K702 bass vs Grado
Jun 22, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #16 of 29
The K702 offers gobs of detail and a wider soundstage than the SR80, but it will not rock.

The AKG certainly occupies a higher tier than the SR80. That doesn't mean you will prefer it. Some people love K701/2. I strongly recommend you audition them before buying. To some extent, that's true of any headphone, but the K702 will never have the broad appeal of something like the M50 or D2000.

If you listen mainly to classical, it might not be a bad choice. Even in that case, though, I'd more often recommend the HD600.

Don't buy the K702 just because it's the cheapest of the flagship headphones. The AKG does not improve on the SR80's bass in terms of quantity or impact.

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #17 of 29

Quote:
The K702 offers gobs of detail and a wider soundstage than the SR80, but it will not rock.

The AKG certainly occupies a higher tier than the SR80. That doesn't mean you will prefer it. Some people love K701/2. I strongly recommend you audition them before buying. To some extent, that's true of any headphone, but the K702 will never have the broad appeal of something like the M50 or D2000.

If you listen mainly to classical, it might not be a bad choice. Even in that case, though, I'd more often recommend the HD600.

Don't buy the K702 just because it's the cheapest of the flagship headphones. The AKG does not improve on the SR80's bass in terms of quantity or impact.

Did someone say flagship headphones?

Also, don't the HD6xx need to be amped as well? Or is it not as necessary as I thought.

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #18 of 29
@Nightslayer, I've never heard the K1000, but I'm willing to believe that they're far, far better headphones. The fact remains that today AKG is left with the K701/2 as their current flagship. The HD6xx definitely need an amp. I wasn't specifically recommending them for the OP.

We don't know what kind of music the OP likes or when he'll get an amp, only that he wants something generally more hifi and with better bass than the SR80. The K701 is a polarizing headphone. Even its proponents concede it needs a beefy amp. For a newbie who can't audition before buying, the K702 would be a risky recommendation.

I'm not saying he won't like the K702, but a relatively easier to drive headphone with a more popular sound signature seems safer—something like the D2000, M50, or HD598*.

* I haven't heard the 598.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #19 of 29
People tend to exaggerate on the lack of bass in the k70x's. When I first got them I was expecting like little to no bass, but it was still there. Having owned both the sr60i and the k701's I can say that the k701's do have less bass quantity than the grado's by a little bit. I think what the graph fails to take into consideration is the way you wear the headphones. The k701's put a good amount of air and distance between your ear and the driver, while the grados keep your ear almost right next to the driver, even with bowl pads it's much closer than the k701's.

Comparing the 2, I do personally prefer the modded sr60i sound signature, and if you have not looked into modding your grado's you certainly should. However the k701 was a good learning experience for me, and offers some things that the grado's do not. The akg's taught me the meaning of clarity, depth, and detail.

In summary, despite what people say the k701's bass still exists, and is tight and well defined, it just has a little less quantity than grado's.

I'd say go for it, headphones are easy to sell, either here or on amazon, and the resale price is pretty much full, so go for it, learn more about sound and yourself, and if you don't like what you hear, sell it again :)

Hope I helped in some way.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #20 of 29
K70X has really good bass. It is deep and extended. I own K-701 and SR325i and just recently sold Denon AH-D2000 and between those the bass of 701 is by far the best. It's not quite as prat as Grado's or as deep as Denon's, but the combination is excellent.

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:
The akg's taught me the meaning of clarity, depth, and detail.

I agree with this experience. I do have both Grado SR60 and AKG K701. If I'm going to compare the two headphones, K701 is way way way better that SR60 especially if driven by an amp. Unamped SR60 wins! Lately I was listening with my K701, I was impressed by its capabilities never shown by SR60. SR60 is simply an entry way to audio while K701 is a headphone for busy and who wants to experiment audio.

Cautions:
1. Never expect K701 to sound great brand new. (I have SR60 before I buy K701)
2. Never expect K701 to sound great unamped.
3. Never expect K701 to sound great with poor sources.

These are the reasons why some headfiers fail and immediately dispose K701. Some of them wants immediate instant gratification after buying K701.

In the end of my experience, K701 is a great headphone!

Will I recommend K701? Yes, definitely! Cos when I listen to K701, seems I'm listening to speakers!
biggrin.gif

Clarity, depth, detail...... you will get these from K701 that sometimes Grado will fail to deliver into your ears.....

plus the Vocals......you will be addicted.....I'm addicted to vocals. In fact I wanna upgrade my source.
biggrin.gif

P.S. In terms of bass. I found the bass of Grado SR60 to be a bit artificial than K701. Yes, the bass of K701 is a bit, but I found it substantial for me. It's deep, natural and realistic like my speakers.
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #22 of 29

Quote:

The AKG does not improve on the SR80's bass in terms of quantity or impact.

