K701, HD 650 on Steroid
May 29, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #31 of 42
The AKG K701 does sound like it's driver enclosure, plastic, but I still love them regardless.

May 29, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #32 of 42
The 701 does better with warmer/bassier recordings, but does surprisingly well with bass lean albums too. I don't think the 701 is veiled. The stage is large which may make it seem that way. With better amplification the 701 is warmer and closer sounding. Either way, it has crisp details which to me is the opposite of veiled.

May 29, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #33 of 42
Agreed that thy aren't veiled and decent amplification does help (I'm looking at you, Tube amp).

May 29, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #34 of 42
Tube warm the mids, but lose the bass, and the definition of the bass and the sounds in general...
And this maybe why it can be better tube for the 650.

I like Tube only with planar speakers and a big/huge sub.

May 30, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tube warm the mids, but lose the bass, and the definition of the bass and the sounds in general...

I think that's a common misconception that perhaps exists only at the low end of the spectrum.

May 30, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #36 of 42
That eq made my 650's soundy really tinny and thin, quite horrible really. Everytime try to come up with an EQ I always set it back to flat and realise how much better it always sounds untouched.

May 30, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #37 of 42
Yeah decided to try this HD650 steroids EQ. Don't really like using Foobar, but gave it a try. And the treble is just too much. Everything sounds very sibilant and immediate fatiguing.

Curious, OP, are you almost deaf or have a lot of tinnitus? Why do you need a massive boost on treble?

May 30, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #38 of 42
Auto level, and a few notches on the 55 & 77, my K601 is handling sub-bass on some tracks a lot better than before.. I'm liking it, thanks OP. And as OP stated, probably works better on entry/mid-grade setup. My collection is primarily lossy wma files through the HP out of a Beresford DAC. I used the K701 eq settings.

May 31, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah decided to try this HD650 steroids EQ. Don't really like using Foobar, but gave it a try. And the treble is just too much. Everything sounds very sibilant and immediate fatiguing.

Curious, OP, are you almost deaf or have a lot of tinnitus? Why do you need a massive boost on treble?

I admit the K701 EQ works a lot better than the HD650 one. This EQ is intended if you have a relatively warm source, so if your source is bright & cold, you don't really need it for HD650. The sibilant is caused by the massive 14k gain and the recording, lower that if you don't like it.

In case anyone questions my hearing: (tested using ER-4p)

siruiser4pfoamgraph.png

Check yours HERE. Everyone should get one's own graph so that one knows how one's ears color the sound.

May 31, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Auto level, and a few notches on the 55 & 77, my K601 is handling sub-bass on some tracks a lot better than before.. I'm liking it, thanks OP. And as OP stated, probably works better on entry/mid-grade setup. My collection is primarily lossy wma files through the HP out of a Beresford DAC. I used the K701 eq settings.

I think the "steroid" allows K701/K601 to fit more genres than they are intended. But as always, things always come down to preference in the end.

May 31, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #41 of 42
Neither of these headphones need EQ.

I hear a lot of comments that the k701 sounds like plastic. How does everyone know and agree on what plastic sounds like? Personally I have no idea what plastic sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back