K550 vs Hp100 vs MDR-1r? Anyone compared these?
Jun 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

eltocliousus

Member of the Trade: Audible Bond
They're all similar in price, I don't have much experience in closed headphones sadly, does anyone know how they compare to one another? I'm certain answers will be useful to many in the future too.

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 19
I haven't heard any of them but from just reading through the threads, seems that a lot of people are disappointed in the MDR1-R, stating that its sound quality is a bit lacking for its price.  On the other end, I have heard nothing but praise for the K550s, with many people saying that it has one of the widest soundstages of any closed headphones.  The K550 are pretty big physically though from what I gather, making them strictly for home-use rather than as a portable.

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 19
Yeah, I'd say the 1r isn't worth $300, it should be more like $200 (not saying they're bad for $300 but there are some $200 headphones that surpass it).

I'd say get the ATH WS99. Better than the 1r.

There are other newer options: the kef m500, ha sz1000 or sz2000.

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
I haven't heard any of them but from just reading through the threads, seems that a lot of people are disappointed in the MDR1-R, stating that its sound quality is a bit lacking for its price.  On the other end, I have heard nothing but praise for the K550s, with many people saying that it has one of the widest soundstages of any closed headphones.  The K550 are pretty big physically though from what I gather, making them strictly for home-use rather than as a portable.

InnerFidelity states: "With it's very good looks, very good comfort, good sound quality, and very attractive price, I find myself compelled to put these versatile headphones up on the Wall of Fame as the best all around portable, around the ear headset."

That's hardly disappointment. Honestly, if you haven't heard a can, you should stay away from recommending (or not recommending it). It doesn't help the people who need the feedback.

Now to address OP's question, I haven't tried the HP100 (I want to badly), but I have used the K550 extensively and I own the 1R. They are different in purpose. The K550 is a neutral closed can for home use. The 1R has some emphasized mids and is the best all around portable closed can (I definitely agree with InnerFidelity's review). I like both cans a lot, but would never use the K550 on the go or use the 1R at home. The question comes down to function then. If you are buying for home use, buy the K550. Just make sure it fits your head as it is a very large headphone. If you are on the go a lot and need something to carry around, the 1R is perfect and it's about the most comfortable headphone I've used as well.

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 19
There you go again roguegeek, defending your precious mdr 1r! :D. I swear if anyone anywhere on head-fi bashes the 1r, you come to the rescue. lol

Just me but I feel that every portable I buy is overpriced (except for the ATH WS99 at $200). The MDR 1r, momentum, fidelio l1, m100, etc, should all be around $200 IMO. I'm don't insult the 1r when I say it hold only be worth $200, I'm insulting the whole portable market.

I'd say look into:
MDR 1R
Sennheiser Momentum
ATH WS99
HA SZ1000/2000
KEF M500
M100
NAD VISO HP50 (not sure if they're out yet)
PSB M4U 1

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
There you go again roguegeek, defending your precious mdr 1r!
biggrin.gif
. I swear if anyone anywhere on head-fi bashes the 1r, you come to the rescue. lol

Just me but I feel that every portable I buy is overpriced (except for the ATH WS99 at $200). The MDR 1r, momentum, fidelio l1, m100, etc, should all be around $200 IMO. I'm don't insult the 1r when I say it hold only be worth $200, I'm insulting the whole portable market.

I'd say look into:
MDR 1R
Sennheiser Momentum
ATH WS99
HA SZ1000/2000
KEF M500
M100
NAD VISO HP50 (not sure if they're out yet)
PSB M4U 1

haha. It's not like I mean to do that. I actually try real hard to keep it very balanced. It's just I did a lot of research and testing looking for the perfect portable closed can under $350 and, for my money and preferences, it did stand alone. I will absolutely mention all of its competitors when someone asks for recommendations. It's just with this particular post, the OP only asked about 3. Also, I don't like responses that are like, "well I heard it sucked." No good in my mind. That's why I love hearing your feedback too. Because it comes from your own personal experiences.