I own both the SR-80 and the K702 and I largely agree with the slick greek's comments above, but not all of his post.

The SR-80 does have more bass quantity and impact than the 702, but the AKG bass actually goes deeper and is far more textured and accurate.  While some say that these headphones have a somewhat similar sound, they have very different presentations.  The SR80 has a very upfront and intimate presentation (thus the association with rock).  The K702 places the listener right into a large space with the musicians and puts a lot of air around the individual instruments.  It's less intimate, but more dramatic; the K702 paints in stark relief on a big canvas.

I enjoy both.

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #23 of 29
Akg 601's and 7xx series benefit from ample spending on amps, beginning at amplification which sometimes costs as much as the headphones themselves. Some people enjoy buying and researching amps as much as the headphones themselves, so thats why they have a special place in a lot of users' hearts in my opinion. Some people are just looking for good headphones, others love the thought of running a full blown system from source to cans... it's really how deep you ultimately want to get. 

One of my favorite things about this hobby isn't only that it's relatively cheap compared to other hobbies (cars, guns, women, going out), but you actually have equity of what you own and you can most likely re-transact stuff you don't like and you can trade around... anyway mini-rant over.

I am 100 percent biased towards Grado so don't take my word for it, they do sound same at the midrange and the treble clarity is there, but the Grados can actually sizzle your brain with their bright treble. Listen to violin/cello recordings and you'll know what I mean. It's a bit much for people who like to listen and relax around while doing other things (whatever a 5' cable is going to permit you to do) but Grados are ultimately my passion, they're the only reason I'm even into headphones anymore just because of how in love I am with their lineup and the company. The bass is pretty punchy if you orient the pads properly on your ears and tilt the cans inwards.

DO NOT buy ALO cables for the AKG's right away. They're magnificent cables and I used to rock SR-225 with some serious ALO eye candy, and I can attest to them being worth the money if you're into that sort of thing, but they won't do squat unless you have your rig setup. I can tell you that stock Grados will benefit from upping the cable materials, I mean thats what they do from the factory and you're not about to tell me SR60's sound exactly like SR-225's right? I've built cables for both headphones and the AKG's will reveal your money put in them beautifully, but not if you don't have your setup figured out. Sometimes just when you think you have it right, you'll plug them into someone else's amp and prove yourself quite wrong. It's not always about money either, some amps work and some don't, no logical explanation. Thats why there is a certain level of mystique with the darn things too. But hey some people like them better than HD650's so more power to them.

You're not going to find any bass in the AKG's either that you're not already getting. I never owned the 701's, but I had the 601s which are darker and a little veiled but they claimed to be bassier and the 80's are night and day better for bass.

Summon some courage and get a hairdryer on your 80's, poke 4 holes in the cloth and 4 only, and you'll get the bass of the higher end models. The SR-225's have a thinner cloth over it so you get more impact, but it's more or less the same headphone. You'll save lots of money and you'll thank me for this. But don't, because Bilavideo was the one who invented this technique.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:
Some people enjoy buying and researching amps as much as the headphones themselves, so thats why they have a special place in a lot of users' hearts in my opinion.

I am 100 percent biased towards Grado so don't take my word for it, they do sound same at the midrange and the treble clarity is there, but the Grados can actually sizzle your brain with their bright treble.

Yes, that is why I am enjoying my K701 because it makes me a researcher all the time in the headfi. When my K701 was brand new still, I thought that it was brighter than my SR60 to the point that it was painful to my ears, but after a year, K701 is now a smooth chocolate, so smooth in treble that is far away from SR60. Anyway don't be sad Grado, the treble that you have is your uniqueness too. But Grado will never compete with audiophile headphones like K701 in most areas in my opinion.
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #25 of 29
Wow, I went away for a day and the thread exploded! Thanks to all for all the input. I am definitely heeding everyone's warnings about the K70x's pickiness, but I still find myself drawn to them. I think what seems to attract me is the extreme clarity they seem to offer coupled with their supposedly huge soundstage and great separation. I want something wider and more revealing than the SR80s. I love the SR80s for rock, but not so much for classical. I even find the HD238s I have to do much better with classical, despite their humongous mid-bass hump and distortion problems (their soundstage is much more spacious than the 80s). I want to be able to listen to a concerto and hear the violinist's fingers hit the fingerboard or the clarinet's keys clacking. This sounds like what I might get from the AKGs (with decent source material, obviously) but my one hangup has been the bass... BTW, I listen to pretty much everything you can think of (from brain slamming dubstep to light chamber music), so I highly doubt there's one perfect headphone out there for me. I guess I'm starting to see the k702s as part of my future collection as opposed to my ONE pair of headphones. I'm just looking for a good place to start. And I'll still have my SR80s which I can mod as several have suggested (thanks for those ideas, guys). 

