K701, AKG has done something special here!!
Dec 21, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #46 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
PS. The Wheatfield HA2 is a lovely match with AKG's is it not?
biggrin.gif

It is indeed. Stevieo brought his K-701 over, and I did a direct comparison with K-340 (stock) using the HA-2. After hearing it, I gave Todd a call...

They do require power. My modded EMP does not have the juice that they need. Efficiency appears roughly equivalent to K-340. I wouldn't try to run them out of an iPod
tongue.gif

...balanced K-701? That has some real potential.

[size=xx-small]I really didn't know that wallets could actually scream out loud
tongue.gif
[/size]

Dec 21, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #47 of 76
... you can also call to PS Audio...
tongue.gif

Best!
Nicola

Dec 21, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #48 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
It is indeed. Stevieo brought his K-701 over, and I did a direct comparison with K-340 (stock) using the HA-2. After hearing it, I gave Todd a call...

Ahhh... stock K340's. I need to get my hands on a pair of K701's to compair them to modded K340's.
frown.gif

On the up side, my tube amp is getting built this Friday and I can't wait to hear it. I've been lusting for a tube amp since hearing Fred's Wheatfield and more recently the PPX SLAM.
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #50 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Don't rush into the decision! Take your time with them. I almost made a mistake when I was selling my 650s too soon but then I found that damn sibilance from K701... Well fortunately I managed to cancel the deal and keep my 650s.

The "sibilance" with k701 for 99% depend of amplifier.....
You have the rp5 that is combo with 650.

S.

Dec 23, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #51 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradino
The "sibilance" with k701 for 99% depend of amplifier.....
You have the rp5 that is combo with 650.

S.

Well that depends. And as said million times before these are the first headphones with sibilance. I've tried Grados, Senns and Sonys with this.

Rudi himself told that RP5.1 is a good match for K701 when I asked him. He had tried that combination. Why would he lie to me when I've already bought this amp? SA5000 he didn't like that much but I think they're just fine with RP5.1.

It might be ESI Juli@ then, I really don't know.

Dec 23, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #52 of 76
Quote:

Well that depends. And as said million times before these are the first headphones with sibilance. I've tried Grados, Senns and Sonys with this.

Rudi himself told that RP5.1 is a good match for K701 when I asked him. He had tried that combination. Why would he lie to me when I've already bought this amp? SA5000 he didn't like that much but I think they're just fine with RP5.1.

Preamble: i have not sibilance with my system hifi and 701. All is perfect...
Yuo must considers that the 701 have a impedance very low. You have eliminated the object which has revealed the symptom, not the cause of the symptom....

S.

ps
i remember that my rp5.1 haved many sibilance with headphone witn low impedance, please believe me. Besides raising the volume very much was impossible. Imo, the rp5.1 is combo with 650...
This is like spaghetti with tomato, but the 701 is "caviar" and spaghetti and caviar is very bad....

Dec 23, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #53 of 76
Quote:

Yuo must considers that the 701 have a impedance very low. You have eliminated the object which has revealed the symptom, not the cause of the symptom....

S.

ps
i remember that my rp5.1 haved many sibilance with headphone witn low impedance, please believe me. Besides raising the volume very much was impossible. Imo, the rp5.1 is combo with 650...
This is like spaghetti with tomato, but the 701 is "caviar" and spaghetti and caviar is very bad....

Oh, come on. HD580 were expensive when they were new, too.

This strange fanboyism is really irking me. I need to get my hands on a set of these so I can speak from an educated platform rather than just being irritated by unqualified, catagorical dismissals of the HD650 as if the 701 were just a natural step up, while others are saying they're just the flavor of the week and will be revealed to have been sub-par with continued listens (equally unqualified, of course - fanboys on both sides).

Dec 23, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #54 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Oh, come on. HD580 were expensive when they were new, too.

This strange fanboyism is really irking me. I need to get my hands on a set of these so I can speak from an educated platform rather than just being irritated by unqualified, catagorical dismissals of the HD650 as if the 701 were just a natural step up, while others are saying they're just the flavor of the week and will be revealed to have been sub-par with continued listens (equally unqualified, of course - fanboys on both sides).

And the truth always lies somewhere inbetween... Once you get this far up in headphones, things become more and more differences in taste than a true can A crushes can B sort of thing. The K701 aren't all hype by any means, but they're not some perfect god of cans either.

Dec 23, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #55 of 76
Quote:

From my experience, K701 is quite souce sensitive. Few days ago, I tried to switch the power cable of my source (Cardas Golden Ref and Siltech G5 SPX-30). All what I can say, the difference is day and night. Now I am enjoying every musical tones of K701 without any sibilance.

Though I still prefer HD650 as my main system, K701 becomes my favorite backup system.

Dec 23, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #56 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwisatz
Once you get this far up in headphones, things become more and more differences in taste than a true can A crushes can B sort of thing. The K701 aren't all hype by any means, but they're not some perfect god of cans either.

Ditto, someone should make that post a sticky.

Dec 23, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #57 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I had the SR-71, and trust me, it will do just fine, but how can you stand changing the batteries all the time?
eek.gif

use good rechargable batteries. my sr-71 goes for days of heavy use on one charge of a couple of powerex 9.6v batteries. plus no power conditioning concerns.

Dec 23, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #58 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I had the SR-71, and trust me, it will do just fine, but how can you stand changing the batteries all the time?
eek.gif

I listen to music 2 hours a day. That means that my batteries last for a week. Changing batteries once in a week isnt that bad.
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 8:59 AM Post #59 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
Damnit, whenever I think I can resist these, a thread like this comes up.
mad.gif

Well, I guess you just have to keep telling yourself: "It's an ugly white headphone. It's an ugly white headphone. It's an ugly white headphone. I won't buy an ugly white headphone! [size=xx-small](...) 'But I want one!' 'Oh, shut up, lini!' (...)[/size] It's an ugly white..." Hence I'll probably go for the K601 instead.
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover (and I want more K601 reviews - especially in comparision with the K501, please!)!

Manfred / lini

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #60 of 76
Quote:

S.

ps

If K701 has low impedance then what does SA5000 and HF-1 have? Even lower and still no problems. RP5.1 drives cans with all possible impedances so I really think that's not the problem here.

Yes RP5.1 has great synergy with 650s but it doesn't mean that they're the only cans for it.

So 650s are tomato and K701s are caviar? Well tomato tastes better than caviar.
wink.gif

Some time soon I'm going to visit that friend to whom I sold K701 and then I have possibility to hook my RP5.1 up with G08. Then I can try again with different source. It might also be due to "only" 100 hours of burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back