K702 + Black Dragon Mod?
Jun 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fonebone10

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone had the 10' Black Dragon Cable with Furutech FP-704 Gold Plated stereo 1/4" plug with the split hardwired mod done to their K702's? I am thinking about it, I like my K702's and want to upgrade them for better sound and such. Since it costs about $275 (~$50 more than what I paid for the actual headphones!) to mod it, I want to know whether or not if it was worth it before I dropped the money on it.

BTW, the company I want it done by is Moon Audio, their website, if you don't know, is http://www.moon-audio.com/

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 6
I have the Blue Dragon cable from them and love the results. They state that the Black Dragon is more rounded than the blue so I guess I can give you a rough estimate... maybe; the best I can do really is just tell you how the Blue Dragon sounds.

It adds some emphasis to the lower end giving it more body an making the music sound more intimate, at least to my ears. The detail/imating/soundstage doesn't get reduced any but the phone just gets some help on the lower end.

I would say it's somewhat of a mix between the HD650 and the K702(stock). I like it so far but IMO if you're listening to classical or detail oriented music you might not want to get the Blue Dragon.

I know this doesn't really.... help you in your case but I figure it might if you get an idea of what the Blue does...

Best of luck man :)

PS: I just got the cable, I didn't get the mod done to my phones. 

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 6
i don't know what the detach. one-sided cable does vs. full recabling with split mod.

the nice thing about the k702 is you can swap out the cables and really listen critically and see if you hear any differences.  of course, that's a heck of a price to test out cables...

i had them permanently modded with the black dragon.  as i felt that the upgrade would be more worthwhile if i made the cans completely symmetrical and each driver was wired directly, and no sound was passed over the headband...

i wouldn't be wise to tell you that it's a night and day difference.
but, when i got the cans back from drew, they did sound different from what i remembered.
and the most apparent thing was a sort of forwardness.  an almost "lively" sound which i hadn't heard before.

i've enjoyed them a lot.
but, it's hard to say if i would enjoy the stock version any less...

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 6
I just sold a pair of K702s with split mod, Black Dragon recable and Furutech 1/4" termination. I definitely preferred them to the stock K702s, as they very noticeably lacked the excessive brightness in the upper mids that I feel plague the unmodded K702s.

Honestly, I don't know what the benefit of the split mod is supposed to be if you don't go balanced. Drew at Moon Audio is a no-nonsense kind of guy that will give it to you straight, so you might call or email him for more details.

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 6
I have been emailing him, and he has been very patient with me, answering all my questions to a point that satisfies me. I think I'll get them modded when my other headsets get here in the mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back