KAEI TAP-1 Portable Hybrid Balance Headphone Amp
Oct 2, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #259 of 337
Burson V5i Dual + TAP 1

(late review)

I have forgot for how many times, I am happy with Burson opamp product, bought V6 series from local authorized dealer and placed in my WHAMMY amp, so happy with the sound output.

I am using TAP 1 dual hybrid SE & BAL headphone amplifier. The TAP 1 originally came with 2 x Muses02 inside, tho, it is made in china I trully believe that the supplied opamp are genuine, from the looks and sound, I have compared with my Muses02 bought from Mouser.com.

Allright, stock opamp 2x Muses02 makes TAP 1 sound warm and relaxed. Good for vocals in both male and female jazz music. The sound definition timbre is there however, for my taste I missed some details in upper mid and highs region. I always trust that Burson V series will bring back these missing items.

Removing the case and install 2 x V5i dual, immediately I realize the problem. I cant put the case back when using V5i Dual, LOL. It is okay but not okay tho, the first impression of 10 min ON, the highs sound a bit too hot for my taste, but definitely I found changes in sound presentation via BAL HO. The resolution is increased. So I let burn-in around 30 hours the highs are tamed and getting in its best sound.

V5i dual, brings better clarity and resolution in overall sound presentation. Out of BAL LO Hiby R5s, Norah Jones’ Dont Know Why and Eagles’ Hotel California MTV Unplugged sounds more alive and layered, the depth are better, instrument placement is easier to be spotted. Soundstage is wider.

Norah vocal sounds more clear but not losing the body, it is not as meatier as Muses02 but just right out of Tri i3 and PMV PP iems.

Low Percussion sound in Hotel California digs deeper sound and have better timbre to be heard, impact is also present, while in Muses02 sound bit “loosy”

Highs are more airier without being too hot, I recommend 30 hours burn-in for the smoother highs.

I am confident to say if you need better resolution, sound separation over Muses02 the V5iDual is the answer, also the V5i Single is available if needed.
Curious what's the best opamps that fit in this amp?

Oct 3, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #263 of 337
SS3602 makes it supreme but cannot close the lid. So, the stock ones were my second choice and I left it with them.

I've just marked the top of my Tap-1S case, to cut two 1-inch square holes, above the op-amp sockets.
It's going to remove most of the "K", part of the "E", and the whole "I" of KAEI; and the "D" & "N" of DESIGN.
Since it will be fairly difficult to saw the openings, I'm planning to use my metal nibbling tool - so I'll only need to drill a couple of holes.
Hopefully the anodized aluminum won't be too hard to nibble. :wink:

Oct 3, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #264 of 337
I've just marked the top of my Tap-1S case, to cut two 1-inch square holes, above the op-amp sockets.
It's going to remove most of the "K", part of the "E", and the whole "I" of KAEI; and the "D" & "N" of DESIGN.
Since it will be fairly difficult to saw the openings, I'm planning to use my metal nibbling tool - so I'll only need to drill a couple of holes.
I'm guessing there's no way to replace the tubes?

Oct 3, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #265 of 337
I'm guessing there's no way to replace the tubes?

They're soldered in, and could probably be replaced - if you can identify their type, and whether anyone makes compatible replacement tubes.

Oct 16, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #267 of 337

In order to do a neat job of modifying the case, I've ordered a 2-axis (X-Y) milling table from Amazon. It can be attached to the base of my Dremel 220-01 Workstation (drill press). Using a Tungsten Carbide bit, along with the X-Y table, I should be able to cut the two openings in the top of the case - without damaging the clear window, or the rest of the case.

Oct 16, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #268 of 337
In order to do a neat job of modifying the case, I've ordered a 2-axis (X-Y) milling table from Amazon. It can be attached to the base of my Dremel 220-01 Workstation (drill press). Using a Tungsten Carbide bit, along with the X-Y table, I should be able to cut the two openings in the top of the case - without damaging the clear window, or the rest of the case.
Share a photo when done!

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #269 of 337
Wonder if anybody heard of this KAEI TAP1-DAC? withD ual CS43131 DAC...
Screenshot_20221021-171331_Lite.jpg

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #270 of 337
They're soldered in, and could probably be replaced - if you can identify their type, and whether anyone makes compatible replacement tubes.
KAEI introduced a smaller 3.5SE only tube amp. TAP-2.

On a AE product description the tube used in the TAP-2 is listed as "Using two American jan6418 tubes for RAYTHEON".
Maybe the TAP-1 is using the same tube?

S58c1a3eaa3814c3aafe7aa35dfa23d86i.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back