K701 or HD-650 + Amp?
Oct 19, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by StratCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, if your saying the 701's are more fatiguing than the 325i's. Much larger soundstage, definitely, but as far as fatigue factor of 701 > 325i, I found the opposite (in the system in my sig). Perhaps a YMMV thing?

I also don't like thin bass on the 701, it is the most un-natural sounding headphone. I wasn't aware the OP was considering Grados.

Oct 19, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also don't like thin bass on the 701, it is the most un-natural sounding headphone. I wasn't aware the OP was considering Grados.

No, s/he isn't.

Fair enough.

I was just wondering, 'cuz I felt the Grados were the more intense and fatigue prone of the two. Personal tastes, I guess.

Oct 21, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #34 of 41
Some time ago I was almost in the same boat as you are now. For several years I had a HD590 and wanted an upgrade and limited my choice to HD650 or K701 also.

After a lot of consideration I got me a K701 amped with RSA Predator and this USB/DAC is perfect for me together with my MacBook. In the end I liked to have something different besides my HD590. Because.. the HD590 amped was a BIG surprise, so much unexpected fun, lots and lots of detail and unbelievable improvement of soundstage. Did not want to toss them anymore! At this moment I am listening to José James - the Dreamer with the HD590 and love the sound of this almost 7 years old headphone.

So if you do not want to toss your HD595 instantly, I would like to suggest to give them a good try amped first and decide later if the HD650 would not be too close/identical in sound.

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #35 of 41
I'm in the 650 + pico camp and thats probably where my head-fi adventure with full size will end since I got into speakers now (doh).

The combo has worked great for me for all types of music and works great in movies as well.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #37 of 41
Here's the current sate of my gear:

- The K702's are new but have about 400 hours on them
- The HD650's are older and been used for over 8 months (donated by a friend) - a LOT of hours
- HifiMAN EF2 Amp - about 150+ hours of burn in. 50+ hours with replacement Sylvania 6AK5 NOS matched tubes

My opinions after listening to both headphones

K702's

The good: To my ear these are amazing for a sub $280 headphone - simply fantastic for classical, vocal, jazz and certain rock pieces. I found time and time again that it revealed the losses in my 192K AAC recordings (esp. classical) - switching to lossless recordings of the same pieces took my breath away
bigsmile_face.gif
on a couple of pieces e.g. Miles Davis, Scheherazade, Dire Straits, Suzanne Vega. I found I can listen for extended periods without getting tired. For my ears the soundstage is very good, the reproduction excellent and the bass accurate and deep. The accruacy is amazing, I particularly liked hearing people's hands rubbing over their instruments on some of my Indian tubla recordings and hearing vocalists breath.

The bad: When listening to dance tracks and techno they are almost too accurate - the bass simply does not envelop you (like the HD650's) that I feel you need to enjoy this music. It is not to say that there is not enough bass, its just kinda over before you get to appreciate it - thus to my ears I think there are better headphones for listening to that type of music. Build quality not as good as the HD650's, but much better then the Grado's I have owned, headband on K702's are more stiff (but they probably need more break in).

HD650

The good: I really, really enjoyed listening to Techo and Dance tracks on these cans. The music just came ALIVE
L3000.gif
on these cans (Cool World - was just fantastic on the HD650's). I found I was just cranking the volume a lot on these cans and having a blast. When listening to new age and classical I found that they were very warm - warmer to my ears then the K702's. Overall they are a good as a general listening headphone, they are very comfortable and have excellent build quality.

The bad: When listening to classical, vocal and jazz pieces I found the sound much more "muffled" when compared to the K702's. Especially the bass when compared to the K702's! I could not tell as much of a difference between my 192K ACC recordings when compared to lossless on these cans like I could on my K702's - is HD 650 not as accurate maybe?

Conclusion:

I use the K702's all day (8-10 hours sometimes) and I love the sound - I do not get tired like I did with my old Grado 225 or even the HD650 If I could only buy one pair these would be the one's I would recommend.

As for the HD650's they are very good (but also $100 more), to my ear, good for dance/techno and general purpose listening. I do not find them as accurate and after extended listening periods 6+ hours I grew a little tried. I'm not sure they are worth the extra $100 unless I primarily listened to dance/techno and rock.

As it stands I think for my sub $500 investment on the amp and K702's, I have the best sound to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif
- techno/dance is a little disappointing, but only because the HD650's rock these genre's and I happen to have them sitting next to my K702's. If I wanted better sound, I would not get the HD650's but frankly look at the next level up of headphone/Amp combination - yes I know its more money, but thats why we all work so hard - right?
beerchug.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #38 of 41
Owning both now for quite some time, I prefer the AKG K701s. While they are much harder to amp properly (especially at only 63ohms), they are the better headphone to me.

Deeper bass (when properly amped), the best sound stage of any headphone I have ever heard, and among the most detailed.

I really like my HD650s, but they do take a back seat to the K701s.

Sadly my brother lost them during a move when he had them on loan. He has since re-imbursed me...so AKG K701s here I come (again).

Nov 13, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #39 of 41
Necro thread xD.

Anyways, I love my k701 but would never recommend it due to half of Head Fi hating it. I also think the bass is bang on perfect so there you go, I have a completely different opinion to most.

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #41 of 41
I think they just sound different~ I like HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back