K701's and Amp Choices
Mar 14, 2007 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

Dr.J

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings, everyone!

After reading quite a bit on this forum, I decided to go for it and ordered a pair of K701's; I'll probably receive them sometime next week.

I'm still reading threads and wondering about the influence of a dedicated headphone amp. And, so, here's my question:

are there any ideal amp choices out there for the K701's and if so, what are they?

thanks,

John

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 66
i received my heed a couple of weeks ago and have just finished burning it in and it's amazing with the 701s. (which also need LOTS of break-in time) they are the only full sized cans i have (at the moment) and it's the only amp i have so i can't compare it, but i can promise that you won't be disappointed.

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Heed Canamp will sound kind of bright with the K701s. I would say a tube amp like a Doge would be more musical.

Did you try Heed?

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 66
I run a pimeta, it does the trick, not the greatest sound new amp is on the list...

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greetings, everyone!

After reading quite a bit on this forum, I decided to go for it and ordered a pair of K701's; I'll probably receive them sometime next week.

I'm still reading threads and wondering about the influence of a dedicated headphone amp. And, so, here's my question:

are there any ideal amp choices out there for the K701's and if so, what are they?

thanks,

John

I just ordered a Wooaudio 6. Very nice tube amp, and plenty of drive for the 701's. Jack ( the guy who builds them) is great to deal with. I should be getting mine in about a week.

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #10 of 66
K701s mate very nicely with the Hornet. It amazes me that I can plop down anywhere in my house and have absolutely wonderful SQ plugging into my Hornet/iMod combo.

For a home based unit? My Darkvoice really gives the K701s a boost in musicality of these oft considered cold headphone. The K701s love tubes. I queued up my fav opera and I swear it was pretty darn close to the real thing (which I've experienced in person 3 times).

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701s love tubes.

It depends i guess. I have the Little Dot 2+ and it has really bad synergy with my K701. The LD compresses soundstage way too much and eats up so much details.

Imho my EMU0404 PCI -> K701 is much better w/o the LD2+. But the PCI card cannot drive the cans to my normal listening level. Still the details and soundstage is there, and bass is virtually nil.

Waiting for my Heed to arrive btw :p

Mar 14, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #13 of 66
This is precisely the setup I’m considering getting too for my K701s, a Cute Beyond Amp & Fubar II Dac sounds like a nice not-too-expensive buy. However, I also would love to hear more about the way these components work together.

What if I decide to go with a K601, does the same setup still hold?

Was thinking about a LD2++ too, but sounds like it wouldn't be the best choice…

(first post!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #14 of 66
I've had the Hornet/K701 and Hornet M/K701 and TBH, the difference wasn't big at all between the Hornet and Hornet M. Maybe I haven't allowed for enough burning-in time, but anyhow, the Hornet (M and non-M) tightens up the bass of the K701 and generally gives more control over the music than unamped. It doesn't really change the sound signature at all. Whether the Hornet is really worth 350USD is debatable IMO.

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #15 of 66
Get a DIY Millett Hyrbid. Your ears will thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back