Kaosun's Vintage CD Player Service Bulletin
May 28, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #181 of 213
Hello,
My Philips AZ6808 started stuttering, will not play after few minutes (sometimes less)
I am rather attached to it.
Is there a way to repair this CD player?
I noticed 3 trimming potmeters on main board, RF signal weak maybe?
Can I turn up RF level, but with which one ?
Best regards
Jan Tuender
j.g.tuender@orange.fr

Jul 9, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #182 of 213
Hello, I have a Sony d-15 that has been sitting in its case in a box for 25 years.  It is pristine in all ways, except it does not read or apparently know when there is a CD in it.  When I turn it on it reads "00" and after a few seconds starts to spin.  In about 10 seconds it gives up, it stops and meter light goes out.  I cleaned the lens lightly with a Q-tip, and looked to see if the laser moves up and down without a CD.  It does.  However, I see no sign of a laser light.  Any ideas would be most appreciated.  Thanks. kenetto

Jul 9, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #183 of 213
  Hello, I have a Sony d-15 that has been sitting in its case in a box for 25 years.  It is pristine in all ways, except it does not read or apparently know when there is a CD in it.  When I turn it on it reads "00" and after a few seconds starts to spin.  In about 10 seconds it gives up, it stops and meter light goes out.  I cleaned the lens lightly with a Q-tip, and looked to see if the laser moves up and down without a CD.  It does.  However, I see no sign of a laser light.  Any ideas would be most appreciated.  Thanks. kenetto

Just to tie-in the information, for other readers of this thread, this was my earlier reply:

Please never try to look into a laser when a CD player is switched-on.

The laser wavelength is generally invisible to the human eye, but it can potentially damage your eyesight.

There are quite a few possible causes of the issue you describe, including:

1. faulty servo motor (this happens a lot with Sony's D777, for example)

1. faulty laser diode

1. laser diode focus needs recalibrating

1. Degraded surface-mount capacitors (they can leak, after a couple of decades)

and there are other possible causes.

I suggest the best place for you to ask your question is here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/530633/kaosuns-vintage-cd-player-service-bulletin

beerchug.gif

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #184 of 213

Most likely it's caused by mechanical parts. Disassemble it and check it, a well lubrication on gears will help. Otherwise send it to me, it'll come back to life again for sure.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #186 of 213
Hi Kaosun,

I got a Toshiba XR 9457 days ago. In the beginning it read disc smoothly but the sound was awful. So I replaced all of the corrupted ELNA caps with brand new ones. But after that the CD player no longer reads disc. It just spins and then stops. Do you have any idea about what happened? 

Thank you.

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #188 of 213
Hi Kaosun,
Great service you are providing here! I am having trouble with a Philips CD10 I obtained. It comes up with ERROR for the cd's i have tried. I know from reading your thread there will be many possible causes but are there any simple things i could try to get it playing again? The machine itself is in very nice condition to look at. I'm in the UK so sending it to you for repair may be very expensive for me with the return postage.
Thanks for any advice you can give!

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #189 of 213
Hi Kaosun,

I got a Toshiba XR 9457 days ago. In the beginning it read disc smoothly but the sound was awful. So I replaced all of the corrupted ELNA caps with brand new ones. But after that the CD player no longer reads disc. It just spins and then stops. Do you have any idea about what happened? 

Thank you.

Are you sure you replaced exactly same voltage and capacity caps with the original caps? None reverse polar by mistake? Did you throughly clean the PCB? Did you check the red laser beam from optical head? If no laser, pls check whether anything wrong with the flexible cable. If you couldn't handle it but want bring it back to life, just let me know. Thx!

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #190 of 213
Hi Kaosun,

Thank you.

If I were you, I'll find another working CD10 to confirm whether it's a laser issue by exchanging their lasers. The model of the laser is CDM2-P. You can also get a working CDM-2/10 to test the motherboard.

Ordinary the motherboard doesn't have too many issues but spindle motor drive circuit has frequent issues which will cause audio issue but it will read TOC and time. We can do nothing but guessing before inspecting it.

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #191 of 213
Are you sure you replaced exactly same voltage and capacity caps with the original caps? None reverse polar by mistake? Did you throughly clean the PCB? Did you check the red laser beam from optical head? If no laser, pls check whether anything wrong with the flexible cable. If you couldn't handle it but want bring it back to life, just let me know. Thx!

I followed the SM to replace the bad caps, and have double checked. The PCB board was cleaned with alcohol. And there is red laser beam emitting from the optical head. I have the experience of successfully restoring couple of SONY D-211s and dozens of cassette players in this way. So this toshiba case confused me a lot. The CD circuit is much more complex than cassette's after all. Thanks for your information. I'll try to get some spare parts as you said. Thank you.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #192 of 213
Hello Kaosun, have you worked with Technics SL-XP7? I tried to bring one SL-XP7 to life once but it seems to have some kind of motor problem. Laser lights up, lens moves but motor won't spin on some position and on other position it starts to spin in the wrong direction. I figured out that maybe motor chip was faulty, but these experiments I did quite long time ago and then abandoned project. But it seems very solid device, and I'd like to resurrect it if it's possible.

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #193 of 213
Hi,

I've my AZ6808 that started skipping a few months ago, now it doesn't recognise discs.  May I know if you still have the parts to repair it?  If so, where should i send it to you?

thanks in advance!

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #194 of 213
Hi Kaosun,

I've submitted a registration on your website but have not received any activation email for my account.

Is there any other way to contact you for further discussions regarding repairs? I've got three units of Sony D-303 which I would like to send you for repair.

Many thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back