wink.gif

Forsaker doesn't sound that great IMO :/

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #18 of 65
Review of the album :

"Journalists have been flown in from different parts of Sweden and Europe for an exclusive preview of Katatonia upcoming album release "Night Is The New Day". It has been an excruciating wait since the last album "The Great Cold Distance", released ii early 2006. After more than three and a half years is the Swedish depp coats back then and it is skyrocketing with expectations and a slight nervousness I get redirected into the studio room at Cosmos Studio. Only thing that the band scrapped all the material last summer that they thought it was the measure shows where they set the bar.

The album begins with "Forsaker", an introductory track with a characteristic but short intro, a war emergency, if you like before the drums and riffs of taking over entirely. A perfect intro that sets the mood right from the first note. It is a classical composition, signed Katatonia without compromising on either weight or melancholy. A melancholy solo breaks and raising the beautiful atmosphere. "The Longest Year" makes me think of the last album's second track, "Deliberation", not to say that they are similar mind wanders somewhere but certainly in that direction. Once again, the drums, I think. So complex, so unconventional in its nature that makes me a total of losing focus.

The first two opening tracks, made a deep impression on me and superlatives rained but then the music took an unexpected turn and it was difficult to absorb the remaining tracks. Not that they were bad in any way but just to Katatonia doing so incredibly complex music that never gives the listener a chance to get caught at first genomlyssning. We will have to bear in mind that there is only one genomlyssning we got and we all became aware that it requires an infinite number of revolutions of the disc before you can discern some kind of thread through the "Night Is The New Day". Third track "Idle Blood" opens with an acoustic intro and strings. My notes say that it is anonymous relative to the first two tracks but the bass lines were heavy song through. "Onward Into Battle" is at a first impression sound as if it is taken from the band's earlier catalog with its hint of war but the fact is that it seems more atmospheric than the first train. Jonas singing is beautiful throughout the song and both choirs and backing vocals are contributing to a pleasant atmosphere. I could also discern an organ / mellotron-like lot towards the end as I fell for. "Liberation" has heavy riffs and drums song through the marsh. "The Promise Of Deceit" give me an industrial feel and is just a bit slower in performance with their synthesizers. "Nephilim, a Black Sabbath-mimande start and thoughts far back in time.

The remaining half of the disc is so incredibly complex that it was difficult to write something. I have only single words written down. "New Night" is kortriffad and more bluntly, while "Inhertitance characterized once again by Jonas beautiful vocal input and the beautiful strings in violation of the song. "Day And Then The Shade" is more up-tempo and probably the only song that it is possible to discern something more positive noises. Finally, I think Katatonia do well by themselves in the closing track "departments". This is where the band has its strengths, to link up the bag in a good way and leave the listener suktandes for more. This track is a perfect conclusion to "Night Is The New Day" in the same way "Journey Through Pressure" was the predecessor. The listener will immediately understand that it is now time to turn off the CD player and press repeat. Calmer tones, and guest appearances by singer Krister Linder puts an end to this time.

In conclusion, it should be added that this review is in no way makes "Night Is The New Day" an equitable and should be seen only as minor guidelines on how the disc will allow. My own view will certainly change once I have full-length album in the hand it andra November (or a month earlier if I manage to obtain a promokopia). The first two songs made the biggest impression before I lost a total of layer upon layer of complexity and intricate musical compositions. It will require several listens before one can emerge and I get the full picture.

Autumn will be beautiful with Katatonia "

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #23 of 65
I know that both bands have different styles but the new Katatonia is much more progressive than their past albums so that's the reason why I compare them to Porcupine Tree. The new album is less "doomy" than their old stuff, but then again, it's also much more accessible. It's definitely their darkest and most progressive album yet.

I hope that they will finally get the worldwide recognition that they deserve.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #24 of 65
I will check it out. I have to admit that I have never been a big fan of Katatonia, as I easily tire of the more generic modern albums (especially Tonight's Decision) and Brave Murder Day never did anything for me. Having said this, they have a low entry fee (not one of those bands you have to spin many times to come to a conclusion), so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #26 of 65
Oct 28, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A brand new track entitled "Idle Blood" has been posted here : YouTube - Katatonia - Idle Blood (New Song) 2009

Well this one was nothing special. I hope rest of the tracks are better.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well this one was nothing special. I hope rest of the tracks are better.

The new album will probably be a little mellow for some of the old fans but I'm sure that they will reach a wider audience without alienating all their fan base.

It's IMO their best album by far.

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #30 of 65
I just listened to the new album and while it is good and I do like it, I was pretty disappointed. I was expecting something more along the lines of The Great Cold Distance, but it's much more mellow than that. That said, it's still a pretty good album. Maybe it will grow on me with a few more listens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back