K701 whit a smudge less treble and more bass would be?
Jan 24, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #31 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigCW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On your second issue, I found loss of refinement to be a non-issue. The K601 isn't less refined, it's just refined in a different way. I find the K701s very bad sounding with much music, while the 601s on the other hand work great with just about anything, and are quite accurate without sounding artificial. I think the mids sound quite artificial on the K701 and the 601 sounds a lot better all around. Just my opinion, though. Many people disagree with me.

I agree with you. I find the increase in "detail" on the K701 just to be treble sparkle -- in other words a hot treble in hopes of faking it so to speak.

The K601 is an amazing reference point that works with just about anything you throw at it.

IMO, K701 = mastering / K601 = listening.

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #32 of 79
Quote:

To address your first point- don't bother with the cable replacement. There is absolutely undoubtedly no difference between cables almost ever, and furthermore even if there were, the differences wouldn't be big enough to give you the characteristics you wanted.

You have absolutely no clue. Re-cabeling can make a significant audible difference with headphones, just as IC's and cables effect speaker driven systems. The Equinox most certainly has significant effect on 702's. More dramatic still is the Cardas recabling Jacob Soloz did on my RS-2's -- close to a day and night difference.

If you cannot hear the difference, it does not mean it doesn't exist and that others cannot hear differences. You remind me of tennis players who cannot handle a big serve and constantly call them "out" -- if you cannot see the ball, it doesn't mean it was out. In your case, because you either do not have the capacity to hear the differences; or do not have sufficiently resolving associated gear; or have simply never hear a proper recabling of an appropriate headphone means squat.

Simply put: you don't know what you don't know.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #33 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have absolutely no clue. Re-cabeling can make a significant audible difference with headphones, just as IC's and cables effect speaker driven systems. The Equinox most certainly has significant effect on 702's. More dramatic still is the Cardas recabling Jacob Soloz did on my RS-2's -- close to a day and night difference.

If you cannot hear the difference, it does not mean it doesn't exist and that others cannot hear differences. You remind me of tennis players who cannot handle a big serve and constantly call them "out" -- if you cannot see the ball, it doesn't mean it was out. In your case, because you either do not have the capacity to hear the differences; or do not have sufficiently resolving associated gear; or have simply never hear a proper recabling of an appropriate headphone means squat.

Scientific proof please.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #34 of 79
^^^^^^^

There is life beyond numeric measurement -- blind A/B testing is quantifiable in the final results and are SOP in the audio world. Easy in the case of the 702's since the cable is detachable.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #35 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^^^^^

There is life beyond numeric measurement -- blind A/B testing is quantifiable in the final results and are SOP in the audio world. Easy in the case of the 702's since the cable is detachable.

I agree with you, placebo has been supported through rigorous lab testing.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #36 of 79
Yeah, but are you really suggesting he pays extra for a placebo effect when he can just get a better headphone/amp/dac?

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #37 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you, placebo has been supported through rigorous lab testing.

Double blind testing will remove the placebo effect. But has it ever been done with the k701 and expensive cable vs. stock? or any other headphone for that matter.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #38 of 79
I could do a DBT with the Cardas single end and the normal cable if I wanted to, but that would take so long...
I just like how the Cardas looks and feels, so that's good enough reason for me to keep it.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #39 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Double blind testing will remove the placebo effect. But has it ever been done with the k701 and expensive cable vs. stock? or any other headphone for that matter.

There was a DBT at a meet with a coat hanger I believe
People loved it.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #40 of 79
lol
I don't think that would allow any movement while sitting down, must be for serious listeners only

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #42 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a DBT at a meet with a coat hanger I believe
People loved it.

If you charged enough money for it people would buy it no doubt...and hear an improvement.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #43 of 79
Whenever anyone mentions "recable" in these forums anymore, discussions just spiral into pointless arguments. If you wish to say "in my personal opinion, a recable won't / will give you enough difference" then that can surely be taken as respected opinion, but when everyone says "you're wrong, it makes no / lots of difference [bla, bla, insert argumentals with lack of proof here]", no one benefits, because the topic gets clogged up with pointless arguments that don't give the OP any information what-so-ever.

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #44 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were you using a "weak" or "portable" amp to drive it in the past ?
In the past I was tight on budget, ended up using my rsa predator to drive it, and hoo boy, ahead were tough months.
Set up a wts thread for it for a few weeks but still no buyers(other forums), and it sounded seriously bright, not to mention mine was with moon audio black dragon cable, it was super fatiguing.

Till a fine day, 1/1/2010 to be exact, the local distributor of audio trak imAmp decided to give a promotion.. small, compact, strong, versatile, I decided to take the plunge, and I finally found back my love for it.

Those few months whilst driving it with rsa predator is seriously painful, as I was letting the k702 rot as I simply cant listen to it with predator.

But all is well now
biggrin.gif

Glad that no one offered to buy my k702 w MA BD cable in the past.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Millet Portable Hybid is one portable amp drive the 701s very well. But you have to use it with a good source like a decent CD player to get the very best out of it.

Many people have said that the 701s need a desktop amp but IMO, this particular portable has equaled or even bettered several desktop amps I've auditioned when driving the 701s.

There also seems to have been changes in the 701s life. My late model 701s sound less bright and has a bit more bass than earlier models I've tried.

My suggestion to the OP is to seek out a late model pair (S/N 29xxx and above) and comparing them to his.

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #45 of 79
Quote:

To address your first point- don't bother with the cable replacement. There is absolutely undoubtedly no difference between cables almost ever, and furthermore even if there were, the differences wouldn't be big enough to give you the characteristics you wanted..

I agree. Cables make very subtle differences at best. But many will not hear of this. After one pays $300 for a cable "upgrade", they believe there will be an improvement. If they think there will be an improvement, there will be. But there actually won't be.

Quote:

I find the K701s very bad sounding with much music, while the 601s on the other hand work great with just about anything, and are quite accurate without sounding artificial.

If they work great with everything, how could they possibly be accurate? Are there no good and bad recordings? If there are, then it obviously can't differentiate between them.

If a headphone sounds great with everything, it's dummying down to the lowest common denominator. Hardly accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back