K701 vs K702 Anniversary vs K601 vs K612 vs K712- Compare to each other?
Jun 29, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #16 of 28
Can't say that I've heard the 612's.  However, I own the K701 (original Austrian-made, low serial number) and the K712.  I also had an Austrian-made Q701 for quite a while.  There wasn't enough difference in the Q and K to persuade me to keep it.  The K712 is a different animal, though.  I think they nailed it on that one.  Yes, it's still not a bass-slammer and the soundstage perspective is 10th-row center, not onstage and next to the mikes as with my Grados.  Still, it's a very enjoyable listening experience.

Have you heard K7XX? I'd be curious to hear your opinion.

I kinda own K612. Listened to them regularly, before giving the cans to a friend as a semi-permanent loan. Aside from their warm-ish tonal balance, I found them to sound a bit congested, lacking as much detail as my K702.

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #17 of 28
My Austria made K612 Pro's are waaaay different sounding than my 701's. I do agree they are warmer and not quite as detailed......more neutral sounding. I think they are great for most kinds of music and very comfortble too. If the K712 Pro's sound similar with just more bass,than I can easily be satisfied with staying with the K612 Pro's.

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #18 of 28
I compared the K712's to the K612's.  Both made in Austria.  I kept the 612's, sold the 712's (and sold my Q701's).  Maybe the 712's had a hair more low end, but what I didn't like, was the soundstage.  They seem to put an extra layer of reverb around everything.  Took me a while to pinpoint what I didn't like about them.

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #20 of 28
Check out my profile.  I have listened to a lot of AKG's trying to find the right ones.  It was actually a friend of mine who turned me on to the K612's.  Kind of surprised me that I liked them better than the K712's.  The K712's are a darn nice looking headphone.  But I like the sound quality (soundstage) of the 612's more.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #22 of 28
  I compared the K712's to the K612's.  Both made in Austria.  I kept the 612's, sold the 712's (and sold my Q701's).  Maybe the 712's had a hair more low end, but what I didn't like, was the soundstage.  They seem to put an extra layer of reverb around everything.  Took me a while to pinpoint what I didn't like about them.

That's interesting because I have both with me at the moment, both are also Austrian made, don't have the reverb you are talking about with the K712. The soundstage presentation is definitely different between the two though. I had trouble with the K612's 2khz region as I found it kind of grainy there. I prefer the K712 of the two overall. I do like the K612 better than the HD 600 though, the HD 600 sounds smeared and congested to me regardless of the system. The HD 650 is a different story, much preferred it to the HD 600 as the HD 650 has much better clarity and precision to my ears and never sounded smeared or congested.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #23 of 28
Your ears are not my ears. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't like either of those Sennheisers.  For my tastes, I haven't yet heard a Sennheiser headphone that does treble right.

Although I like the original PX-100's for portable use.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #24 of 28
  Your ears are not my ears.  :)

I didn't like either of those Sennheisers.  For my tastes, I haven't yet heard a Sennheiser headphone that does treble right.

That is true. Different systems as well.

I just don't like the HD 600. I do enjoy the HD 650 overall though, but the HD 650 is pretty much overshadowed by the similarly tuned but better sounding DT 150 imo. But I agree about the treble, I don't like Sennheisers treble either, doesn't sound right. Much prefer AKGs and Beyers treble.

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #26 of 28
Grado sr325e vs k712/k612??

Portable amp cayin c5.

Genre pretty much exclusively for rock such as kings of leon, oasis, nickelback, meatloaf, bruce springsteen, guna n roses, bon jovi etc

Looking for that live vivid style of sound with instrument separation and crisp vocals

Hit me with what you feel is best guys

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #27 of 28
This thread could have been started by me.  :D  I have tried the K501/K601/K701/K702 and really, I didn't like any of them.  Where's the low end?  Neutral?  I know a lot of people say that, but I have no idea why.  There's not enough low end with any of those models, imo.  I have an Audyssey Xt32 calibrated home theater, and I know what I'm doing, in that I've also characterized my set up independently with these 2 different approaches:

http://www.etfacoustic.com/

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

And all those above AKG headphones?  They don't have it.  A low end, I mean.

So then I got a pair of Q701's.  They do have more of a low end punch than any of the above, and I've had the Q701's for a few years now.  But I've always felt that they were close, but not quite there.  Flash forward, and a buddy recently recommended the K612's.  I didn't know about them, read up on them some, and I trust my buddy's ears, so I got a pair.  I really like them!  A heckuva lot more balanced.  These immediately usurped the Q701's for me.

So then I researched some more, and I have to wonder: how do the K712's sound vs the K612's?  To be honest, it's really hard for me to believe that the K712's are that much better than the K612's.  But ...  I'm a curious guy too. :)

??

[One postscript: I think I now understand why some people say that the K701's/etc are neutral, and why others don't.  Room gain.  I do believe now that the K701's pretty faithfully reproduce the signal that's given to them.  The problem is that those of us who listen primarily to loudspeaker systems, are used to a certain amount of room gain that isn't accommodated for by these particular AKG models.  But I think the K612 (and K712) get us closer.  See post 2: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/1261-room-gain.html .]

I agree completely with your opinion of the K612, it's the unsung hero of AKG's current headphone range. Because it is relatively cheap and has the undeserved reputation of being very hard to drive properly, it goes under the radar for so many buyers. In some ways it's like one of those holiday resorts which people visit and are amazed at how few other tourists are there because it's a real jewel. The K612 has to be the best bang for the buck headphone out there for people who like a balanced, accurate, detailed and refined sound signature. Discernment rules, OK!

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #28 of 28
Yea, that seems to be the consensus. I wonder why Akg would say that to me, damn near had me snag a pair of 601 cuz I like their look better. Not worth the drop in bass tho, I LOVE me some bass, tho I know open back aren't gonna be bass head status.

Might as well just ask in here since I'm talking anyway, wanna double check, no midbass hump for 612 right? I hate midbass hump with a passion

That makes two of us. I used to have the Sennheiser HD598 and gradually realised that, despite their other virtues, they had a midbass hump. This became even more obvious when I replaced them with the K612; more clarity, no hump but instead, a real bass slam and rumble but only if it's on the recording. The K612 does have more bass than the K700 series, but it's at the lower end of the spectrum and very agile, differentiated and present. I really love the K612, but I am not a basshead at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back