K701 support thread
Jan 26, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #46 of 92
Grandenigma1!

I see you are using the samsung hd-dvd 950. I am interested in the dvd player as well. I would like to ask you the sound quality of it as a CD player?

Usually I listen to classical CDs. Now I found an online shop sells it around $135.00. So if it is good as a CD player, I am considering buying one.

Thank you in advance.

-------------------
Source: Ipod (3rd 40G, Apple Lossless), ThinkPad T22 iTune.

Headphone: Er4p/s, SR80. K701 is on my way.

Headamp: Total Bit Head, Aria is coming.

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #47 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
I hear they sound pretty ok
rolleyes.gif

mr enigma, did you just receive your pair recently??

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #48 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddroit2005
Grandenigma1!

I see you are using the samsung hd-dvd 950. I am interested in the dvd player as well. I would like to ask you the sound quality of it as a CD player?

Usually I listen to classical CDs. Now I found an online shop sells it around $135.00. So if it is good as a CD player, I am considering buying one.

Thank you in advance.

To be honest with you I have not used it for anything but a transport to my DA10... well thats not entirely true, Ive used it to the Hornet I am borrowing but I can hardly comment on it as a source.

It is a fantastic DVD player on a side note and supports DVD-A SACD has HDMI output and a few other little fun things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb367
mr enigma, did you just receive your pair recently??

No... 3 months and still waiting for mine to show up... the ones pictured are from Tkam, I was reterminating them for him... and will be doing mine as soon as they show up.

Jan 26, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #49 of 92
Thank you for your answer, grandenigma1!

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1

It is a fantastic DVD player on a side note and supports DVD-A SACD has HDMI output and a few other little fun things.

That's why I am curious about the Samsung HD-DVD 950 as a DVD-A and SACD player. Honestly, I am more interested in as a SACD player.

-------------------

Headamp: Total Bit Head. Aria is coming.

Jan 26, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #50 of 92
Quote:

That's why I am curious about the Samsung HD-DVD 950 as a DVD-A and SACD player. Honestly, I am more interested in as a SACD player.

You really cant go wrong for the price. Ide pick one up.

Jan 26, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #51 of 92
Quote:

-------------------

Headamp: Total Bit Head. Aria is coming.

Here's a good place for researching SACD players: here

Jan 26, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #52 of 92
Hey guys do not panic, I know it is a pain waiting for a new toy but the wait is worth it. The sound will blow you away, although I think that the second wait is worst (over 250 hrs of burn in).

I have had mine since 11/20, right now I am listening to Joyce Cooling's album playing it cool and I am so
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #53 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by la_marquise
I keep on thinking that Santa must have thought I was a very bad little girl as I didn't get them at Xmas...

Now I am hoping I will get them in time to celebrate my b-day and Chinese New Year. Really, I'll take the white cans instead of my lucky money....!

And whenever I read about other's impressions with them, I curl up into a ball and cry
very_evil_smiley.gif

You're running out of time before the New Year! Last year I got a grand total of $5 lucky money, so I would probably choose the 701 too. Maybe if you'd put last year's red envelopes towards this year's new cans, AKG & HR would have come through for you. Maybe not. My amp took about 2 months to come, so I can empathize. Good luck.
icon10.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #56 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Voltron asks, Voltron shall receive.

What power I have! OK, Elephas, now send me your K701s, and throw in the L3000s while you are at it!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks for the impressions and thanks to JaZZ for making it sound like they just can't stop getting better with more and more listening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xert
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripley
Ditto!

Tritto?

Quitro? Quatro?

Jan 26, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #57 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega
Now this thread has made me really consider buying the K701's..you bastards
biggrin.gif

Elephas, Are the K701's as airy as the 501's? I bet they complement the L3000's really good eh?

Er, I'm not sure if I'm still welcome to post in this thread? That balanced K701 is really evil.

I don't have the K501, and can't really comment much. I've heard a shop's demo pair sound "magical" with female vocals such as Eva Cassidy. At the time I wanted to buy them but the **** salesperson said to wait for the K701. Now, I'm enjoying the K701 but have a lingering sense of missing out on the K501's midrange "magic."

Yes, the K701's soundstage and airyness complements the L3000. The K701 actually sounds similar to an AD2000 with a larger soundstage.

Jan 26, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #58 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
So you really think an accurate reproduction can't be emotionally touching? The K 701 proves it to me. But I knew it before anyway. Just listen to (acoustic) live music! Accuracy is what conveys most of the musical message in my view, not «magical» coloration tricks. The K 701 is masterly in this respect. BTW, don't mix up accuracy with analyticalness (which would be fake accuracy)!

You know, its' all so personal...

I only name "magical" what I feel as sounding "real". You can trust my sentiments.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm certainly not for a coloured sound (in proper sense). Remember it's still the HD650 you're speaking of, not one of those (so very unappealing for me) ultra-chic (or kitsch) Audio Technica's or Sony's.

And to be honest, I keep being moderately uninspired by the K701, be it nothing but missing inspiration. I may be wrong, which only a subjective listening evaluation could possibly prove.

Sure I know I don't want a less "midrangey" sound than the HD650 has (which is not at all midrangey for me, on the contrary, I sometimes miss the HD595 balance). Be it my younger age & fresh hearing
confused.gif
or whatever (a mental equalization according to personal inclinations of taste?).

Finally a quick digression, the HD595 that you recently criticised for being a midrangey phone and not-very-natural, feels rather the contrary to me, a very honest and musically respectful headphone without any gratuitous sonic effects, particularly the midrange, which possesses a specially enticing balance of forgivingness and analysis.
smily_headphones1.gif
That's just further account for how subjectiveness is decisive with music (which is strongly subjective by nature) & sound as a side-effect.

Jan 26, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #59 of 92
My K701 has been shipped now... I will receive them in two days...
k701smile9ga.gif
k701smile9ga.gif
k701smile9ga.gif

Andrew

Jan 26, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #60 of 92
NO! An error! They were sending me the K601... I stopped the shipment, I have to wait for the K701...
frown.gif
mad.gif

This is a nightmare
mad.gif
confused.gif

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back