Kanye West is a douche.
Sep 17, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #106 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderwall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to sympathize with Taylor and Kanye while still thinking he was a jerk and in the wrong?

That's actually the only humane way to deal with it.

Unless you take the same nihilistic stance as I do. I.e., the whole incident is more of a publicity stunt for both of them, and the whole incident lacks any real importance whatsoever. Much, much, much worse things happen in this world every second, but we choose to talk about Kanye West and Taylor the Country Girl.

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #107 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, considering that Mr. West is known for this kind of behaviour in the past, and that his image as an artist very much revolves around an inflated ego and disrespecting the competition, I ask you this: Who benefits from all this?

+1

Pretty much everyone benefits. Kanye's the big winner here. He gets a major publicity score, including a slot on Leno, with little downside since everyone already knows he's an ass. He also cements his position as the reigning master of Troll-Fu with the insult from Obama. Bet that one really sent his ego into overdrive. Taylor Swift gets sympathy points, Beyonce gets class act points, and a dying music industry finally manages to excite the population with one of their absurd awards shows. Looks like all upside to me.

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #108 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly a lot is being made out of nothing. Someone makes a fool of himself on national tv, later he apologizes. End of story, next.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But how else are we supposed to satisfy our blood-lust and enhance our sense of moral superiority? Chanting along with the audience on Jerry Springer can only take us so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

Agreed. As I said earlier, I'm startled by the lack of perspective and the heated feeling behind some of the invective being tossed around here. He's a jerk, yes. He pulled a tasteless stunt, yes.

He did this at an award show which, like most awards shows, benefits from tasteless stunts. When was the last time the posters on this thread spent so much time and energy discussing so trivial a thing as the VMA awards?

And far from being damaged, Taylor Swift comes out of this far more famous than she was going in.

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #109 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And far from being damaged, Taylor Swift comes out of this far more famous than she was going in.

Whilst i personally am a fan of Taylor Swift, she is not big over here in England, lots of people don't know who she is and this has put her in all the papers !

Sep 18, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #110 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He did this at an award show which, like most awards shows, benefits from tasteless stunts. When was the last

I agree with you and imma let you finish, but Brüno's tasteless stunt at an award show was the best tasteless stunt of all time.

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #112 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you and imma let you finish, but Brüno's tasteless stunt at an award show was the best tasteless stunt of all time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about this:

kanye will let this topic finish but..

LOL

Folks, this is becoming the fastest growing Intenet meme since Rickrolling. If the two of them merge...I don't want to think about it.

If you don't believe me, Google "Kanye Meme"

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #114 of 132
Now that I've thought about it, it was actually Jarvis Cocker's tasteless stunt at an award show that was the best of all time. Although it was rather tasteful given the context.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #117 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't involved in this, but after reading your original post, I came to the same stupid conclusion. If you weren't making implications, what exactly was the purpose of your original post? Just curious.

I was asking for opinions based on forum participants' perceptions. All morning long I had read (not at head-fi, per se) people making excuses for Kanye's behavior: "Oh that's just the way Kanye is" kind of stuff.

I was wondering if people would have viewed a reversal, where it was a jerk white guy disrespecting and belittling a sweet, black teenager on international TV, differently.

What I got, apparently, were some people quick to assume what I was "implying" just by asking the question. The assumptions I received says more about those people than any statements answering the original premise of my question.

As the father of grown sons and teenage daughters, I'll say this about the entire episode: Kanye West has lost his way in this life and needs to find a personal compass. I also hope that if any male ever accosts one of my daughters in such a disrespectful manner, I hope she doesn't passively accept the behavior as Taylor Swift did.

Oh yeah, Beyonce has more class in a strand of her hair, than Kanye West has in his entire life with the exception of his regard for his mom. I bet she's still spinning in her grave over his actions. Someone that knows this young man needs to "get a hold of him," as they say in the South.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #118 of 132
Quote:

I was asking for opinions based on forum participants' perceptions. All morning long I had read (not at head-fi, per se) people making excuses for Kanye's behavior: "Oh that's just the way Kanye is" kind of stuff.

What site was this? I've been to a few different forums, and pretty much everyone condemned his behavior. In fact, I don't think I've come across anyone who fully approved. (Course, I don't frequent forums inhabited by stupid people... usually) People are only saying "that's how Kanye is" because.. that's how Kanye is. He's done it before so it's not that shocking, even though it was wrong.

Quote:

What I got, apparently, were some people quick to assume what I was "implying" just by asking the question. The assumptions I received says more about those people than any statements answering the original premise of my question.

Oh cmon, a person didn't need a predisposed bias to know what you were implying. Just from reading comments from a bunch of online ignorants, do you honestly believe that such behavior would by condoned by the rational members of the general populace, black or white? That says more about you than anything.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #119 of 132
"I'm happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but Beyonce had one of the best videos of all time. Of all time."

I don't think there is anything particularly offensive about that comment. The whole scene was a breach of protocol, but many good things are a breach of protocol. Like stage diving. Or eating wedding cake with your hands.

If instead of that fragile looking little country girl the interrupted person had been Kid Rock or Fifty Cent or Marilyn Manson, we all would have laughed. Now you're letting your hormones do the thinking, so the cute country girl merits a full blown witch hunt.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #120 of 132
Personally think it's hilarious. I didn't think either female artists music video was that impressive anyways. Just my personal opinion of MTV showing through, but arguing about who has the best music videa via MTV? HILARIOUS.

Anyways, agreed, Kanye West's behavior was inappropriate and deserves any heckling he has received and will receive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back