Katatonia - "Night Is the New Day" (For fans of Porcupine Tree, The Cure & Opeth)
Nov 7, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #33 of 65
Well, I recently listened to the album from start to finish and although its quality music, its not what I was expecting. Granted this is a very hasty review but I wwas expecting progression from TGCD; this album is not nearly as layered and complex as I would have liked/expected (based on all the reviews).

Its quite obvious from Night that these guys are trying to make themselves more accessible to the masses. Understandable.

Truth be told, i need to give it more time.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #34 of 65
This album is definitely a grower, it gets better with every listen. While nothing can top "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" as their best doom rock era album, this is slowly creeping near or at that level.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #35 of 65
I've been bored by what I've heard from Katatonia in the past but I like this one. The vocals are impressive and the songs are catchy without being cheasy. There is some depth but for the most part its an easy and entertaining listen.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #37 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new album will probably be a little mellow for some of the old fans but I'm sure that they will reach a wider audience without alienating all their fan base.

It's IMO their best album by far.

unfortunately I find it all too bland and smoothed out, just slightly different shades of pale grey, I am an old fan.......I long for the original Katatonia sound as heard on the wonderful 1992-1997 collection:

5195QJ4KCKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The new Opeth Watershed even if you don't like thier new more progressive style at least they take bold directions and mix things up more, take more chances......

Nov 21, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #39 of 65
This one just keeps growing on me. Never had that with the other Katatonia releases. I found them nice and all, but didn't listen to them for extended periods of time. But now with Night Is The New Day, Katatonia rules my favourites-list of 2009, together with Anaal Nathrakh's In The Constellation Of The Black Widow.

In the morning, NITND is the first cd I listen to and also the last one before I go to sleep (I listen other stuff too in between, but my day basicly starts and ends with Katatonia's pearl).

Tracks that stand out to me are:
- The Longest Year
- Idle Blood (could've easily be one of Opeth's)
- Onward Into Battle
- Liberation
- The promise of Deceit (!!)

Heck, that's almost the full first half of the album. Must be because I replay them over and over again, without getting to the rest of the songs. I'm curious how they sound
tongue.gif
wink.gif

It's a shame that the Day & Then The Shade music video is sooo boring...

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #40 of 65
Ive given it a good 7-10 listens now and I think its just straight boring.
I find that many of the songs could be great, if only there was another layer of complexity or a bit more attention to dynamics.

I was really looking forward to this release but IMO doesnt touch GCD or any of their other previous releases. This one is too accessible.

Nov 23, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #42 of 65
Longest year, Day & then Shade and Liberation are the tracks you should start with. I have listened to this Album 7-8 times and while I am new to this band having just purchased LFDGD I do prefer this as it seems more refined.

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #44 of 65
Any other Katatonia albums out there similar to this and Great cold distance. I picked up Brave Murder Day and I am not a fan of the growling.

I can not stop listening to the new album

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #45 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any other Katatonia albums out there similar to this and Great cold distance. I picked up Brave Murder Day and I am not a fan of the growling.

I can not stop listening to the new album

Try "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" and "Viva Emptiness".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back