K701, AKG has done something special here!!
Dec 20, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #16 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xylitol
I dunno... the w5k is 2x more expensive than the 701...

Price do not affect quality !!!
tongue.gif

Best!
Nicola

Dec 20, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #17 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Sonic signature is actually very similar to K-340, but the K-701 seems to image better, and is definitely more extended at both frequency extremes. K-701 has the sound I'd be hoping to attain if I modded the K-340.

Ohh. Take that philodox and aerius!
tongue.gif

Dec 20, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Very soon (after the right burnin time) my comparison: W5000/K701 !

Nicola, what happened with your L3000?!?
eek.gif

I'm curious about the comparison, too.

Dec 20, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #19 of 76
Well being an AKG fan myself (almost enough to be considered a fanboy I guess), I'm really going to have to get my hands on one of these. Always wanted a pair of the K340's, but if what I'm hearing about the K701's is true, looks like I may just go for those. Now to save up some money...darn college budget...

Dec 20, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #20 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I thought I was losing my mind
eek.gif
, but I just heard the bass kind of adjust itself!! I don't know what they did, but, it is a beautiful thing. When I was listening to some good bass notes, it sounded so full, with great impact, and tightness. Later on, I was amazed, when the bass level dropped, accordingly. I beleive it has something to do with the patent they have, Varimotion. What ever it is, it's fantastic, and shocking!! Enjoy all.
icon10.gif

What songs are you listening to that give you that special bass? So that for those who wanted to test it out with their K701 wink
580smile.gif

Kenneth

Dec 20, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #22 of 76
Quote:

No, none of that, I can't hear any hissing sound anywhere!! Ultra smooth, with real clean and defined highs, tight glorious bass, Don't know what source your using, but the sibilance thing doesn't happen on my end!
wink.gif

You can see my source in the signature.

I had about 100 hours with them and the sibilance was quite strong. It gave me a headache with some tracks and made various tracks unlistenable. As said earlier, otherwise they were just great headphones.

It might be between my ears also but on the other hand, there's no sibilance on SA5000 which are generally brighter than K701. Weird...

Well they're not too far away because I sold them to one fellow audiophile who doesn't live too far away from my apartment so I might take another shot of them after ~one month when they certainly are burned in.

Dec 20, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #23 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Price do not affect quality !!!
tongue.gif

Best!
Nicola

Agree and I look forward for your comparision impression. Anyone here from Bay Area with the K701 and W5000 that I can listen to?

Kenneth

Dec 20, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #25 of 76
Quote:

I thought I was losing my mind
eek.gif
, but I just heard the bass kind of adjust itself!! I don't know what they did, but, it is a beautiful thing. When I was listening to some good bass notes, it sounded so full, with great impact, and tightness. Later on, I was amazed, when the bass level dropped, accordingly. I beleive it has something to do with the patent they have, Varimotion. What ever it is, it's fantastic, and shocking!! Enjoy all.
icon10.gif

you are absolutley right! akg did a spectacular job with the K701. i find it very well balanced across the frequency spectrum with excellent detail. any brightness after burn-in is due to the source, cables or amp, imo. burn-in kicked everything questionable about the K701 into an outstanding pair of cans. any brightness went away & bass became super tight & thumpin'.

i put mine through 300 hours of burn-in with a bass heavy cd at loud volume levels & the K701 was able to take everthing i threw at it. i was a little nervous about the volume levels but it softened the bass which it needed. it is one hell of a good set of cans any way you listen to it.

i hate to admit this, but it is probably a better headphone than the my beloveds, K340 & K1000.

everyone should love these cans ........ after a good rough burn in that is. i just don't know what else is out there that is competitive & so well suited for so many musical tastes. no mud in these babys!!

Dec 21, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #26 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieo
i hate to admit this, but it is probably a better headphone than the my beloveds, K340 & K1000.

Hey, stop that, knocking my modded K340 and K1000! I don't want to buy another headphone this year.

But... I can put in the order on 1/1/06 to mark the new year. What amp is driving the K701 so well, and do you think the same (powerful) amp can drive K340 and K1000 well? I may as well throw the K701 to my Dynahi and see what happens..

Dec 21, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #27 of 76
You know, I sometimes think we, those of us who care about music, carry about an ideal of what sound reproduction should be. It's one of those "I'll know it when I hear it." certainties. We argue about the relative merits of equipment less because of any absolute standard on which we agree, than because we have conflicting aural templates against which we compare what we hear. The point of this abstruse proposition is that the K701s may be the closest approximation I've yet encountered to my own acoustical ideal. They leave no itch unscratched -- for me. That doesn't mean the AKG is the ultimate headphone; only that it delivers what I want to hear when I listen to the music I appreciate. And that makes it pointless for me to argue the merits of the K701 or to defend it against its detractors. What matters is simply what I hear, not what is audible to anyone else. (How's that for a pontifical pronouncement?)
biggrin.gif

BW

Dec 21, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #28 of 76
I have to admit that they do look absolutely gorgeous and make me almost want to find the cash now and order a pair (though from where I dunno cause here in the UK we end up getting stung no matter where you buy things from thanks to the customs charges)

But I can't do it.... not yet! I only came on to this website when I got my X5 and wondered whether I'd want/need an amp to go with my Shure e2c's (which I thought were really extravagent as they were twice the prive of anything else I'd ever spent on earphones)

Now I'm still waiting for my delivery of a PA2V2 as well as a pair of Sennheiser HD555's. It'd be lunacy to fork out even more on the K701's when I've not even heard my HD555's yet wouldn't it??

etysmile.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #29 of 76
I have been listening to these K701's all day! The DMB, is the band, and one of the things that I have noticed, listening to all their CD's, is that they are very well recorded. I have heard many different sets of cans, with the DMB, and if a can is particularly bright, these CD's will show their weaknesses.

The other day a member had commented that the K701's were to bright for his/her tastes. This just goes to show you, what will happen, when a can is properly broken in! If I am saying anything about the K701's, bright they are most deffinitely not! More like dead on accurate, is the words I would use to describe the highs.

AKG, deffinitely set their sights on Sennheiser, with these cans, because they are so similar to the HD600/650, yet add a flavor that's all their own.
icon10.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #30 of 76
Oh man....

Your just making me want them even more - everything you say just sounds like the kind of headphone that I would really really like.

Oh well - I guess I'll just have to make do with the HD555 (really hoping that they turn up tomorrow morning)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back