K701's and Amp Choices
Mar 14, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Heed Canamp will sound kind of bright with the K701s. I would say a tube amp like a Doge would be more musical.

why do you say that, what source were you using?
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The K701s love tubes....

but the question is... does the listener love tubes?!?!

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #17 of 66
grasshpr,

is it possible to buy the DIY Millett Hyrbid in a kit form, with all the parts and metal housing? Or, is there a completed form of this amp?

thanks,

John

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #18 of 66
As its a DIY amp, the only ways to get it are: i) build it, ii) get a person from DIY community to build you one, or iii) see if anyone has one available for sell or post a WTB ad.

Currently I don't think anyone has a kit for it. Its not a beginner amp to build anyhow. However, if you do happen to get your hands on one, I doubt you will be disappointed.

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #19 of 66
grasshpr,

I've built motorcycles, cars, boats and r/c cars and helis, but not any electronic equipment (which, in this case, is unfortunate as that hybride, the pics I've seen of it, looks pretty sweet). I wish I had the ability.

thanks,

John

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #20 of 66
I bought the 701s recently and can only advise you that they don't seem to mate well with the Channel Islands Audio amp. Am thinking that they need tubes to sound their best.
Break in is long also. They have had 300 hours with the CIA and still sound brittle at the top and unconvincing in the Bass.

Mar 14, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #21 of 66
I use my 701s with the Channel Island amp, and enjoy it. But I have not compared it to others. What amp(s) do you prefer over the CI Audio? And are you using it with the walwart or the additional power supply? Thanks!

pat

Mar 14, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #22 of 66
Tubes tubes tubes! For euphoria you can't go wrong with tubes!

I used to like my K701 with tubes a lot...then I became a solid-state convert.
redface.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #23 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by pmk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my 701s with the Channel Island amp, and enjoy it. But I have not compared it to others. What amp(s) do you prefer over the CI Audio? And are you using it with the walwart or the additional power supply? Thanks!

pat

I am using it with the additional power supply. Maybe I need to get another couple of hundred hours burn in before the 701s sound their best.
Comparison is with Grado HP1000 and SR60.
I don't have another amp so was just comparing headphones on the CIA. Maybe the HP1000s are just a much better headphone (or maybe my ears are tin).

Mar 14, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #24 of 66
Aren't the K701's supposed mate well with the Singlepower line of amps? I was considering repurchasing some K701's to see what they can do with my new PPX3 SLAM.

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #28 of 66
Unfourtently i didnt notice that big of a difference from my beresford tc-7510 dac to the heed canamp with my k701, but thats only because my source is still my crappy onboard soundcard ;( (i think and hope :p)

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #29 of 66
The 701 definitely sounds great out of the M Hornet. If a portable is necessary, I give it my firm vote. I just placed an order for the Eddie Current ECSS on impressions that it mated well with the 701 and RS-1, but I'll have to wait for it to ship before I'll know for sure.

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #30 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by tcpoint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the K701 sound with a SOHA?

I haven't finished my SOHA yet, but I'm sure others in DIY have combined the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back