K702 bass vs Grado
Jun 21, 2011 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

logicalform

Head-Fier
Hey, Head-Fiers, hopefully someone can help me here. I'm in an area that prohibits any actual auditioning, so I'm trying to get a handle on the K702's sound signature through reading, as they have piqued my interest and I'm ready to start climbing the hi-fi ladder. I haven't had much experience with good equipment but I do own Grado SR80s and have a pretty good grip on their sound signature. I've heard that AKGs tend to have even less bass than Grados, but, according to the comparison graphs from headroom (=2621&graphID[]=353]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2621&graphID[]=353), they seem to have significantly more. I find the bass in my SR80s a bit lacking but not THAT bad. Thus, if the sound of the 702s reflects what I see on the graph, I think it should be more than enough to satisfy me. 

What do you guys and gals think?

P.S. Let's please suspend the whole amplification debate that seems to rear its ugly head EVERY TIME the AKGs are mentioned.
P.P.S. Also, please correct any misconceptions I may seem to have. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 29
Both the K702s and lower end Grados are low on bass quantity. The K702 will more than likely have more bass than your SR80, but if you enjoy the signature of your SR80, make sure you realize what you're getting into with the K70x.

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 29

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I realize they'll be quite different from the crud I have now, but i think that's why I'm interested in them.

But really though, if you don't have amp, I wouldn't bother with the K70x. The reason the "whole amplification debate" comes up all the time is because the K70x do not sound that good unamped, unlike Grados and Denons for instance.

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I realize they'll be quite different from the crud I have now, but i think that's why I'm interested in them.

But really though, if you don't have amp, I wouldn't bother with the K70x. The reason the "whole amplification debate" comes up all the time is because the K70x do not sound that good unamped, unlike Grados and Denons for instance.

Yeah, an amp is definitely part of the equation if I end up deciding on the K702s. Actually, I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting one anyway...

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 29

Quote:

I wouldn't call the Grados crud. And if you could mod them (hairdryer on the cups to melt the glue to open them, poke a few holes in the felt covering the driver vents) (or you could poke something through the grilles though that might be slightly more dangerous) and it doesn't quite work out to be as hard as it sounds, your SR80s could have plenty of bass, if that's what you're looking for. Try also the electrical tape mod (around your pads) if you're using bowls. My issues with the SR80 are with their trebles rather, but I think in that aspect they're pretty comparable to the K702s.

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 29
i have a grado 225 and a k702, and honestly, i think their sound is somewhat similar. the grados sound a little bit more forward where i feel like the akg puts everything mostly where they are intended to be. the akg bass can feel like it's missing a little body/fullness on some tracks, but that probably reflects my less than ideal setup. despite this, i really am enjoying my 702's!

i also definitely seem to be in the minority here, but i actually didn't have too big of an issue running the 702's straight from an ipod - sure it's better when amped, but could i certainly be happy with just the ipod as a source

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 29

Quote:
i have a grado 225 and a k702, and honestly, i think their sound is somewhat similar. the grados sound a little bit more forward where i feel like the akg puts everything mostly where they are intended to be. the akg bass can feel like it's missing a little body/fullness on some tracks, but that probably reflects my less than ideal setup. despite this, i really am enjoying my 702's!

i also definitely seem to be in the minority here, but i actually didn't have too big of an issue running the 702's straight from an ipod - sure it's better when amped, but could i certainly be happy with just the ipod as a source

225 and K702 similar
confused.gif
One is piercingly bright and forward while the other is laid back, cold, and analytical

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 29
@Nightslayer: I know they're not complete crap (they've served me well for almost 8 years now and I do still enjoy them) and they were definitely my first taste of something decent, but in comparison to the stuff most people around here have had experience with, I think they're probably a bit closer to the lower tier...

@samh: That's nicely reassuring.

@Alghazanth: I've heard they are indeed a bit trebly. Is this a misconception?

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
@Nightslayer: I know they're not complete crap (they've served me well for almost 8 years now and I do still enjoy them) and they were definitely my first taste of something decent, but in comparison to the stuff most people around here have had experience with, I think they're probably a bit closer to the lower tier...

@samh: That's nicely reassuring.

@Alghazanth: I've heard they are indeed a bit trebly. Is this a misconception?

The K702s? Yes, perhaps a bit, but nowhere near as much as Grados.

Jun 21, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #11 of 29
Never had the 80s myself, but I did own a pair of 125s until very recently (the 'i' edition), and I've had some 702s for a few months now. I'd say that the bass on them is actually fairly similar in the grand scheme of things, when compared to other headphones. The 702 bass does go a bit deeper, but depending on the type of music you're listening to, that may not be that noticeable.

Not that helpful a reply, I know, since you've not got the 125 and I've not got the 80, but I thought you might like another opinion.

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 29
Never had the 80s myself, but I did own a pair of 125s until very recently (the 'i' edition), and I've had some 702s for a few months now. I'd say that the bass on them is actually fairly similar in the grand scheme of things, when compared to other headphones. The 702 bass does go a bit deeper, but depending on the type of music you're listening to, that may not be that noticeable.

Not that helpful a reply, I know, since you've not got the 125 and I've not got the 80, but I thought you might like another opinion.

Thanks for the info. I'd assume the 125s and the 80s are fairly close, so that's a bit reassuring about the k702s.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #13 of 29
The AKG 702 isnt gonna sound right if you dont amp them. they must be connected to a amp strong enough to do them justice or they will not sound right. Using them straight out your ipod is a big no no.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #14 of 29
I think if you buy ALO version of K702 18AWG Pure Cryo or CXS Micro and the bass is better(deeper, punchier) on these than stock K702. The Pure Cryo cables known to give more bass impact, increase clarity and widen the soundstage.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #15 of 29
No, really don't buy what the poster above has suggested. Assuming you do believe in cables, the kind of differences they would produce are minute - buying a headphone whose presentation of the bass you don't like, but getting a custom cable to fix it is an extremely bad idea on several levels. Make sure you're happy with how the AKG 'phones will present your music before you spend your money on them, and if you don't like them after getting them don't throw good money after bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back