Kaosun's Vintage CD Player Service Bulletin
Jan 18, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #136 of 213
I recently dropped my Sony D-NF420 from three feet ,from the countertop to the ceramic floor.After looking it over for cracks,there were none, but the motor would not spin the disc but at displays still show and the radio tuner still works.
Could I send my player to you for repair ? As I have found that there is not a way to spend money to buy another. And I am currently going over my 4000 cd collection to move them over to my classic iPod. Please help me to repair my valued cd player. Give me the mailing address to send out my player. fatcalvin1@juno.com.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #138 of 213
For 555, the most popular problem is low earphone output.
For not reading any discs, a normal inspection is needed to confirm what should be replaced.
The worst is laser broken. If you can find a KSS220 laser, just replace it.
If you open it, be sure not touch the aged gears, they'll break into pieces. It'll be expensive.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #146 of 213
I purchased a SONY D-35 off fleebay.  I began having problems with it playing CD's while laying flat.  I decided to replace the motor as sugested on page 2.  However the closest thing I could find was [DC1V-2.5V Motor Mabuchi RF-410CA Mini Micro Cassette e1].  It appears the same however the shaft is shorter.  The original motors bearings seemed fine to me.  I just assumed that perhaps there were some minute play in the shaft that I couldn't notice that affected the tracking. 

With the unit apart I inspected the actuator system.  I noticed there was a disturbing amount of play (About 1/16" or 1.5mm, maybe more) in the leadscrew.  I decided to remove the leadscrew and shove a piece of plastic in the hole, opposite to the gears.  The leadscrew is now nice and firm with the gear pressing up against the metal guard.

The CD player is now working better than any disk-man I've owned. I'm now thinking that the problem was with the actuator.  It appeared as if it were freshly lubed.  That may have steadied the leadscrew, temporarily fixing the problem.  I should not have tossed the original motor.

Do you think this motor may cause damage to the cd player? Is that normal for the leadscrew to have that much play?  I couldn't attribute it to where and tear.  I would think perhaps there was a part missing.

Thank you for helping us out!

May 3, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #147 of 213
I have a couple questions regarding Discman issues:

I have a Sony Discman D-515 that plays the disc fine, but there is no sound from the disc on either the headphone out or line out.  You can hear the "beep" from the player when it is paused or when you push the button.  Is there a place to start looking where the audio chain is typically "broken".  I have replaced the headphone and line out capacitors, but since the "beep" is still audible, I am guessing it is somewhere between the DAC and amps.  It also won't read the disc when the ESP is turned on, but I am guessing that is a completely unrelated issue.

I have two D-808Ks that exhibit the same issue.  They do not read discs, but when they try to read they make a high-pitched noise.  The laser assembly works in another unit, so that is okay.  I'm not sure what issue would cause the actual high-pitched noise.  I also have a Toshiba XR-P22 that seems to do the same thing.

May 3, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #148 of 213
Funny how I've never spotted this thread, especially with the number of discmans I've had...

The trouble you will have with most of them these days is that the capacitors will go bad, I have a dead D311, D211, D321, faulty D465 all from caps...

My D303 is still good, as oddly are my D88 and D50, but - I really don't use them anymore...

My favourite Discman was the D211, and the one I always wanted but never got was the D-J50, one seriously good looking player :)

Other than that, would like to get a boxed D626, that would be a great score :)

May 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #149 of 213
Duncan, weren't you like THE DISCMAN GUY!?  Unless you're a different Duncan, your "review through the ages" and other posts were what spawned my collection.  Went from a single D-T4 in 2011 to about 40 different players now (including a couple D-303s, D-555, two D-211s, etc...).  Thanks for all your time and effort on those posts and reviews...now, if I can just get this D-515 working!

May 4, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #150 of 213
Hi Zemonn,

Yes, that's me :) all different now, part of the MP3 (well, FLAC) crowd, but - as said above, still have, and still want some of the legendary players...

Glad that my thread helped you to get addicted :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back