k701 amps suggestions? for japanese anime songs
Nov 23, 2012 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ACGNerd

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new here. It's good that I can find this forum.
Let's go straight to the topic. I have an AKG K701 and I have a MDAC. The MDAC does have DAC and Amp, but the amp kinda sucks. So I want to buy a decent amp for my k701.
The thing is, I mostly listen to anime songs(japanese girls actually), sometimes some BGM/OST from movies, animes and games. I don't really need a "huge headstage", all I want is a fairly boost on the balanced 3-range(high, mid, low).
The amp should keep the original sound style of K701: u know, when listening to girl's voice, it's should be sweet and shiny. Just for capturing every single emotions-flow from the singer.

U guys are very welcomed to leave any recommendations inside ur head! Anime fans like me are even more welcomed to leave suggestions!

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 10
 You might want to check out the schiit asgard which at $250 us is within your price range.I have 701s and of the amps I own the burson ha-160 seems to work pretty well with them but at 799.00(699.00 when I bought mine) it is a lot higher than the budget stated.I have seen used ones for around 400 and the burson amps are solidly built having had mine for over two years with no trouble at all.
  If you can stretch your budget a bit and look for a used one you may be able to get one around the $400 mark.I used to have a shanling hybrid headphone amp (ph3000) and it drove the akgs pretty well though I did have an issue with the tubes in one channel which I had trouble getting from the store i bought it from and from music hall who distirbuted the shanling products.I gave up after waiting two months and the dealer gave me a apology and allowed me to exchange it for another product at the same price.
  I liked the shanling amp with the 701s it seemed to drive them pretty well. Music hall has a amp that is basically the same amp packaged in a different case and it sells for about 400 us but maybe you can get a deal on one and save a bit on it.I think though the burson is better than the shanling but the shanling is alot cheaper and it still works verry well with the 701s IMHO.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 10
Why people use K701 to listen to terribly recorded/mastered anime materials is quite beyond me TBH. Sure some albums are good and the singers can actually sing, but still. For BGM/soundtrack though the K701 may be good due to the huge sound stage.

That being said I heard the K702 from the Lyr/Bifrost combo and was quite impressed. The Asgard, based on what people say around here, may not be the best match for AKG cans (mostly distortion at high volumes). I do have the Asgard but no AKG so can't confirm this sadly.

Another tried and true amp for K701 is the Matrix M-Stage.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
 You might want to check out the schiit asgard which at $250 us is within your price range.I have 701s and of the amps I own the burson ha-160 seems to work pretty well with them but at 799.00(699.00 when I bought mine) it is a lot higher than the budget stated.I have seen used ones for around 400 and the burson amps are solidly built having had mine for over two years with no trouble at all.
  If you can stretch your budget a bit and look for a used one you may be able to get one around the $400 mark.I used to have a shanling hybrid headphone amp (ph3000) and it drove the akgs pretty well though I did have an issue with the tubes in one channel which I had trouble getting from the store i bought it from and from music hall who distirbuted the shanling products.I gave up after waiting two months and the dealer gave me a apology and allowed me to exchange it for another product at the same price.
  I liked the shanling amp with the 701s it seemed to drive them pretty well. Music hall has a amp that is basically the same amp packaged in a different case and it sells for about 400 us but maybe you can get a deal on one and save a bit on it.I think though the burson is better than the shanling but the shanling is alot cheaper and it still works verry well with the 701s IMHO.

Thank u so much for reply! I want a amp that fits the style of anime songs, so how are the 250 USD one do with anime songs?

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Why people use K701 to listen to terribly recorded/mastered anime materials is quite beyond me TBH. Sure some albums are good and the singers can actually sing, but still. For BGM/soundtrack though the K701 may be good due to the huge sound stage.
That being said I heard the K702 from the Lyr/Bifrost combo and was quite impressed. The Asgard, based on what people say around here, may not be the best match for AKG cans (mostly distortion at high volumes). I do have the Asgard but no AKG so can't confirm this sadly.
Another tried and true amp for K701 is the Matrix M-Stage.

Well I just love anime songs and I can get a lot from appreciatin' them.
Do u have any suggestions for anime songs? I don't want a common amp for k701, just an amp that fits the anime style.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 10
I suspect you would be quite happy with this:

http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-m-stage-headphone-amplifier-amp-black-color-p-198.html

$268

Nice cans by the way
k701smile.gif

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 10
^ already recommended that.

But yeah OP I don't think you can go wrong with the M-Stage. You can try the Schiit offerings as well, since you can return them easily if they do not work out to be a good sonic match. The O2 amp may be nice as well so check that out too.

The problem is that anime music has a huge genre variety, it could be anything from catchy J-Pop with meaningless lyrics to grandiose, complex orchestra style, or even hard-rock/metal. So it is hard to find or recommend a headphone or amp that does well across the board with all genres. You will have to try for yourself and see what works best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back