Alright alright, I promise for the next week, I wont mention the 1R even once! 
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
haha. It's not like I mean to do that. I actually try real hard to keep it very balanced. It's just I did a lot of research and testing looking for the perfect portable closed can under $350 and, for my money and preferences, it did stand alone. I will absolutely mention all of its competitors when someone asks for recommendations. It's just with this particular post, the OP only asked about 3. Also, I don't like responses that are like, "well I heard it sucked." No good in my mind. That's why I love hearing your feedback too. Because it comes from your own personal experiences.

wink.gif

Actually, the MDR-1R is a very good headphone for portable use other than that, I would definately prefer the AKG K550 over it in terms of everything [ with exceptional of portability and probably style? ]. For $300, 1R is a nice looking cane, smooth sounding and well colored headphone for portable use as well as it's comfort... Momentum is the one that I thought it is overpriced... I hope it drop down to maybe same price as the AKG K550? You can't blame Sennheiser for the high price anyway, the leather material and stainless steel as well as the very nice looking design, it takes up a lot of effort! You are just paying more on the material used to build it than SQ for Momentum

Billson :D

** I will continue your mention on the 1R next week... serious, it's one of the best for portable use as well as casual XD ** [Maybe XD ]

Jun 10, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #8 of 19
I just prefer open headphones in the same price range too much.

wink.gif

Thanks!

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
I just prefer open headphones in the same price range too much.
Thanks!

Oh absolutely, but it's like anything else. If you're going to do a job, make sure you bring the right tool. There's obvious situations where an open can would be detrimental and visa versa.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

InnerFidelity states: "With it's very good looks, very good comfort, good sound quality, and very attractive price, I find myself compelled to put these versatile headphones up on the Wall of Fame as the best all around portable, around the ear headset."

That's hardly disappointment. Honestly, if you haven't heard a can, you should stay away from recommending (or not recommending it). It doesn't help the people who need the feedback.

Now to address OP's question, I haven't tried the HP100 (I want to badly), but I have used the K550 extensively and I own the 1R. They are different in purpose. The K550 is a neutral closed can for home use. The 1R has some emphasized mids and is the best all around portable closed can (I definitely agree with InnerFidelity's review). I like both cans a lot, but would never use the K550 on the go or use the 1R at home. The question comes down to function then. If you are buying for home use, buy the K550. Just make sure it fits your head as it is a very large headphone. If you are on the go a lot and need something to carry around, the 1R is perfect and it's about the most comfortable headphone I've used as well.

My opinion for the 1R is a bit different.

I find the Sony MDR 1R not so good for portable use,because the colored/emphasized midrange is strong to my ears at louder than normal volume,and the wind issue (the wind noise through the holes on the earcups) is prety bad,unacceptable for a portable headphone. The isolation is not that great too.(my shure 840 has better isolation for example.)
On the other hand,I believe that 1R is quite good for home,low to moderate volume listening,because of the reasons I mentioned above.It's sound signature works well for me at quiet places and at lower volumes.

To the op,I had the K550 for few days in the past,and I own the 1R.

I liked the sound of the K550 a bit more,it's more neutral and crisp (with just a bit emphasized treble at some high frequensies though not that bad to make it treble heavy)but I had some comfort and build quality issues with my pair,so I returned it and took my money back.

if you don't want to take them outside to the street,shure srh 840 is also very good,It's my favorite closed headphone right now both for unamped and amped use.

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #12 of 19
Everyone's taste and hearing is different,so there are different opinions as always.

I also agree with innerfidelity review of the sony 1r,but I disagree that it's a good portable headphone.At least for me it's not so good for portable use.
If there is no wind,and the place is not noisy,I think it would be fine to use it as portable at normal volume level.

If there is wind outside,I can't listen to the music,realy.Sometimes I like listening to the music at the balcony from my ipod,and there were many times I switced from 1R to srh840,because the wind noise was bad with the sony's (and the wind was not that strong all the times).The wind issue is a very serious flaw in my opinion.

I actually like the sony's,they are nicely made,comfortable,easy to drive and they have their own sound signature which I think is quite good at lower to normal volumes.But I believe someone could find a better portable headphone.

So if the op wants something to use at the street/outside,maybe he would better look at sennheiser momentum,new kef m500,something like that.For home use I believe both 1R and K550 are very good headphones,and both are easy to drive from portables too if you want some portability in the house,at the office etc.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #13 of 19
The 1R is controversial because of its sound signature, which is relatively unique. If you like playing with vintage tube gear to get really warm, thick, smooth mids, you will love the 1R. If you like traditional v-shaped sound, you will hate the 1R because it's the exact opposite. K550 is very flat, neutral, detailed, with a large soundstage, which is what most audiophiles on Head-Fi prefer, hence the positive reviews. I have no idea what the HP100 sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back