K601\701 bass increase mod (also applicable to k501, 500 etc..)
Feb 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #47 of 56
Recently I've read a post by sve! on an eurasian forum. He suggested poking or blocking the dampening material to improve driver matching.
BTW, I've gone in opposite direction recently. I improved dampening by blocking driver center hole by foam. Something about underdampened midbass makes me feel sick.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xelor, there're not nearly much difference. It's slight tweaking only. Even with the mod they remain relatively bass-light cans.

First things first. Thank you for sharing this mod
regular_smile .gif

I performed the mod and I must respectfully disagree with this statement.

In my opinion this mod makes a very significant change in my K701's. There is significantly more bass response.

I'm not sure if I like this much bass in these cans. I'm going to experiment with this and see if damping one of these ports, instead of leaving it wide open, will bring it down some.

It's always irked me somewhat that many Head-Fiers dismiss this great product simply because it does not present the bottom end like "brand X". What's worse is that I've even seen comments like this phone has "no bass", which is blatantly false and misleading to those interested in stepping up to a higher-end headphone.

I've always been happy with my K701's but curiosity got the better of me, and like you said, this is a reversible mod.

Edit: Well, I turned a couple of CD's and this mod goes too far for me. I put the plastic back over the ports.
Anyone opening up their K701's be advised that the wires on the right side will not take much jostling around. I had to re-solder the wires. I used CAT5 wire so it'll be more durable in case I ever decide to tinker again.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #49 of 56
I'm wondering if this modification might move the K70X from more of a closed box to a bass reflex type setup, with the tuning of the "box" determined by the size of the opening. If so, I could see it resulting in an increase in midbass and a corresponding decrease in the lowest frequencies. If my speculation is correct, I suspect that it may result in a somewhat boomy midbass hump, which some seem to prefer. I'm curious about it, but will hold back until my K702s have been adequately broken in.

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #50 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12Bass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if this modification might move the K70X from more of a closed box to a bass reflex type setup, with the tuning of the "box" determined by the size of the opening. If so, I could see it resulting in an increase in midbass and a corresponding decrease in the lowest frequencies. If my speculation is correct, I suspect that it may result in a somewhat boomy midbass hump, which some seem to prefer. I'm curious about it, but will hold back until my K702s have been adequately broken in.

You are spot on in your speculation imo. One of the CD's I tested this mod with was Devaitions Project. That disc has some uber-deep bass. With one port open, the deep bass extension was just not there but the upper bass and lower midrange was really dominant and uncontrolled.
Upper-midrange clarity was also compromised when I listened to Nora Jones

The very tight and controlled bass is one of the things I like about the K701. I almost wish I had two pairs. One to keep stock and one to loosen up.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by limin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the true spirit of head-fi compels me to ask...why not get another pair cswann1?

LMAO!! Good call, and it may happen. Right now I'm contemplating an Audio-gd Compass for listening to music while on the PC. I'm also itching to get my hands on a Denon AH-D5000 for exactly the reason I tried this mod. For some material, I'd like a more fun, bass heavy sound than my AKG's have.

I've pretty much made up my mind about the Compass. From the testers response it's looking like a damn fine piece of gear and the intro price is the clincher. Still just considering the Denons.

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by rvikul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a non-intrusive way to even slightly enhance the bass on the K701? I dont trust my skills enough to dismantle this thing.

Thanks!

As far as a non-intrusive mod, I've not heard of one. If someone were to craft some custom leather/pleather earpads that might do it.

Taking a hot finishing nail and making a small hole on the plastic vent cover is tempting but is less reversible than just taking taking off the plastic. Doing that may boost low end
response slightly, but then we're back to taking them apart.

I didn't find it too difficult. I used four toothpicks (two each on opposite sides very close together) to remove the screen so as not to scratch it. Once the two small screws are removed from the white plastic cover, it takes a good bit of force to squeeze the thing hard enough to disengage the tabs that hold it in place. After that it's pretty easy but you have to be very gentle to avoid breaking wires.

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #55 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by rvikul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a non-intrusive way to even slightly enhance the bass on the K701? I dont trust my skills enough to dismantle this thing.

Try replacing foam donoughs (they should be under earpads - just twist 'em CCW to remove and CW to install back) with something less transparent. Pleather earpads may also help.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #56 of 56
...so I had some. here are the clue photos for you!
The left channel was intermittent. What I found was detached coil on the left driver. So I soldered it to the base of the pin ( see the picture), since it got shorter to run it to the original solder point. Not every single step was photo documented, so keep track when you remove parts! It will help you to put them back together assembling.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back