TakashiMiike: You bring up a good point about reselling. There seems to be plenty of demand for these things. 

Wilyodysseus: I actually have been looking pretty closely at the HD598s. I've been reading great things about them. They seem to be a warmer, bassier, less revealing version of the K702s, which actually sounds pretty attractive... I can see myself having these as well as the AKGs, but I suppose I'll have to pick one to start with. Unless someone wants to loan me some money... :p 

BTW, not to open a whole new can of worms, but what are everyone's thoughts on going the tube route with the K702s? I've heard it can be great and add some nice warmth, but others seem to insist on the necessity of a SS amp in order to get enough current to them. 

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #26 of 29

Quote:
Yes, that is why I am enjoying my K701 because it makes me a researcher all the time in the headfi. When my K701 was brand new still, I thought that it was brighter than my SR60 to the point that it was painful to my ears, but after a year, K701 is now a smooth chocolate, so smooth in treble that is far away from SR60. Anyway don't be sad Grado, the treble that you have is your uniqueness too. But Grado will never compete with audiophile headphones like K701 in most areas in my opinion.
biggrin.gif

Haha well I've never heard the K701 so you might be onto something. The 601 isn't even close though through the average portable USB DAC/Amp compared to my SR's.

Quote:
Wow, I went away for a day and the thread exploded! Thanks to all for all the input. I am definitely heeding everyone's warnings about the K70x's pickiness, but I still find myself drawn to them. I think what seems to attract me is the extreme clarity they seem to offer coupled with their supposedly huge soundstage and great separation. I want something wider and more revealing than the SR80s. I love the SR80s for rock, but not so much for classical. I even find the HD238s I have to do much better with classical, despite their humongous mid-bass hump and distortion problems (their soundstage is much more spacious than the 80s). I want to be able to listen to a concerto and hear the violinist's fingers hit the fingerboard or the clarinet's keys clacking. This sounds like what I might get from the AKGs (with decent source material, obviously) but my one hangup has been the bass... BTW, I listen to pretty much everything you can think of (from brain slamming dubstep to light chamber music), so I highly doubt there's one perfect headphone out there for me. I guess I'm starting to see the k702s as part of my future collection as opposed to my ONE pair of headphones. I'm just looking for a good place to start. And I'll still have my SR80s which I can mod as several have suggested (thanks for those ideas, guys). 

TakashiMiike: You bring up a good point about reselling. There seems to be plenty of demand for these things. 

Wilyodysseus: I actually have been looking pretty closely at the HD598s. I've been reading great things about them. They seem to be a warmer, bassier, less revealing version of the K702s, which actually sounds pretty attractive... I can see myself having these as well as the AKGs, but I suppose I'll have to pick one to start with. Unless someone wants to loan me some money... :p 

BTW, not to open a whole new can of worms, but what are everyone's thoughts on going the tube route with the K702s? I've heard it can be great and add some nice warmth, but others seem to insist on the necessity of a SS amp in order to get enough current to them. 

Dude, if you're into cans and you're attracted to them based on what you hear, nobody is really going to sway you. If you don't like em sell 'em for what you got them for. I owned the 601's which were similar, I didn't like them back then. They looks friggin awesome and the build quality is sweet though. That was back when i was a kid (2007). I'd probably love them now though now that I'm into analytical stuff and I know what "real" bass is.

Tube amplification for guitars at least works weird. Tube watts are greater than solid state watts. My Crate V series amp really hammers, but it's only like a 30 watt but it sounds louder/clearer than amps in the 80-100 watt range.... your mileage may vary of course. Then again, I could be speaking like a dumbass and I'm completely wrong but if you want the clarity of a really neutral can, with some added warmth from the distortion of the tubes, I don't see what could be wrong with that formula!

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #27 of 29

Quote:

Bud, if you're interested in them this much, then just buy them. You'll get them, try them, and either like them or not. If it's the former, congratulations. If it's the latter, just return them. No harm done, and it's certainly the best way to go as nobody can tell if you'll like a can or not, and if you don't find something amazing afterwards, the "Hmm, maybe I should've tried the K701..." thoughts will linger in your mind. Believe me, I would know. 

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #28 of 29

Quote:
Bud, if you're interested in them this much, then just buy them. You'll get them, try them, and either like them or not. If it's the former, congratulations. If it's the latter, just return them. No harm done, and it's certainly the best way to go as nobody can tell if you'll like a can or not, and if you don't find something amazing afterwards, the "Hmm, maybe I should've tried the K701..." thoughts will linger in your mind. Believe me, I would know.

Agreed try them. Even If you think they are the worst headphones ever afterwards, it will be a learning experience, you will learn more about what you want in a headphone, and your tastes will be further refined. He is right too you will always have that itch until you do "I really should've tried to k701" that's just how we crave :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back