K601\701 bass increase mod (also applicable to k501, 500 etc..)
Oct 25, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not a discussion thread. I don't force you or anybody to do anything. If you like k701, great, i really feel good about it.

Excuse me for asking, as I do not wish to create conflict in your thread, however I do not understand when you say this is not a discussion thread.

Aren't all threads here for the purpose of discussion?
And since all modifications have both pro's + con's in their effect, shouldn't these be discussed?
I mean something drove the manufacturers to design it the way they did and not in the same way as the modification you show, and PDot appears to have brought this into the "discussion" so as to better understand your mod, it's purpose, and it's results (not to challenge you IMO).

Also, this type of discussion may be what helps others decide if they wish to try this mod or not, and why.

just curious
wink.gif

and again thank you for posting the mod as I am sure some may find it to be the answer they seek.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #32 of 56
You're right. It's open for discussion about SQ changes that are generated by doing this mod.
But it's not for discussions if this mod have it's place among others or not.
Hope it's clearer now.

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #33 of 56
went ahead and took one tape off each driver. bass has increased to an enjoyable level without sacraficing clarity

my cans have had over 500 hours of burn-in but this mod has truely opened them up for the better.. highly reccomend this to those looking for that extra bass these cans notoriously conceal

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #35 of 56
http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/...d5815555d1.pdf

read the directions on how to dismantle it. the beginning is tuff getting that white plastic shelling off, but once that is off, its a breeze. some rudimentary soldering abilities are needed though

btw... its not as complicated as it looks. just take your time and jot down where the leads go to.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #36 of 56

I've probably come near to overflooding the forum with these photos, but pleather cushions are the true remedy.
Poking the driver would definitely increase bass response, but at a cost of muffled overall sound.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #37 of 56
No, just no.
Basically that's turning open AKG cans into closed with huge "bass ports" in the rear(due to open nature). A standard way to ruin any open cans' sound - putting isolating earpads on them. Bass fartcannon-it's not something audiophiles desire, there's plenty of $50 cans for it.

Jan 11, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basically that's turning open AKG cans into closed with huge "bass ports" in the rear(due to open nature).

Headphones become less open, but not to such extreme degree. Please note large internal volume and semi-transparent inner walls.
Quote:

Bass fartcannon-it's not something audiophiles desire, there's plenty of $50 cans for it.

Bass remains controlled. Nowhere near as farty as an undampened headphone.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #39 of 56
So after the mod ..how would u compare the bass of K701 to HD650 or HD600?

I auditioned K701...i liked it in a way ..especially the highs when compared to HD650.

but problem was that as soon as i turned my attention to other things i no longer was enjoying it.

very analytical for sure.

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by viscosity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/...d5815555d1.pdf

read the directions on how to dismantle it. the beginning is tuff getting that white plastic shelling off, but once that is off, its a breeze. some rudimentary soldering abilities are needed though

btw... its not as complicated as it looks. just take your time and jot down where the leads go to.

So you mean that in order to get my hands on those tapes I have to solder the drivers cables off?

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #41 of 56
im sure you could do it with it connected... but some of them will have to be removed while doing maintenance, makes things soo much easier..... you'll see once you pop them open

BTW where did you get those pads Shoewreck? are they comfortable?

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

BTW where did you get those pads Shoewreck? are they comfortable?

They suddently appeared after long sewing
smily_headphones1.gif
Comfort is OK, but I had to stretch the headband to fit my head. They're a bit hard, but K501 clamping force isn't big. I'm collecting my power of will to sew a softer pair with more angle and less stuffing.

Quote:

im sure you could do it with it connected... but some of them will have to be removed while doing maintenance, makes things soo much easier..... you'll see once you pop them open

I second that. It's better to unsolder the leads than to break 'em during further disassembly.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #43 of 56
A friend of mine asked me to do it to his headphone (I did not tried on mine because I like the AKG 701 as is). I've removed one tape for each driver.

The result was very very poor. Bass was bloomy, uncontrolled and worse then a cheap cheap headphone. I personally suggest to do not make this mod.

I make the disassembly easly without soldering off the cables. You have only to pay a lot of attention on it. I made disassembly and assembly two times (one to remove the white tape and one to place them again), the first time, very carefully and looking for everything to understand what I was doing, I spent something like 30 minutes total, the second time I spent 10/15 minutes max.

Jan 12, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #44 of 56
gloomy and boomy..

to each his own i suppose.

gonna wait till im at school so i can test my darkvoice and zero dac till I try replacing anything.... sounds good imo on an old NAD amp.. but maybe I'm just a bass head

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

gloomy and boomy..

Thanks.. I'm Italian with some difficulties in english
smily_headphones1.gif

I would say uncontrolled "boomy"
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back