K701 whit a smudge less treble and more bass would be?
Jan 24, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #17 of 79
x2 on the beyer 880 idea, but only if you get the MANUFAKTUR 600 ohm version.

I have the 701, the 880/600, and the HD600 (plus lots of time on the 650, although I don't own it). Also have the Pro 750 (but that's a closed phone, so the criteria and decisions are different).

On the basis of your OP, there is no doubt in my mind that you will love the 880/600. And the MANUFAKTUR version (especially if you are willing to order off the German site and pay in Euros, for then you will have the most choices) has excellent quality control, and lots of kewl options.

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #19 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by mangamonster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Initially the 701's were a tad bright for my taste, until I bought the MK IV SE tube amp...it really balanced it out and brought down the highs a notch, while keeping the details and dynamics to my liking.

Were you using a "weak" or "portable" amp to drive it in the past ?
In the past I was tight on budget, ended up using my rsa predator to drive it, and hoo boy, ahead were tough months.
Set up a wts thread for it for a few weeks but still no buyers(other forums), and it sounded seriously bright, not to mention mine was with moon audio black dragon cable, it was super fatiguing.

Till a fine day, 1/1/2010 to be exact, the local distributor of audio trak imAmp decided to give a promotion.. small, compact, strong, versatile, I decided to take the plunge, and I finally found back my love for it.

Those few months whilst driving it with rsa predator is seriously painful, as I was letting the k702 rot as I simply cant listen to it with predator.

But all is well now
biggrin.gif

Glad that no one offered to buy my k702 w MA BD cable in the past.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #20 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried rolling pads and stuffing the frame?

Lets try not to give such recommendations ok ?
Not everyone do such stuff to the goods that they paid so much for.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #21 of 79
Another recommendation on the HD600. I've heard most of the suggestions in this thread and I keep coming back to my HD600.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #22 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Equinox cable gave my 702's exactly what you are describing. The difference was not subtle.

No, it didn't.

Quote:

Akg k601 are noticeable less detailed, have smaller soundstage, lack in depth , warmer-laid back sound but very, very fun to listen and IMO good compliment to k702.

See, people keep telling me this, and I don't hear it with my friend's K701s. There might be a bit more traditional 'analytic sound' in the K701s, but I think the K601s make up for it in their more accurate, plentiful bass and more natural mids.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #23 of 79
Well then, without supposedly "stepping down", it looks like you might not have many options. If you've got the money to fork out, perhaps the Sennheiser HD800 or Beyerdynamic T1 will fit the bill, but so far it seems too early to judge on the T1, and there are plenty of people who comment on the HD800 being too bright as many do for the K701, so it's possible only the bass will be taken care of. Other than that I personally don't know of any headphones that are as supposedly as transparent and as detailed as the K701 but have only fairly small adjustments to the sound otherwise.

[edit]But be aware that the K601 will be the cheapest option, then mostly likely an amp change, and then the most expensive of the lot will be a high end headphone like the HD800 or T1. If HD800 demands have finally caught up and you can find somewhere to demo them, it'll surely be worth the experience anyway.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #24 of 79
I'm with the posters who recommend the K601 and the HD600. I think either one would be an excellent choice for you - the K601 will sound a little closer to the K701 in terms of separation/soundstage; HD600 will sound a little smoother, but with a smaller soundstage. Both very good headphones in their own right, though.

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #25 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigCW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't bother at all.

I disagree. I find the K701 to sound much more clinical and boring. The K601s don't sacrifice (much) in the way of being analytical, yet still offer a more fun, smoother sound with better bass. I think the soundstage of the two phones are so similar it's pointless to compare,but the K701 might have a slight advantage in depth (not sure, might have to borrow my friend's again).

i dont find the k701 to have a good depth......at all.its soundstage is very wide and artificial,but thats just my opinion.

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #26 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont find the k701 to have a good depth......at all.its soundstage is very wide and artificial,but thats just my opinion.

If there is something that the 702's do better then most of the hps, it's the depth, that match the very wide sound image to create a perfect sphere.
It can sound distance and maybe "artificial" if you don't have the right power to drive them.

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #27 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lets try not to give such recommendations ok ?
Not everyone do such stuff to the goods that they paid so much for.

Uhuh.

Well the fact of the matter is that, with the exception of just a few (eg AD700 and AD900), no two phones sound alike and the OP will be disappointed if he is looking for an "AKG K701 with more bass".

K601? It's no K701. It's a 601. Unlike the K701 I find that it is only very good for acoustic music, and not much good for much else (much like the HD600).

If you were to hunt for something with similar speed, you might come across the AD2000. Not only is it more expensive, but its also significantly warmer, more balanced (i.e. female vocals wont sound the same), and the soundstage is much smaller.

What sounds like a K701 with more bass? A k701 with more bass. Performing a mod on it is going to be the cheapest way to get that sound instead of either a. adding an IMO terrible amp that will colour the phone (amps should be close to neutral) or spending a lot of money searching for "that sound".

The DT880 is great, but does it sound like a K701? Not really!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there is something that the 702's do better then most of the hps, it's the depth, that match the very wide sound image to create a perfect sphere.
It can sound distance and maybe "artificial" if you don't have the right power to drive them.

Having heard the headphone from a few amps (my own HR2 and a stores Auditor, T3H etc), I somewhat agree with you, however I think that for small works (chamber music), the K701 always has an artificial soundstage, but it is far from cavernous.

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #28 of 79
Tanks for the replies.

It seams like its either the hd600, k601 or dt880 600ohm.
I'm also considering the RS1/2. Do they have a wider soundstage and more depth than the MS1s, love the MS1.

As I mentioned before, when trying the different hps I used a canamp which is SS. And I recently bought a X-can v8, tube, and it's a keeper.
Might bring out some warmth from the 701?
Grundig PS2600 -> Cambridge audio 640p -> X-Can V8 ->?

I listen mostly to rock, radiohead zeppelin hendrix, and softer like bon iver, lykke li, fleet foxes.
I'm also looking inte hip-hop and industrial, NIN Tool.

The 701 doesn't have the best reputation in these genres.
702 with cable replacement? XX1000 moded grados/alessandro?
Worried about loss of refinement with HD600 and K601. Moding the might help a little?

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #30 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by jegarn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
702 with cable replacement? XX1000 moded grados/alessandro?
Worried about loss of refinement with HD600 and K601. Moding the might help a little?

To address your first point- don't bother with the cable replacement. There is absolutely undoubtedly no difference between cables almost ever, and furthermore even if there were, the differences wouldn't be big enough to give you the characteristics you wanted.

On your second issue, I found loss of refinement to be a non-issue. The K601 isn't less refined, it's just refined in a different way. I find the K701s very bad sounding with much music, while the 601s on the other hand work great with just about anything, and are quite accurate without sounding artificial. I think the mids sound quite artificial on the K701 and the 601 sounds a lot better all around. Just my opinion, though. Many people disagree with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back