K701 Needing EQ?
Apr 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

boznia

New Head-Fier
Hey i've been seeing people on the forums talking about not using EQ with their headphones but when I turn it off with winamp the sound is really pore.

I thought that it was a Dac problem untill I purchased a dacmagic. I still need to EQ heavily to get good sound, the Dac is connected to my PC via optical.

I think that something may be wrong and I thought that you guys might know.

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 25
What's your EQ setting like? I don't use an EQ and this has been the case for quite some time now. If you're accustomed to adjusting the balance of your music with an EQ, this requirement will continue with HP's like the K702's. The HP manufacturers are trying to fill this requirement with HP's like the Denons, Grados and Ultrasones. Even the newer Senns and Beyers are adjusting the balance to accentuate bass and treble.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your EQ setting like? I don't use an EQ and this has been the case for quite some time now. If you're accustomed to adjusting the balance of your music with an EQ, this requirement will continue with HP's like the K702's. The HP manufacturers are trying to fill this requirement with HP's like the Denons, Grados and Ultrasones. Even the newer Senns and Beyers are adjusting the balance to accentuate bass and treble.
smily_headphones1.gif

or they're just trying to make them sound more like speakers, which is what music is mastered for.

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 25
Speakers can be balanced to be bass heavy as well. There are those who have said K702's are most natural and speaker-like to them. I guess those individuals may not be from the booming subwoofer era.
smily_headphones1.gif
If I walk into a speaker boutique, it would seem that their main means of attracting customers is to demonstrate bass and more bass.... highs and more highs. The trend is there.

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speakers can be balanced to be bass heavy as well. There are those who have said K702's are most natural and speaker-like to them. I guess those individuals may not be from the booming subwoofer era.
smily_headphones1.gif
If I walk into a speaker boutique, it would seem that their main means of attracting customers is to demonstrate bass and more bass.... highs and more highs. The trend is there.

Speaker like to me.. That's the first thought that came into my head.. Has a nice stereo type imaging..

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe the AKG's aren't for you.The Dac magic, can't change that. It is a nice dac, I know nothing of your amp however.

I still love my headphones, I just thought that maybe there was something wrong with the way I set it up since it sounds terrible without an EQ, when alot of people do not even use them.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 25
How about a new music player? i've tried winamp before, it sound great with mp3, but too dumped down for lossless,it's hard tell differences between mp3 and lossless when played by winamp.K701s need more revealing source(lossless,cd...) and players(Ulilith,cplay,foobar2000...)
(Srry about my English)

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paganini Alfredo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think "love" is a term I'd use to describe my headphones if they sounded "terrible" with no EQ. Just sayin.

Well they still sound way better then my triple fi 10's. Maybe they can sound better but there still the best I have ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back