K702 in the Studio
Feb 19, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #136 of 305
well of course the manufacturer is gonna post that
biggrin.gif

I got my graph from the He & Bi site
Translated version of http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #137 of 305
You guys now coming up with the graphs also? Read the posts made by Jude in the HD800 first review page (second last page). He will clearly show how wrong you can be by trusting graphs. Anyway having owned both the k601 definetly has a more balanced sound than the 701.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #138 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
having owned both the k601 definetly has a more balanced sound than the 701.

Mmmm...I wonder if the K-702 on your new Phonitor will change your mind.
ph34r.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #139 of 305
Victor, I don't really care that much about the graphs if it doesn't correspond to what I hear. Just wanted to point out to acix a real world measurement of the pioneer cans instead of a manufacturer printed one
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #140 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ph34r.gif

Dude please accept now that the K702 and the K701 is exactly the same headphone except for a color and cable change, neither affecting the SQ. At first I just didn't like the K701, but people are now asking in the topic:

'Why the k701 hate?', well honestly, its because of people like you Acix that try to fit that K701's through our throats while we clearly stated we don't like the K701. You are a nice guy, but you have got to stop trying to convince me that the K701/2 whatever is a good headphone.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #141 of 305
Hehehe...I will accept it only after I've heard them both and compared them. I need empirical evidence before I can stand behind a theory. I'm not sure if they are the same, because I've never tried the 701. My first attempt was the 702 with the Phonitor and this is what convinced me of the 702's abilities. It convinced me actually very quickly.

Now about the "701 Hate", it's a great thread. You can clearly see everyone's agendas in that thread. And I don't want to comment on that too specifically, but you're a smart dude, you can figure it out with a little bit of bright, balanced attention.

Now about YOUR agenda, it's not the headphone's fault that you use an exciter in your music production, bombing your bass and mangling your track. We already talked about that, but you still go on bitching about it, as if it's a flaw in the sound design of the headphones. But, I can understand the source of your frustration anytime the K 70X issue comes up.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #142 of 305
Regarding the K701 vs. the K702, a good person to consult is troymadison, as he has them both (though I saw his K702 for sale a week ago). I've only heard the K701, but I'd have bought the K702 if I'd found it for the same price.

Regarding the love/hate, I think they're great phones. They offer a more exciting, focused counterpart to my AD700, which are more diffuse and airier in comparison. I was on the verge of selling mine recently, because I wasn't sure what I was getting out of them was different enough to have me keep them, and to be truthful, I'm still not entirely sure of it, but for now, I think I'm keeping them. Not everyone likes them, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy them.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #143 of 305
Quote:

True whatever makes it work for you. But did you master my mix on the K701? I can hardly believe that.

Believe it or not, I did do most of the work with the K 702 (and the Pioneer monitor 10 to detect the subsonic distortion) and for reference, I used my Yamaha speaker monitors. I set aside some special time for your project that night and started the mastering from scratch through my Kontrol 1 sound card. It took me about 3-4 hours over a two day period to finish the track to get the results that you have. I could even go further with it if you can fix the distortion issue that I PMed you about. And yes, sure I'm a nice guy. I haven't sent you an invoice for that track.

I hope this clears the way between us.

beerchug.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #144 of 305
Quote:

Hehehe...I will accept it only after I've heard them both and compared them. I need empirical evidence before I can stand behind a theory. I'm not sure if they are the same, because I've never tried the 701. My first attempt was the 702 with the Phonitor and this is what convinced me of the 702's abilities. It convinced me actually very quickly.

701 = 702:
graphCompare.php

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #145 of 305
Quote:

Dude please accept now that the K702 and the K701 is exactly the same headphone except for a color and cable change, neither affecting the SQ. At first I just didn't like the K701, but people are now asking in the topic:

'Why the k701 hate?', well honestly, its because of people like you Acix that try to fit that K701's through our throats while we clearly stated we don't like the K701. You are a nice guy, but you have got to stop trying to convince me that the K701/2 whatever is a good headphone.

Sometimes we like a headphone so much, we want others to share that excitement too, not realizing, that when you push a certain headphone it gets tiresome and annoying. I'm the same way with my 48's, but am calming down a bit.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #146 of 305
It would be nice if the 702 was a improvement over the 701. I'm still going to get the 702. To me the color and detachable cable make it the 'superior' choice..I could get them balanced without having to ship in my headphones.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #147 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be nice if the 702 was a improvement over the 701. I'm still going to get the 702. To me the color and detachable cable make it the 'superior' choice..I could get them balanced without having to ship in my headphones.

Yeah, if you want, you can come to my studio with your 701 and we can compare them to the 702. I'm still working on the DT 48 E and S. I want to make them like new.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #148 of 305
Quote:

ph34r.gif

Acix, you own a Phonitor? It's not listed as part of your gear list. Can you do a review for us? Thanks brosnake...

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #149 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by bias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acix, you own a Phonitor? It's not listed as part of your gear list. Can you do a review for us? Thanks brosnake...

I wish I had a Phonitor. In that post, I was referring to Victor. He has a new Phonitor. The one that I tried was in San Francisco and it belonged to the AKG crew, or they borrowed it from SPL. Anyway, I'm not even sure if Guitar Center has one, but yes, it would be great to test it in my studio. But I will check into it. Maybe I can get it with a 20 year layaway plan. jk, I'd try to get the Adam first. Maybe with the lottery, I'll go ninja style and bring them both.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #150 of 305
Bias:
There are a number of "ingredients" found in what sounds like sonic accuracy from headphones. One of those components, as you know, is frequency response, or, better stated, what sounds like accurately reproduced frequency response. Another one is articulation, or, better stated as what sounds like accurately reproduced articulation. Both of these "ingredients", among others, are probably equally important.
While the K701 is not my favorite headphone for studio productions, I can say that it is certainly used in studios. I would rate the K701 as a very good sounding headphone for the purpose of studio production. The sound of the K701 would probably not satisfy many audiophiles because of it's (what might be described as) somewhat "dry", "reserved", and "no frills" sound. For my tastes, the K701's sound is a little too "reserved", especially in the lower frequencies especially when one considers the concept of listening for what sounds like sonic accuracy. None the less, as previously mentioned, the K 701 is used in studios. Mixing, for the most part, however, is still done utilizing monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back