K701, sibilance????
Jun 19, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 81
Yes, I agree. A tube amp will help. It is only sibilent when the recording is.

Jun 19, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 81
I don't hear any sibilance, like robm321 says, unless the recording has it. DT880's on the other hand, have some sibilance, depending on the amp used.

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So when the recording is great = no sibilant at all ???

Pretty much yes. Headphone usually produces its own sibilance if it has heavy spikes in treble region, and K701 is quite smooth.

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with the wrong source/amp... definitely yes.

With the right source/amp... definitely no.

That too. Impedance mismatch does alter soundsignature, so be carefull when choosing the source and amp.

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't hear any sibilance, like robm321 says, unless the recording has it. DT880's on the other hand, have some sibilance, depending on the amp used.

Never have heard any sibilance on any track with DT880. Then again, with K701 there's painful sibilance with several and several tracks.

It's stupid to blame the recordings for sibilance when only one or two headphone actually makes it audible. Out of all the headphones I've ever used, K701 is the most sibilant clearly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank goodness, if they WERE sibilant, I would just go for the HD650 instead.

You should try them. If you're lucky then your ears aren't sensitive for K701's sibilance and it won't cause you any problems.

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 81
I think it really depends a lot on the source and amplification, even though the K701s probably are more prone to sibilance than most other headphones.

Recently, I compared the Opera with my old modded B-Tech again and found that the sibilance/harshness in the highs was almost unbearable on the BTech.
With the Opera it was much smoother and very easy to listen to. I really had a hard time finding any records that were really unpleasant to listen to with the K701 and the Opera.
Then again, the Opera is said to be a bit recessed in the higher frequencies, so that might help explain it as well...
blink.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #13 of 81
I listen to my 701s through the Earmax Silver tube amp....and really cant come up with anything negative to say unless I just wanted to nitpicky beyond belief.

Thank goodness there isn't "one perfect headphone", it wouldnt be much of a hobby, a lot of companies would go out of business and it would be really boring.
Of course I guess we'd all save a lot of money....

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #15 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 is only sibilant when it's got less than 300 hours on it.

If you want to call it something else besides sibilance at that point, so be it, but it still has that artifact.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back