K601\701 bass increase mod (also applicable to k501, 500 etc..)
Oct 24, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #16 of 56
I struggle to express even my simple thoughts in English, then you want me to be more accurate
smily_headphones1.gif

IDK, semi-open is established term..

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheManko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I really like my 701s as they are, but I'm going to do this anyway!

I really like my 701s as they are, so I am not going to do this.
Maybe it is the thousands of hours they have been used/burned-in, but mine have great bass and wonderful balance! (IMO)

But thanks for the modding info, which I will file for future reference.
k701smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I struggle to express even my simple thoughts in English, then you want me to be more accurate
smily_headphones1.gif

You do just fine Q
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

IDK, semi-open is established term..

Heh, sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything. I was playing on the words. But yes, you're right they are the same thing so it doesn't really matter which way.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #19 of 56
Ok, so I have now taken off one piece of tape from both drivers, but now there's no sound coming from the right one, so I guess I accidentaly cut off a cable or something. I'm not really freaking out or anything, it's just such a pain to open and close them!

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheManko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so I have now taken off one piece of tape from both drivers, but now there's no sound coming from the right one, so I guess I accidentaly cut off a cable or something. I'm not really freaking out or anything, it's just such a pain to open and close them!

This is not something that Joe Sixpack should attempt . . . . especially after a six-pack
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, the AKG is not that easy to disassemble compared to some other cans. Be forewarned there is risk involved here.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #21 of 56
I opened it again and the problem is obvious. I managed to crush a cable that's supposed to transmit audio from the left ear to the right under the headband. The cable is completely crushed, but with a little help from my handy dad I'm sure we'll replace it no problem.

EDIT: Well my dad said "It's about time you learned how to solder", so he said what I had to do and went to sleep. Now I'm letting the newly soldered cable cool off, so let's hope it works now!

EDIT2: Aw, it still doesn't work. It seems that some wire is still loose, because for a second it did work and there sure was more bass now with the mod.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #23 of 56
Haha, the solder seems to have gone just fine, because now that I'm paying more attention I noticed that the cable I soldered was one that couldn't have been causing the problems because it runs right to the left driver. So since it's still not working I guess I'll have to resolder all of the cables running to the right driver in the left one and all the ones in the right driver.

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #24 of 56
I ruined once a K-400 while trying to replace elastics. Broke some wires too.
But I have a son who can solder
icon10.gif

Still sure that I won't do this mod. It would be the end of my AKG, clumsy as I am....

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #25 of 56
There's nothing obviously wrong with any of the soldered ends of the internal wires, so I guess I should just replace them entirely instead of just doing new soldered ends. Those wires are very thin, so I could see them breaking internally if I got them in nasty angles when I was messing around before. Note that I'm something of a moron, so please tell me if that's unlikely.

Anyway, I'll wait until tomorrow before I start messing around again. I might have to buy new cables, because the speaker wires I have might not fit in there.

Oct 25, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

It is a strange mod. K701....no need to improve the sound.

Thank you very much for your discovery!
Unluckily(for you) this is not a discussion thread if k701 need to improve sound or not.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #28 of 56
As for first post.
QQQ,

Ah, no problem. I help you to understand:
K601 has such frequency response.
5938aadbed73.png

K701 has a little more of bass. It is very good. Why do you want to change it? Do you have any ideas to do k701 а little better? How to change total harmonic distortion? Аh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back